I too have now experienced "diet sabotage"

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jchenks wrote: »
    I'm the same as you OP if I have one cookie... my brain switches into this horrible person and it's like "EAT ALL THE COOKIES!!!!!"
    I have learned to not have any at all or drop them in a bin.... I think I saw other comments above that you could perhaps bring them in to work for others if you work in an environment that allows that.

Often times people who "sabatoge" don't really even know they are doing it. It's important to be strong and also make that person aware (even if you have to tell them several times).

is this what happens...

sugar_gif_zpsede21a2f.gif
  • ndj1979
    Options
    does this mean my mom is sabotaging me when I come home and she has cookies baked or pie for dessert???
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    does this mean my mom is sabotaging me when I come home and she has cookies baked or pie for dessert???

It would if you had explicitly said that you cannot eat those foods because they cause you to binge.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options

She doesn't ask you to eat all the desserts at once, does she? Or taunt you when you say your watching how much you eat?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, you could freeze them and enjoy one every once in awhile.

I don't have that kind of self control. When I buy treats I usually go out to buy them, and I only buy one single serve.

you don't have the self control to freeze them...really???

No I don't. Because I would take them out and eat them before they are properly frozen.

Is there someone who you can ask to freeze them for you? Maybe if you just don't see it being done it'll help? Or... maybe you should sacrifice one day of normal food and eat only fudge up to maintenance! That might be a terrible idea. But you also might never want fudge again after that.
  • ndj1979
    Options

It would if you had explicitly said that you cannot eat those foods because they cause you to binge.

LOL OK ...

moms baking = sabotage..

got ya...

• PoisonIvy088
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could freeze them and enjoy one every once in awhile.

I don't have that kind of self control. When I buy treats I usually go out to buy them, and I only buy one single serve.

you don't have the self control to freeze them...really???

No I don't. Because I would take them out and eat them before they are properly frozen.

Is there someone who you can ask to freeze them for you? Maybe if you just don't see it being done it'll help? Or... maybe you should sacrifice one day of normal food and eat only fudge up to maintenance! That might be a terrible idea. But you also might never want fudge again after that.

That's not actually a lot of fudge you know. They are very high calorie. Haha
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My coworkers love it when I bring my leftovers!! Cookies, muffins, cakes. I must have "escaped" from at least 5000 calories that way lol
  • morgo20
    morgo20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Strong Will Power.. id have devoured them haha
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Take them to work or school and share them or just throw them in the trash. It is very, very freeing the first time you throw away food. I hate the waste, but I also hate having food I can't eat in front of me all the time.
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You do realize that eating ONE cookie a day isn't going to ruin your weight loss, right?

No it won't. But it has to be HER decision. Why should she feel obligated to eat a cookie everyday just because someone else thought she should eat them?

Giving them away is a great option. And if I were you, I would just do it in front of him. And then gently explain to him that you are very serious about weight loss.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    OP, I notice from your profile that you only have 12lbs to lose, maybe the reason your Dad laughs is because he genuinely doesn't think you need to lose any weight? I would imagine that unless you're tiny you probably don't look overweight if you only have that much to lose :) Not being negative there, just a thought :)
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    OP, I notice from your profile that you only have 12lbs to lose, maybe the reason your Dad laughs is because he genuinely doesn't think you need to lose any weight? I would imagine that unless you're tiny you probably don't look overweight if you only have that much to lose :) Not being negative there, just a thought :)

He knows the situation of why I need to lose. :smile: unfortunately. If he didn't, I wouldn't be mad at him.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest bringing into work. I do it all the time when I go baking crazy. Share the love :)

And @ndj1979 not everyone has a rock solid willpower like you do. Some need to build it up where they can have "just one piece" and be satisfied. So please take your condescending attitude elsewhere, thanks :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    I would also suggest bringing into work. I do it all the time when I go baking crazy. Share the love :)

And @ndj1979 not everyone has a rock solid willpower like you do. Some need to build it up where they can have "just one piece" and be satisfied. So please take your condescending attitude elsewhere, thanks :)

pointing out that mom baking some food is not sabotage is condescending???

• Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Did you ask him why he laughed??? Sounds like he is not taking it serious. Has he seen you cheating on the diet, or is ha just trying to undermind you?

Sorry to hear it, personally I would throw them away ASAP, and if you did it in front of him, maybe he will get the message that buying these things are a waste of money.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You could eat all of it, in addition to your normal food intake and gain about 1 1/2 pounds. (fudge approx 2,000 cals and cookies approx 2,500 cals. Maybe 5,000 cals total) If you really think about it, is this really worth all the grief? Seems to be a molehill problem. Dad laughing at you might be more of a mountain :\
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I say instead of turning drama queen about it, just thank dad for being so thoughtful and when he walks out toss them in the trash.

Problem solved. It's not like he can hold you down to shove cookies and fudge down your throat.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    I say instead of turning drama queen about it, just thank dad for being so thoughtful and when he walks out toss them in the trash.

Problem solved. It's not like he can hold you down to shove cookies and fudge down your throat.

Amen. I honestly don't understand why she felt the need to make a thread about this (or the point)… Just toss it in the trash.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »

Not sure why this is flagged, but I have to agree. ndj1979, you are successful at maintaining your health, obviously, and I believe that you have some good comments and advice, but perhaps commenting on threads where people are struggling with things you don't understand isn't the best place for you to be. If you don't understand someone's struggle, pointing out that you have no problems with it isn't exactly helpful. I think that's all this post was trying to say.