Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Get trutien cinnabun.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You can also mix it with a bit of hot chocolate powder, add some cold water and a splash of milk to mix it together, and then add some (not boiling) hot water to finish it for a super great hot chocolate (it's how I have mine).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found a way to get it down. The only way I made it work with the one I tried was to have mine with 1/2 a banana, vanilla yogurt, blueberries... by the time it tasted edible, it got to 250-300 cals, which is the same as a little piece of chicken or pork, but less filling.

I'm wondering if you could try some kind of extract, like for baking. (I've only used vanilla extract, but I'm sure there are others, someone mentioned almond, I bet you could find that)
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    With every thing I put in it it was still under 200 calories so that's not too bad. Omg I totally forgot to put in vanilla extract, I bet that would have really kicked it up a notch!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Mix in oatmeal with some blueberries
  • Metazoick
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Add chicken. Eliminate protein powder. Eat chicken. Problem solved.

Getting protein from actual food sources is pretty much always better, but it should be understood that for some people this just isn't feasible. To get the protein I want I'd have to have 2/3 of my calories every day coming purely from chicken, and even if I could stomach eating that much it doesn't exactly leave much room for anything else - not to mention how stupidly expensive it'd end up being if you only bought the free range/organic stuff, and this is all with somebody who needs less protein than a hell of a lot of people. Chicken is great. Protein powder to top up your protein intake is also great.
  • Metazoick
    Options
    Metazoick wrote: »

Getting protein from actual food sources is pretty much always better, but it should be understood that for some people this just isn't feasible. To get the protein I want I'd have to have 2/3 of my calories every day coming purely from chicken, and even if I could stomach eating that much it doesn't exactly leave much room for anything else - not to mention how stupidly expensive it'd end up being if you only bought the free range/organic stuff, and this is all with somebody who needs less protein than a hell of a lot of people. Chicken is great. Protein powder to top up your protein intake is also great.

First I would ask why 2/3? Why are you eating 75% protein?
    Secondly, there are tons of sources that aren't chicken.

I'm not eating 75% protein, but chicken has around 25g of protein and 220 calories per 100g, and I aim for 125g protein per day which means I'd need to eat 1000+ calories of chicken to hit my protein goals per day. Which is way too much, and as such protein powder is a great addition to all my other protein sources. I know chicken isn't the only one (obviously) but the above was just an example as to how, unless you have a lot of calories to go around or low protein aims, hitting your target purely from food isn't all that easy or even possible depending on how extreme your requirements are. Like I said before, food > powder (food comes with more nutrients), but it isn't like it's silly to supplement.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    The coffee sounds like a pretty smart idea to use up what you have. Dark roast, particularly, I would think. I bought a carton of vanilla yogurt once from Aldi and to me it tasted like plastic, not vanilla.... but I can't afford to throw away food so I put a generous amount of freeze dried coffee in there and mixed it up. It really did help.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You should save your pennies and get yourself a good protein powder - when you get the cheap stuff, other than the fact that it tastes like bad, the quality you get is sub-par. You really do get what you pay for.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The Cellucor ones taste awesome!
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Add it to oatmeal ('proats') with a little vanilla extract and whole milk. Definitely makes it go down easier.
  • Metazoick
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm not eating 75% protein, but chicken has around 25g of protein and 220 calories per 100g, and I aim for 125g protein per day which means I'd need to eat 1000+ calories of chicken to hit my protein goals per day. Which is way too much, and as such protein powder is a great addition to all my other protein sources. I know chicken isn't the only one (obviously) but the above was just an example as to how, unless you have a lot of calories to go around or low protein aims, hitting your target purely from food isn't all that easy or even possible depending on how extreme your requirements are. Like I said before, food > powder (food comes with more nutrients), but it isn't like it's silly to supplement.

I beg to differ. I go for 120-130g per day of protein. On any given day I have 2 whole eggs + 5 or 6 egg whites with bacon. Lunch is some sort of protein, might be beef or fish or chicken or pork, whatever I fancy. Dinner is 6oz of some other protein. You add all that up with the stuff thrown in like my PB sandwich etc and it's a piece of cake to hit my goals. Or should I say, a piece of protein.

It's great that you can hit your goals with food, my point is only that it isn't realistic for *everybody*. I shudder to think how much I'd have to spend to get that much meat a day when I don't buy any factory farmed goods (I spend a fiver or more on 2 smallish chicken breasts alone to get the kinder ones), and a whole box of eggs in one sitting would probably make me feel unwell as I tend to feel pretty full after just two fried, not to mention there's a decent chance we have different calorie aims, so eating enough protein is going to get easier and easier the higher your calorie intake. Without a ton of meat options become way more limited and the mountain of quorn I'd need to eat is just depressing to look at. Days where I have a good amount of meat available to me make it a lot easier, and it isn't like I've never hit my target without supplements, but days where I can't have any and end up with like 40g protein to my name are days where it's obviously best to have some relatively inexpensive powder to boost it to decent levels. Not to mention those who want 200+ grams of protein. Food sources are better, but it's really an oversimplification to say never use powder and simply eat more from food when it may not be that viable for everybody, and it's a sentiment I see a lot.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The best protein powder I have tasted is Bodylogix Decadent Chocolate. I don't see that flavor around anymore but they do still have some kind of chocolate available. Maybe it is the same thing but with a new name.
  • Metazoick
    Options

I beg to differ. I go for 120-130g per day of protein. On any given day I have 2 whole eggs + 5 or 6 egg whites with bacon. Lunch is some sort of protein, might be beef or fish or chicken or pork, whatever I fancy. Dinner is 6oz of some other protein. You add all that up with the stuff thrown in like my PB sandwich etc and it's a piece of cake to hit my goals. Or should I say, a piece of protein.

It's great that you can hit your goals with food, my point is only that it isn't realistic for *everybody*. I shudder to think how much I'd have to spend to get that much meat a day when I don't buy any factory farmed goods (I spend a fiver or more on 2 smallish chicken breasts alone to get the kinder ones), and a whole box of eggs in one sitting would probably make me feel unwell as I tend to feel pretty full after just two fried, not to mention there's a decent chance we have different calorie aims, so eating enough protein is going to get easier and easier the higher your calorie intake. Without a ton of meat options become way more limited and the mountain of quorn I'd need to eat is just depressing to look at. Days where I have a good amount of meat available to me make it a lot easier, and it isn't like I've never hit my target without supplements, but days where I can't have any and end up with like 40g protein to my name are days where it's obviously best to have some relatively inexpensive powder to boost it to decent levels. Not to mention those who want 200+ grams of protein. Food sources are better, but it's really an oversimplification to say never use powder and simply eat more from food when it may not be that viable for everybody, and it's a sentiment I see a lot.
    Ahhhh, well you see the problem with your statement is I never said don't ever use powder. You simply extrapolated that from my statement.

Well, you did initially tell somebody to 'eliminate protein powder' in response to them asking how to make it taste nicer, my statements have simply been in defense of using it when needed, and pointing out that there are plenty of people who it's useful and practically a requirement for. Including you, apparently.
  • LoveSweatAndCheeseburgers
    Options
    Hi there! I use protein powder essentially as an add-in to smoothies, like they do at smoothie places in the mall! I use half a frozen banana or one very small one, a cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of light unsweetened vanilla almond milk (Silk brand, the one that's 30 calories per cup), and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. I don't like the taste of protein powder either, even when using a popular brand like Herbalife. The smoothie masks a lot of the taste. Using frozen fruit also makes it nice and thick, so there is no need to add the additional fat/calories in yogurt.