I too have now experienced "diet sabotage"

Options

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You know the sweets wasn't that bad, but the part that angered me the most, was him laughing in my face when I said I'm trying to lose weight.

Then I would definitely spend a while picking The One I was going to eat and throw the rest in the trash.
  • Artladyla
    Artladyla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Put them down the garbage disposal and don't look back.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'll message you my mailing address. Mmm...cookies
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You know the sweets wasn't that bad, but the part that angered me the most, was him laughing in my face when I said I'm trying to lose weight.
    In this situation, there's always the somewhat less mature but more satisfying reaction of smiling sweetly at him as he watches you dump all of it in the trash.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Figure out which one you really like, and pack them up into single-serving ziplock bags. Eat a bag when it fits into your macros, and take the rest to work. Share the pain!

My wife is an amazing baker, which makes dieting hell. The best thing I can do is share the caloric load and take the goodies to work and get them the hell out of my house!
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Figure out which one you really like, and pack them up into single-serving ziplock bags. Eat a bag when it fits into your macros, and take the rest to work. Share the pain!

My wife is an amazing baker, which makes dieting hell. The best thing I can do is share the caloric load and take the goodies to work and get them the hell out of my house!

Mm. I wish that was an option. But from past experience, I'm better off just giving it all away at once. Because one bag will lead to another, and another, and another. And before I know it, its gone.

That's just me. It bothers me until its not there anymore. When I buy cookies I usually buy those little packs of 4. That way, I can eat them all and then its finished. There's no going back for more because there is no more. :smile:
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The fudge I got can be frozen for months. Can your fudge not be frozen?

Not sure to be honest. As I said I normally don't buy so much sweets. I just buy one, eat it, and then its done.

Ya for the cookies I am going to go with the giving them away idea. I mentioned freezing the fudge because after freezing the fudge it has to be cut into smaller pieces to eat. I got a half pound of fudge last month and I cut it into smaller pieces and let a piece soften before I eat it. Because it takes a while to soften I was thinking you could cut a serving off and use that as your piece of fudge for the day. This only works if you like your fudge soft though and if you can freeze the bigger chunk of fudge.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Jruzer, does a weight lifter put a 300 lb weight in the middle of his living room to exercise his muscle power? Or does he build up gradually within his capacity? It's the same with "will power". If a dieter knows they have will power for one treat, then that's their capacity. No reason to set themselves up to fail.

@PoisonIvy088, I'd be half tempted to give them all away publicly. Shame on your dad.

THIS ^^^
    You don't need to freeze them. You don't need to give them away secretly. You don't need to have more willpower. You need to do what is right for you and if that means they get buried in the trash, then that's what you do. You would not bring home things that your dad has a hard time NOT eating, out of respect for his dietary needs and restrictions. You trying to lose weight is no different. He needs to respect the decision you've made even if he doesn't like or agree with it.

And just so you know, you'll have the last laugh in due time. Your dad's jealousy and insecurities have no place in your dieting plan. Tell him if he brings the stuff home, HE needs to eat them or they will go to waste. Since he CAN'T eat it, he's wasting his money. He won't do it often if he sees you're sticking to your plan. And I'm proud of you. You keep it up and don't quit! And the laughing...that was mean. But when you reach your goal, your dad will be proud too. Jealous, but proud.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I'd eat a couple of cookies and a few bits of fudge, and give the rest away or bring them into work with for me to bribe my colleagues with when I want a hot drink but can't be bothered to get up and fill the kettle ;)

Yep. The breakroom table at work is my go-to drop off for treats that need to be adopted. They can eat them, toss them or take them home I don't care. Take a few if you trust yourself otherwise drop off the whole lot. Do whatever works best for you.

... Also no laughing at weight loss, -1 point for dad.

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Don't be ungrateful. Your dad thought of you. Just say thank you and explain him the situation politely.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Did he know you were dieting before he brought them? Your OP makes it sound like he didn't. Sounds like maybe he was trying to do something nice for you. *shrug*
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Regift to your dad on his bday or Father's Day, whichever comes first.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Did he know you were dieting before he brought them? Your OP makes it sound like he didn't. Sounds like maybe he was trying to do something nice for you. *shrug*

Yes he was aware of it. He doesn't take me seriously when I mention it. Which is why he laughed at me (not in a nice way) when I said I want to lose weight.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Mm. I wish that was an option. But from past experience, I'm better off just giving it all away at once. Because one bag will lead to another, and another, and another. And before I know it, its gone.

That's just me. It bothers me until its not there anymore. When I buy cookies I usually buy those little packs of 4. That way, I can eat them all and then its finished. There's no going back for more because there is no more. :smile:

I'm the exact same way. I just can't have it in the house because I end up eating it all at once. I guess subconsciously I figure if I'm going to eventually eat all those calories anyway then I should jut get it over and done with so it doesn't consume my thoughts for the next week or two.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, you could freeze them and enjoy one every once in awhile.

I don't have that kind of self control. When I buy treats I usually go out to buy them, and I only buy one single serve.

you don't have the self control to freeze them...really???
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Jruzer, does a weight lifter put a 300 lb weight in the middle of his living room to exercise his muscle power? Or does he build up gradually within his capacity? It's the same with "will power". If a dieter knows they have will power for one treat, then that's their capacity. No reason to set themselves up to fail.

@PoisonIvy088, I'd be half tempted to give them all away publicly. Shame on your dad.

this may be one of the worst analogies I have seen in a while..
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I don't have that kind of self control. When I buy treats I usually go out to buy them, and I only buy one single serve.

I don't either. Would you mock an alcoholic or someone trying to quit smoking this way?
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you OP if I have one cookie... my brain switches into this horrible person and it's like "EAT ALL THE COOKIES!!!!!"
    I have learned to not have any at all or drop them in a bin.... I think I saw other comments above that you could perhaps bring them in to work for others if you work in an environment that allows that.

Often times people who "sabatoge" don't really even know they are doing it. It's important to be strong and also make that person aware (even if you have to tell them several times).
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

No I don't. Because I would take them out and eat them before they are properly frozen.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Sorry he's not supportive. But well done for not starting in on them!

Throw them away. I don't blame you for not putting them in the freezer if you don't feel like you could moderate them right now.