Maintaining yet eating MORE calories than ever :)

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful update.

I'm about to hit reality too. I think I've gained half a pound in the last week or two, at maintenance now and averaging out every 7 days, every day so will know in a few days whether it's water weight or fat.

I hope I haven't though, it's been so much fun!

But my cycles tend to go like this, fun, then reigning it in. I don't spend a lot of time cutting though, because I jump on gains within a week or two.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    This is always going to be a moving target... I move a lot less in winter than summer. Some weeks I go way overboard sometimes not so much. I use my weight just to be aware - if I am up a pound or two over a week, I just be more conscious and cut back the following week a little. If I am under, I am a little freer the next week or so. There is no one number that will work every week all year for me, but I have a good range I know I can bounce between and stay pretty consistent in weight. I know if I have been extra active that day/week I am not so concerned with the calories, if I have been a slug and not gotten out of bed most of the weekend, I eat more salads those days.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    @Springfield1970‌ 1/2lb I wouldn't worry about....its when it's more like 3lbs (which is my reality! Boohoo!) that I start thinking I'm on the slippery slope! I don't wanna be the curvy one ever again! Yet I love to eat, today I've had almost 1900 cals and I'm fighting the urge to not eat more! Think I'll go to bed so I won't feel hungry lol

I have cycles too, it was going so sweetly and all of a sudden I feel my body has slapped those 3lbs on me out of nowhere - or more like maybe it took a while for the scale to catch on I was eating as much as I was!! Bah humbug lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @asflatasapancake‌ you can go a whole month without a cheat meal! Hats off to ya :smile: I try not to let weight get to me, most days I succeed and others I have major rants lol
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You are living the dream :)
  • goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Am I among the seemingly few who want to eat as MANY calories as possible yet maintain my weight?

I was thinking about a post I made on my newsfeed last night about eating 2200 calories that day, yet still being hungry (it was a high cardio day). I realised to some that I really must sound like a greedy gorb (and maybe I am! lol)

I have become very active since I started my journey with MFP in May 2012, its been a huge factor in me being able to stay trim.

I know for everyone its different, but do people like restricting themselves so much IF they don't actually need to?

For me its fabulous to be able to eat more calories and maintain :smile:

(ps I have been reverse dieting for the past 5 months and having incredible success - btw I'm 5ft 2", 45 yrs old, active and maintain currently on 2100-2300 calories.)

Penny for your thoughts? :smiley:

I'm more likely to unfriend someone if it seems like they're restricting themselves too much. I work a very active job & I run around 35 miles/week. My maintanance calories are set at 2200 & I eat back most of my exercise calories. I'm 5'5", 114lbs & I'm 33. When I don't eat enough, I can't function! Keep doing what you're doing if it works for you. I'm not going to starve myself. But that's just me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @goosebeartalk thank you for your reply, well done on maintaining and I'm glad others are like me and fuel their bodies accordingly :smile:
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am trying to figure out what my maintenance calories and while I am not done figuring it out, I am eating a lot more than I thought I could.

I am 5 feet no inches, 102ish lbs., 40 years old. I just raised my calories by 100 yesterday:
    cardio days: 1,800 - 1900
    strength days: 1,700-1,800
    no workout: 1.600 - 1,700

Weeeeeeeeeee! I am upping my calories again! I am seeing slightly under 100 on the scale here and there.
    cardio days: 1900 - 2000
    strength days: 1800-1900
    no workout: 1700-1800

I see lots of talenti salted caramel gelato in my future :D
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I pretty much want to eat all the things, all the time. So, the most I can and maintain, once I hit maintenance, that's what I plan to do!
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out what my maintenance calories and while I am not done figuring it out, I am eating a lot more than I thought I could.

I am 5 feet no inches, 102ish lbs., 40 years old. I just raised my calories by 100 yesterday:

Weeeeeeeeeee! I am upping my calories again! I am seeing slightly under 100 on the scale here and there.

Thank you for posting this! I have just started adding back calories last week to maintain, and I am small as well (5'3", 113 pounds, 48 yrs old). I was afraid I'd have to eat such a small amount to maintain, and this is very encouraging!
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Jubee13 wrote: »

Thank you for posting this! I have just started adding back calories last week to maintain, and I am small as well (5'3", 113 pounds, 48 yrs old). I was afraid I'd have to eat such a small amount to maintain, and this is very encouraging!

Whew I second this! I'm pretty sure my current TDEE set at 1800 is under what I need, but I need consistency overall or I get shaky days. My blood sugar doesn't like the eating extra on workout days that MFP plans, so I eat the same everyday. I'm kind of monitoring for a bit and plan to adjust, especially as I add mileage and more speed workouts into my running plan. I have three races planned in the next two months, so I want to be fueled well :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @bioklutz weeeee indeed lol :smile: keep up the great work!
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    someone once unfriended me because i 'ate too much' and it made her jealous that with similar stats she couldnt eat as much as me... and that was only net 1700 cals...

ETA net 1700 to lose 1/2lb per week.

Well, their problem, not yours (you know that already though ;) ). I *was* that sort of person a year ago--ate a modest calorie amount, but was gaining because I was uber sedentary (like 3,000 steps was my active day, and my sole activity).

But I listened to folks like you--the "high" calorie women of MFP showed me I, too, had/have the potential to raise my TDEE!

Instead of being jealous, I learned what I needed to do activity level wise to get in the calorie zone I desired. Find a strength program I would stick with, some moderate cardio I enjoy (jogging it is!), and the TDEE numbers went up, up, up!

And yes, OHHHH the energy I now have! I feel like I "smash" it during my workouts and am much more productive doing so. My kids like their "new" upbeat and active mum, too :D

show me pleaaaaaseee how to do this :-)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @williams969 I LOVE your attitude...go you *\o/*
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    @williams969 I LOVE your attitude...go you *\o/*

• rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and have been very active the last 15 months with weight training and some cardio. I too have found that I must eat MORE to maintain the strength to manage the gym. I eat 1800-2200 calories a day. I am even losing about a pound a month right now. My goals have shifted significantly in the last six months to focus on building muscle mass rather than losing weight. While my weight is hanging in the mid 150 range, I have dropped 2 pant sizes!!! I have two books that have really helped me with this journey. THE NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN and THE NEW ME DIET (metabolic effect). They are very interesting reads and focus on more calories and more efficient cardio. I no longer pound the treadmill for an hour. I can burn more calories in a 15 minute, 3mph high incline walk than in 30 min of jogging/running at 4.7 mph!!!
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    bump to follow- thank you
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    someone once unfriended me because i 'ate too much' and it made her jealous that with similar stats she couldnt eat as much as me... and that was only net 1700 cals...

ETA net 1700 to lose 1/2lb per week.

Well, their problem, not yours (you know that already though ;) ). I *was* that sort of person a year ago--ate a modest calorie amount, but was gaining because I was uber sedentary (like 3,000 steps was my active day, and my sole activity).

But I listened to folks like you--the "high" calorie women of MFP showed me I, too, had/have the potential to raise my TDEE!

Instead of being jealous, I learned what I needed to do activity level wise to get in the calorie zone I desired. Find a strength program I would stick with, some moderate cardio I enjoy (jogging it is!), and the TDEE numbers went up, up, up!

And yes, OHHHH the energy I now have! I feel like I "smash" it during my workouts and am much more productive doing so. My kids like their "new" upbeat and active mum, too :D

show me pleaaaaaseee how to do this :-)

There really is no secret. You can raise your TDEE by exercise. Here is one of the many online TDEE calculators available: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It also helps to not be sedentary. Here is an article for reference (if you are using my fitness pals calorie calculator do not include exercise in your activity level): http://antranik.org/proper-activity-level-for-calorie-intake/

I spend most of my work day on my feet so that makes me lightly active. I also work out about 5hours/week. If i put my information into the TDEE calculator I get 1826. It is just a calculator - you may maintain on slightly more or less than what it gives you. I do eat a little more than 1826.

Rdlewis123 - Your transformation is awesome! I have been following New Rules of Lifting for Life since January. I am starting to see some ab muscles! I have a 2 pack showing up on the left side. Every once in awhile I think I see a third pack start to show on the right. It might look a little strange and asymmetrical but it is exciting!
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This is such a helpful thread! I really need help because like all of you, I want to maintain at a higher calorie range but have no idea where to start.
    I'm 5'4, 108lbs and 18 years old. I can say I'm a tiny person but I don't want people to think they can easily break me because of my weight (I'm a pretty tough cookie if you ask me, I just don't look it haha), so I want to start lifting and adding in some cardio since I would love to start swimming again. I stopped exercising last January 26 and just got too lazy to get up and start again. Now that summer started, I want to get back on track and start weight lifting. Problem is, my gym has no barbells and only dumbbells. Is it possible to use dumbbells instead for Stronglifts 5x5? Or does anyone have any strength training routine they can recommend? Thank you! :-) and sorry for the noob question haha

((my goal is to maintain at at least 2,100 calories, maybe even more))