suggestions on how to make protein powder less gross

Options
I bought a cheap vanilla flavor because that's what I could afford. It tastes so nasty tho. Help please!!!

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    add splenda
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Milk and chocolate syrup.
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ok I came up with a plan. I think I am going to mix it with coffee and make it like an iced latte and see if the coffee can hid some of the nasty
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Cheaper powders tend to taste bad. You typically get what you pay for. Mixing with milk is always a good way to improve the flavor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    clyn27 wrote: »
    I bought a cheap vanilla flavor because that's what I could afford. It tastes so nasty tho. Help please!!!

Buy one that tastes nicer!
  • clyn27
    Options

Buy one that tastes nicer!

I would love nothing more than to spend more money on one that tastes better but I really do not have the funds to do so. And I definitely can't just throw this one away and try a new one. I will have to stick it out til it is gone then try a different one. Any suggestions on one that is not too pricey but doesn't taste absolutely disgusting. I know that none of them are going to taste amazing but one I can at least finish would be nice
  • zenner22
    zenner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of adding coffee. Also, you could just mix it up with less water and drink it super fast like a medicine.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I usually get unflavored protein powder, and then mix it with whatever I want to give it that flavor. Then at least you are not having to try and cover up a gross vanilla or whatever flavor the powder has.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'd throw it out. I got lucky buying protein powders from Popeye's Supplements as the guy selling made me free samples to taste before buying. If I need to buy different types, I'll go with chocolate since chocolate seems to hide the grossness.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Milk, Fruit, PEANUT BUTTER, also don't buy vanilla, buy chocolate.
  • clyn27
    Options
    yeah I went on amazon to try and find a different one and all the reviews for any brand vanilla did not score as well as chocolate. maybe I will go buy a different one today and do half and half so I am not wasting the one I already have.
  • clyn27
    Options
    ok just ordered a chocolate one on amazon along with some dumb bells. I have a bar bell and plates just didn't have dumb bells. I am now broke, woo hoo lol
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't drink it. Get your protein from food sources.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    banana and PB....problem solved :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Eat protein food instead. I'm slowly phasing out protein powders (on my last can), as I find the room in my belly for all the meats and Greek yogurts and such. Food tastes much better than powders, too.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi ….you ASKED for ideas in USING the powder, not throwing it out, eat meat, etc, yada yada..here is a great list of places to hide it for anyone!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=15_new_ways_to_use_protein_powder
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ok I came up with a plan. I think I am going to mix it with coffee and make it like an iced latte and see if the coffee can hid some of the nasty

Yes, I do this with my vanilla (mine is nice though), if it's still nasty, ditch it and buy one you like.

Are you mixing it with water? If so, they are much nicer with milk.
    yeah I went on amazon to try and find a different one and all the reviews for any brand vanilla did not score as well as chocolate. maybe I will go buy a different one today and do half and half so I am not wasting the one I already have.

PHD pharma vanilla is gorgeous. Synth6 is nice but high carbs and ON 100% is okay.

• clyn27
    Options
    1 cup of strong coffee
    Half a cup skim milk
    2 tbsp no sugar added nesquick
    1 tbsp fat free French vanilla creamer
    5 ice cubes
    1 scoop of protein powder

Tossed it all in the blender and it actually was not that bad. Sweet success!
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Combine with Whole Milk + Ice Cream + Greek Yogurt + Fresh Fruit.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I mix with almond milk and a teaspoon of instant coffee granules.