Fridays during Lent

Options

Replies

• GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I suppose people of the same faith follow different rules based upon their locations. Around here it is very common to not eat meat or any product based upon animals for the Fridays - so to me, it's a given. Apparently it's not the same for everyone.

But I'm not about to argue over the rules of Lent - as I said, I thought she was going all meat and meat bi-products. Besides, it's more the observance of Lent than the particulars of what you are giving up, no? :)
  • elizabethpro
    elizabethpro Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Agreed :)
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm Roman Catholic and have never heard that dairy products are off limits.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

Ditto
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    I read it differently, as following the "no meat or dairy" would rule out pizzas and the majority of pastas and being a Lent requirement not a calorie requirement. Too many rules for Lent ;-)

The OP states she's a practicing Catholic. There may be other Christian denominations which may follow a more strict rule, but the Roman Catholic canon states that on Fridays during Lent (excluding Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, when you must fast) you must abstain from eating "meat" (which, for these purposes, is the flesh of a warm-blooded animal or fowl). I've never seen dairy or eggs restricted; in other Eastern churches and such I've seen fish restricted or a full fast required, but never a vegan requirement. I'm not a religious scholar so I'm certain it does exist somewhere, but certainly it wouldn't be common enough to infer that that's why the OP couldn't eat pizza, no? Particularly because she said that she USED to eat these foods but now that she's using MFP she's having trouble?
    ^ That's how I was raised, no warm blooded critter on the dinner plate on Fridays.

OP Spaghetti squash is excellent tasting. We made it for the first time about a week ago and all 4 of my kids scarfed it down. I used it as the noodle for a shrimp scampi and there was nothing left.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a practicing Catholic and we have no meat on any Friday. That being said, sometimes we are invited to dinner and, guess what? Meat! On those days we pray an extra decade of the rosary or spend 30 minutes at adoration. Don't be too "stuck" on the rules - it's your inner attitude that will determine your Lenten outcome. +GB+ o:)
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Stuffed baked portobello mushrooms are a great low carb option.... It's what we're having tonight. I'm stuffing them with shrimp but you can use anything :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Why not eat what you did other years... just less of it?

Because she won't hit her protein goal that way.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm ex-Roman Catholic. We would do spaghetti and fish sticks a lot on Fridays during Lent. I still eat pasta and have during my entire time on MFP, I just make sure to weigh out my servings before boiling. I still eat pizza too, I just tend to make it myself more often than not. Off the top of my head other tasty options would be lemon rice soup and a hearty multigrain bread, breakfast stuffs (eggs and pancakes), quesadilla/grilled cheese, or an extravagant salad (spinach, apples, candied walnuts, & bleu cheese or whatever floats your boat).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with pizza and pasta?
  • Loaski1
    Loaski1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I am catholic and don't like fish either. I eat eggs, cottage cheese, and other veggie options found in the vegetarian section of the grocery store. They have burger and chicken type patties and even veggie crumbles that I like even better in some sauces and soups.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My Husband is a old school Catholic (he attends a Portuegse church), and follows the no meat on Fridays all year long. He and I both love fish which I make every Friday, however my kids don't like most of it, so I end up making separate foods for them (but I stick to the no meat except for my underweight toddler). My suggestion would to search online for some vegetarian recipes and try some that look good
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Yikes, no salad or fish?

I guess I'd do soups, beans and rice, eggs, you can do a pasta that isn't very high in calories.

If you do eggs for morning, soup for lunch, should be plenty of calories left for a good pasta meal.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

Correct. We can eat eggs, milk, even soup made from chicken stock as long as it doesn't have meat actually in it. Had to research this when I wanted gravy one time lol. Gravy is a'ok!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You've gotten great advice already, OP. I did an omelet this morning, but no reason that couldn't be an excellent lunch or dinner. Vegetarian chili or anything with beans is also a good one, and spaghetti squash is really easy and tasty.

There's no reason to think that pasta can't be a healthy choice, but it's harder to get the protein. I love fish (although for my own reasons I'm doing a vegetarian Friday, not just meatless in the Catholic sense), and especially enjoy a pasta with smoked salmon and veggies. You can try whole wheat pasta which usually tastes good with stronger flavors.

A veggie stir fry with rice and tofu and veggies can be quick and easy too. Rice and beans with greens is a good option. I'd check out some vegetarian threads or websites. One I recommend a lot that has lots of vegetarian options is 101cookbooks.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why would anyone recommend Fish if you aren't eating meat?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Why would anyone recommend Fish is you aren't eating meat?

Fish is okay. The story goes that back in the day, the Catholics made up the "no meat on Fridays during lent" because the fishing industry was suffering, and that was their way to boost it.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Why would anyone recommend Fish is you aren't eating meat?

Fish is okay. The story goes that back in the day, the Catholics made up the "no meat on Fridays during lent" because the fishing industry was suffering, and that was their way to boost it.

Odd.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    Why not eat what you did other years... just less of it?

Because she won't hit her protein goal that way.

is that the OP's concern?
    i didn't see that mentioned.