Fridays during Lent

Options

Replies

• Kittens08
    Kittens08 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did steal cut oats for lunch and I am doing an omelet for dinner :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Why would anyone recommend Fish is you aren't eating meat?

Because she said she's doing the Catholic rules.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I say eat some pasta, just less. You could make some Pasta fagioli with a little cheese sprinkled on it, and a small piece of warm Italian bread will do you fine. Go for a walk if you are worried about a few too many calories on just Friday. This dish has plenty of protein. A small bowl and something else is a good dinner...

I would have salad with the soup, but you don't like salads? Well what about other veggies? Some lightly sauteed mushrooms, zucchini, and maybe some sun dried tomato and a little fresh garlic. Easy on the oil and you can eat a lot of this for not a lot of calories.

You could also do a veggie stir fry as the main dish. Broccoli, and whatever else you like. Pour it over some rice, maybe make your own brown sauce for it (a little soy sauce, a little sugar, some water, corn starch) will cook up nice and make everything delicious.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Fish is okay. The story goes that back in the day, the Catholics made up the "no meat on Fridays during lent" because the fishing industry was suffering, and that was their way to boost it.

Odd.

It's been circulating as a story/theory/rumor for ages, but we're talking religion here, so basically stories are fine.

Enough about that......I wish Taco Bell would bring back the lent shrimp tacos!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I'm Roman Catholic and have never heard that dairy products are off limits.

Ditto

Double ditto - and I went to Catholic School

OP - I've been a pescetarian since 1987 so the 'no meat' thing isn't an issue for me, but do you like seafood? Seafood is a very healthy non-meat option.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As mentioned by another poster It's only 4 fridays out of the year--if you don't hit your protein goals those 4 days nothing will happen. I live in Rome, and we eat fish, eggs, dairy, pasta, pizza etc. just no meat toppings. Last year I had the "but fish is meat" discussion with a guy on here. For us fish is a separate thing, and couldn't tell you why. Interesting that early Christians used a fish as their symbol, also the story was "loaves and fishes" not "loaves and steak". o:)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As mentioned by another poster It's only 4 fridays out of the year--if you don't hit your protein goals those 4 days nothing will happen. I live in Rome, and we eat fish, eggs, dairy, pasta, pizza etc. just no meat toppings. Last year I had the "but fish is meat" discussion with a guy on here. For us fish is a separate thing, and couldn't tell you why. Interesting that early Christians used a fish as their symbol, also the story was "loaves and fishes" not "loaves and steak". o:)

Totally random question hoping you will be able to answer. I was just in Rome earlier this week for work and we went out for dinner. It was a fixed menu and our pasta primi course had beans, mushrooms, and some sort of fish in sort of a brothy sauce. Does that dish ring a bell, I would love to know what it is called so I can look up a recipe....
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Pizza and pasta just make sure you eat a portion size. You don't like salad or fish? Really?
  • snowflake954
    Options
    I would love to help you out, but it doesn't sound like one of the classic traditional dishes. Do you remember the name of the restaurant? If it's near where we walk around I could check out the menu.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - no mammals or fowl during lent and I don't like seafood and not a big veggie guy either. Here's what I have done:

Friday fasting - very few calories (protein bar, nuts, etc) it is tough but you feel awesome on Sat morning.

Grilled cheese using whole grain breads, add tomato soup

Bagel with cream cheese - not the best but oh well

Potato soup

Pasta with red sauce

Protein meal replacement shakes
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I would love to help you out, but it doesn't sound like one of the classic traditional dishes. Do you remember the name of the restaurant? If it's near where we walk around I could check out the menu.

Casa Bleve. Here's a pic!
    i6tl1630b8pa.jpg

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options

Fish is okay. The story goes that back in the day, the Catholics made up the "no meat on Fridays during lent" because the fishing industry was suffering, and that was their way to boost it.

Odd.

I think it is only fish b/c beef, pork and fowl were considered a luxury as opposed to fish. Could be wrong tho.

FYI McDonalds created the filet o fish due to poor hamburger sales during Lent.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Kittens08 wrote: »
    I did steal cut oats for lunch and I am doing an omelet for dinner :)
    Please consider making restitution to whomever you stole the cut oats from ;)

Growing up (slightly post-Vatican II, but my mom still did meatless Fridays most of the year -- out of habit, I guess, and maybe to stretch her food budget) we did a lot of grilled cheese and tomato soup; scrambled eggs and vegetable "alphabit" soup; and fish sticks and veggies or cole slaw and fries. Maybe not fitting your macros, though, OP.

Lentil soup is a great, easy choice, whether you make it yourself or go with canned; have a slice of crusty bread on the side. Tofu and veggie stir-fry. Baked potatoes topped with chili beans (no meat) and a little cheese. I like a big pile of cooked veggies (e.g., brussels sprouts, green beans, carrots, mushrooms, cabbage, whatever you like) topped with one or two poached or fried eggs (so the yolk makes a "sauce"), with however much of a carb side (e.g., rice, bulgur, quinoa, pasta) I can fit into my calorie budget.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

From Wikipedia: "The ichthys or ichthus (/ˈɪkθəs/[1]), from the Greek ikhthýs (ἰχθύς, "fish"), is a symbol consisting of two intersecting arcs, the ends of the right side extending beyond the meeting point so as to resemble the profile of a fish. It was used by early Christians as a secret Christian symbol[2] and now known colloquially as the "sign of the fish" or the "Jesus fish."[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthys

also: According to tradition, ancient Christians, during their persecution by the Roman Empire in the first few centuries after Christ, used the fish symbol to mark meeting places and tombs, or to distinguish friends from foes:

According to one ancient story, when a Christian met a stranger in the road, the Christian sometimes drew one arc of the simple fish outline in the dirt. If the stranger drew the other arc, both believers knew they were in good company. Current bumper-sticker and business-card uses of the fish hearken back to this practice.

—Christianity Today, Elesha Coffman, "Ask The Expert"[2]

• snowflake954
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Totally random question hoping you will be able to answer. I was just in Rome earlier this week for work and we went out for dinner. It was a fixed menu and our pasta primi course had beans, mushrooms, and some sort of fish in sort of a brothy sauce. Does that dish ring a bell, I would love to know what it is called so I can look up a recipe....

OK I looked it up and got the address--we walked right near there 2 hours ago! From your picture I can tell you a few things. The pasta used is called mal-talgliata ( badly cut), it is a freshly made pasta, with or without egg, rolled out and cut with a knife a bit haphazardly. There are what we call borlotti beans, in the States--pinto beans. They used a tritato (finely minced carrot, onion and celery), fresh rosemary, and some cherry tomatos. The mushrooms and fish are both chopped up pretty fine, so I can't tell what specific type they are, but I think you could put in what you like. Olive oil and broth--probably vegetable. Finely minced parsely was sprinkled on last.

I would start by putting some olive oil in a non-stick saucepan on low heat with a garlic clove. When the clove starts to brown, take it out. Add tritato plus rosemary, simmer a bit, and I'd probably add a little white wine at this point and then add tomatos, cooked beans and chopped mushrooms, simmer a bit more, add chopped fish. Cook on med-low heat a few minutes and then add broth. Meanwhile, cook your pasta, drain and while still firm add to sauce.

This should give you something similar. The place where you dined looks pretty classy. I'm sure a chef did this. Since I'm an amatuer, I'm just guessing and the proportions are up for grabs. I could do this though and may try it. I'll try and pass by the next time we're near there, and will try to get more info.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Regarding fish: I've also heard a few other ideas on that front.

One is that fish was considered a poor man's food. Anyone could catch fish to eat, whereas livestock or game were much harder to come by.

The other is this (taken from Catholic Answers):
    The word used for meat is carnis. In modern English, the word meat can refer to any animal flesh. But, in the Latin cited here, it refers to mammals and birds only. So, fish, seafood, amphibians, and insects are permitted (assuming you want to eat some of them); but mammals and fowls are not.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »

From Wikipedia: "The ichthys or ichthus (/ˈɪkθəs/[1]), from the Greek ikhthýs (ἰχθύς, "fish"), is a symbol consisting of two intersecting arcs, the ends of the right side extending beyond the meeting point so as to resemble the profile of a fish. It was used by early Christians as a secret Christian symbol[2] and now known colloquially as the "sign of the fish" or the "Jesus fish."[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthys

also: According to tradition, ancient Christians, during their persecution by the Roman Empire in the first few centuries after Christ, used the fish symbol to mark meeting places and tombs, or to distinguish friends from foes:

According to one ancient story, when a Christian met a stranger in the road, the Christian sometimes drew one arc of the simple fish outline in the dirt. If the stranger drew the other arc, both believers knew they were in good company. Current bumper-sticker and business-card uses of the fish hearken back to this practice.

—Christianity Today, Elesha Coffman, "Ask The Expert"[2]

How interesting-thanks. :)
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Regarding fish: I've also heard a few other ideas on that front.

One is that fish was considered a poor man's food. Anyone could catch fish to eat, whereas livestock or game were much harder to come by.

The other is this (taken from Catholic Answers):
    The word used for meat is carnis. In modern English, the word meat can refer to any animal flesh. But, in the Latin cited here, it refers to mammals and birds only. So, fish, seafood, amphibians, and insects are permitted (assuming you want to eat some of them); but mammals and fowls are not.

In Italian meat is "carne" which obviously comes from latin. That would explain why fish is not considered meat here. As I mentioned, last year this guy was argueing with me because I said my husband does not eat meat, but eats fish. I'm American and have not studied latin,so now your explanation makes things alot clearer to me. Thanks. :)
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Not this, because one of the options for observing Lent is no meat, no dairy or eggs on Fridays. You can't have less, you have none.
    For Roman Catholics, fish, eggs & dairy are all ok. We had taco soup tonight - 1 can each white beans, black beans, vegetarian refried beans, rotel tomatoes, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, corn, & taco seasoning. Saute an onion and garlic, drain the corn and beans, heat to boiling& simmer 15 minutes. Yummy!
    - I also have a pinto bean & barley dish, or barley vegetable soup I make. We eat pierogies or macaroni, too--I just eat lower carb earlier those days so that I don't end up with a really carb heavy day.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

OK I looked it up and got the address--we walked right near there 2 hours ago! From your picture I can tell you a few things. The pasta used is called mal-talgliata ( badly cut), it is a freshly made pasta, with or without egg, rolled out and cut with a knife a bit haphazardly. There are what we call borlotti beans, in the States--pinto beans. They used a tritato (finely minced carrot, onion and celery), fresh rosemary, and some cherry tomatos. The mushrooms and fish are both chopped up pretty fine, so I can't tell what specific type they are, but I think you could put in what you like. Olive oil and broth--probably vegetable. Finely minced parsely was sprinkled on last.

I would start by putting some olive oil in a non-stick saucepan on low heat with a garlic clove. When the clove starts to brown, take it out. Add tritato plus rosemary, simmer a bit, and I'd probably add a little white wine at this point and then add tomatos, cooked beans and chopped mushrooms, simmer a bit more, add chopped fish. Cook on med-low heat a few minutes and then add broth. Meanwhile, cook your pasta, drain and while still firm add to sauce.

This should give you something similar. The place where you dined looks pretty classy. I'm sure a chef did this. Since I'm an amatuer, I'm just guessing and the proportions are up for grabs. I could do this though and may try it. I'll try and pass by the next time we're near there, and will try to get more info.

Wow that's amazing! I love that you knew the name of the pasta, because I had never had anything like it, I LOLed at the translation "badly cut" because I commented about the weird shape!
    The rest of your recipe sounds amazingly close as well. The funny thing is this is nothing I would have ordered for myself but it was really good!

We also had eggplant parmigiana and veal saltimbocca as well as a ricotta cheesecake with dark cherry sauce and Sicilian wines. It was a great dinner...