I too have now experienced "diet sabotage"

Options
124»

Replies

• kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You need him to respect your boundaries as well. Give them away. If he complains, well, he should have asked you.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Jruzer, does a weight lifter put a 300 lb weight in the middle of his living room to exercise his muscle power? Or does he build up gradually within his capacity? It's the same with "will power". If a dieter knows they have will power for one treat, then that's their capacity. No reason to set themselves up to fail.

I'm not sure what other option there is. Either she exercises self control or she doesn't and eats all the food. Eating one is self control. Eating none is self control. Freezing for later is self control. Throwing them out is self control, of a sort. When life throws pies at you, you make yourself a tall, cool glass of piemonade.

That said, it does sound like there are (somewhat sinister) family dynamics in play. I'm not excusing the father if he really has ulterior motives.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    to everyone saying just "throw food away" why not at the LEAST give it to a charity or take it to the hospital for the kids in the children's ward or something...

always amazed at people who want to throw away food because it is viewed as "bad"..

news flash ..food is not good or bad, what matters is the overall diet and hitting macro/micro/calorie goals...
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    I say instead of turning drama queen about it, just thank dad for being so thoughtful and when he walks out toss them in the trash.

Problem solved. It's not like he can hold you down to shove cookies and fudge down your throat.

Amen. I honestly don't understand why she felt the need to make a thread about this (or the point)… Just toss it in the trash.

The point was probably to get support given that she was placed in a situation where her choices weren't supported. The lack of compassion and understanding on MFP these last few days has been unbelievable.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    so disagreeing = lack of compassion now???? wow...!
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

And this is adding to the community how exactly? :huh:
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    to everyone saying just "throw food away" why not at the LEAST give it to a charity or take it to the hospital for the kids in the children's ward or something...

always amazed at people who want to throw away food because it is viewed as "bad"..

news flash ..food is not good or bad, what matters is the overall diet and hitting macro/micro/calorie goals...

That's a good idea too. I dunno about where the OP lives but we have a local food bank I could take unwanted food gifts too now I'm thinking about it.

Although I'm pretty greedy so food gifts are rarely rejected by me.
  • StephanieAZ82
    StephanieAZ82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would give it away. I am pretty good at staying away from sweets, but when it comes to pizza, that's another story! So I get pizza, eat what I can fit into my day and give the rest away. I usually get pizza on church potluck night and my family takes the rest with them. It works out nicely! :)
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You can't blame your dad for your lack of self control. Put on your big girl panties and put the cookies in the freezer.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I say instead of turning drama queen about it, just thank dad for being so thoughtful and when he walks out toss them in the trash.

Problem solved. It's not like he can hold you down to shove cookies and fudge down your throat.

Amen. I honestly don't understand why she felt the need to make a thread about this (or the point)… Just toss it in the trash.

Maybe we have been invited to a pity party?
  • cmcoleman93
    cmcoleman93 Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This must have been very difficult, but it's progress! You successfully said no to a temptation. That in itself is something to be proud of. Think of when you first started your dieting and how you may or may not have eaten them versus you saying no this time. Good for you:)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

I agree, but I know that (around here) a lot of places won't take anything that has been homemade or not in a factory-sealed container, for health and cleanliness reasons. In this case I'd try to give them away to someone I know or see if a charity or hospital or whatever will accept home-baked goods.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't be ungrateful. Your dad thought of you. Just say thank you and explain him the situation politely.

From what she said, she DID explain...and he was mocking her, not trying to be thoughtful.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should reconsider your living situation? If it's that serious of an issue it's worth serious thought.
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you are saying this is a "disagree free" community?? the forums disagree with you ..

see what I did there...
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options

so you are saying this is a "disagree free" community?? the forums disagree with you ..

see what I did there...

You're able to disagree, of course. You might find this video informative though:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_how_to_speak_so_that_people_want_to_listen?language=en
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Maybe she just wanted some advice or support...

• shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    I would also suggest bringing into work. I do it all the time when I go baking crazy. Share the love :)

And @ndj1979 not everyone has a rock solid willpower like you do. Some need to build it up where they can have "just one piece" and be satisfied. So please take your condescending attitude elsewhere, thanks :)

Not sure why this is flagged, but I have to agree. ndj1979, you are successful at maintaining your health, obviously, and I believe that you have some good comments and advice, but perhaps commenting on threads where people are struggling with things you don't understand isn't the best place for you to be. If you don't understand someone's struggle, pointing out that you have no problems with it isn't exactly helpful. I think that's all this post was trying to say.

This post is why I wish there was a LIKE button.

So much LIKE for this post!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm not sure what other option there is. Either she exercises self control or she doesn't and eats all the food. Eating one is self control. Eating none is self control. Freezing for later is self control. Throwing them out is self control, of a sort. When life throws pies at you, you make yourself a tall, cool glass of piemonade.

I agree that getting the excess cookies out of the house is a form of self-control. It's less stressful than leaving them on the kitchen counter for grazing.