why are there so many bulky weightlifters?

Options

Replies

• IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Gimme this:
    bane-dark-knight-rises-image-tom-hardy1.jpg

over this:
    model.jpg

any day of the week, and twice on Sunday
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do very little cardio 2-3 times a week. I'm not bulky. I lift 6 days a week...

Bodybuilding is such an art that its often misunderstood. There are certain competitions out there that allow Steroids and this is probably why you are thinking of "bulky"

This is a NATURAL body building site in which they will drug test you. These competitors are not bulky =)

http://www.thenaturalmusclenetwork.com/

Wow, I opened up that site and a girl I went to high school with was staring me in the face!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT.

Weight lifting made me so bulky I can't even leave the house.

Avoid at all costs, it'll make you look fat.

Edit : I'm not talking pleasantly plump kind've fat..I'm talking the great escape of Shamu fat. Thank god for my handy shake weights and mini trampoline ;)

We need evidence of this. To make sure it never happens to us.

THE HORROR!

tumblr_mcxi61hTf21rrc78e.gif

Sorry, there's no way you could fit me in a single picture frame. You might get a closeup of my right arm, though

Please, Can I try?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Gimme this:

over this:
    model.jpg

Really? Not for me! That second guy is yummy!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I did double check on Wikipedia re: Arnold, which focused on his body building career.

My understanding is that body builders do cut a lot more than weight lifters do. They care more about the look than just lifting massive amounts of weight. For example, this guy wouldn't make it at a body building competition: http://www.manassasbarbellclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/yevgeny-chigishev.jpg

Minor clarification or you: bodybuilding is a subset of weightlifting. Power lifting is also a subset of weightlifting.

You are saying weightlifters. You mean power lifters. I hope that clears up any confusion.

Oh. Exactly. Thanks so much for the clarification and sorry about being unclear!!!

Powerlifters have a lot of fat. Fat is strong. They don't know why, it just is. My silly uneducated theory is that it adds support and energy to the muscle. If they cut, they would not be able to lift as much. Ask any bodybuilder that cut. They couldn't lift as haeavy while cutting as they could while packing on muscle.
    I believe it's something to do with the loaded force of the barbell being distributed through the fat as well as the musculature and skeletal system.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    This has to be one of my favorite threads EVER! Right after his other thread referenced herein. =)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I did double check on Wikipedia re: Arnold, which focused on his body building career.

My understanding is that body builders do cut a lot more than weight lifters do. They care more about the look than just lifting massive amounts of weight. For example, this guy wouldn't make it at a body building competition: http://www.manassasbarbellclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/yevgeny-chigishev.jpg

Minor clarification or you: bodybuilding is a subset of weightlifting. Power lifting is also a subset of weightlifting.

You are saying weightlifters. You mean power lifters. I hope that clears up any confusion.

Oh. Exactly. Thanks so much for the clarification and sorry about being unclear!!!

Powerlifters have a lot of fat. Fat is strong. They don't know why, it just is. My silly uneducated theory is that it adds support and energy to the muscle. If they cut, they would not be able to lift as much. Ask any bodybuilder that cut. They couldn't lift as haeavy while cutting as they could while packing on muscle.
    I believe it's something to do with the loaded force of the barbell being distributed through the fat as well as the musculature and skeletal system.

This is one of the reasons why I don't want to drop below 23% body fat. I look hot at 18%, but anything below 20% and I lose strength. Occasionally, I have to carry and hold two struggling toddlers and I need all the power I can get.
  • likitisplit
    Options
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I bet you work for planet fitness lol
  • Erika_Whitney
    Erika_Whitney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    one word. DIET!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I bet you work for planet fitness lol

:heart:
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Gimme this:

over this:
    model.jpg

Both will get the job done.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Gimme this:

over this:
    model.jpg

Or one, or the other. I'm not picky. Either, both, over, under, beside.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    people will say they dont do cardio because weightlifting is good for fat loss but i see a lot of guys who have a lot of muscle AND body fat. no muscle striations (sp?) at all
    who wants to look bulky? i dont understand why the guy built like a monster truck doesnt want to do cardio to burn that excess fat
    but he will lift weights day in day out

Cause they don't like cardio.... They like weights.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    Gimme this:

over this:
    model.jpg

Or one, or the other. I'm not picky. Either, both, over, under, beside.

I :heart: Tom Hardy :love:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    people will say they dont do cardio because weightlifting is good for fat loss but i see a lot of guys who have a lot of muscle AND body fat. no muscle striations (sp?) at all
    who wants to look bulky? i dont understand why the guy built like a monster truck doesnt want to do cardio to burn that excess fat
    but he will lift weights day in day out

Cause they don't like cardio.... They like weights.
    You can do cardio too, most of the powerlifters I know do cardio. They also eat at a surplus to build and maintain muscle mass. Big and bulky doesn't automatically mean out of shape. Look at nfl linemen.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

MOAR TOM HARDY PICS

tom-hardy-warrior-image-1.jpg

tom-hardy-bane-transformation-black-and-white-speak-of-the-devil-he-shall-appear.jpg

Now, this thread is better.
  • freebirdjones
    Options

MOAR TOM HARDY PICS

tom-hardy-warrior-image-1.jpg

tom-hardy-bane-transformation-black-and-white-speak-of-the-devil-he-shall-appear.jpg

Now, this thread is better.

:love: :wink: :blushing: