Front squats Tips?

Options
Was taking a break from back squats so did some 95kg front squats to test it out as haven't really tried them and all i can say is wow they are uncomfortable! lol used the arms crossed method and its digging into my shoulders and windpipe to the extent i was going red faced even though the weight wasn't really a struggle. Anyone have some tips or is it just a case of getting used to it?

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    That's just how they are. One thing you'll want to do is build some mass in your deltoids and traps. The stronger your shoulder girdle, the easier it is to hold that bar across your shoulders. As far as the windpipe problem, just get your air before you get the bar on your shoulders so you don't have to breathe much during your set.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    dwolfe1985 wrote: »
    Was taking a break from back squats so did some 95kg front squats to test it out as haven't really tried them and all i can say is wow they are uncomfortable! lol used the arms crossed method and its digging into my shoulders and windpipe to the extent i was going red faced even though the weight wasn't really a struggle. Anyone have some tips or is it just a case of getting used to it?

You get used to it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

I would suggest just using the bar until you get use to it, 95kg's is not exactly a "learning" weight. LOL
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I would suggest just using the bar until you get use to it, 95kg's is not exactly a "learning" weight. LOL

this... seriously.

back down.

and also this
    You get used to it.
    with the proper weight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    yeah, and just try to get the right rack, your wrists will get used to it.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    When I started doing front squats (I only ever did back squats) I looked up CROSSFIT demos on YouTube. They do these slow, step by step instructional videos that even show the line your body should make. Helped me immensely with front squats and overhead squats!! Elbows up!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Use your middle 3 fingers to stabilize the bar (don't actually hold it). Rest the bar more on your shoulders, less on your collarbone. I saw a great vid about this a while back... I'll see if I can find it.

@ItsCasey‌ - if you see this, do you still have that front squat vid from a while back with mobility tips?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Tagging for the tips.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    This probably won't address your specific issues, but these are just my overall thoughts.

1) Warm up your wrists and work on your wrist flexibility before lifting. I use a front rack position with the bar resting on three fingers. Open your hands. It actually rests across my traps and shoulders.
    2) Drop the amount of weight you are using by A LOT.
    3) If you don't have olympic lifting shoes, front squats can be helped out quite a bit by putting a small plate under your heel. I added 40# to my front squat immediately just by putting on oly shoes.
    4) If you're not accustomed to the lift, it might require a lot of core stability to get to proper depth that won't come as naturally as in the back squat that you train more frequently. Thus, maybe start with sets of lighter pause front squats. This can also help your body get used to the hip and ankle mobility required for full depth front squats. You're squatting between your legs more than squatting backwards.
    5) There might be a tendency to fall forward. You want to be as upright as possible in a front squat so practice some sitting up right in squat stance. Using a kettlebell and working up to sitting in this stance for a couple minutes per day can help.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

If you’re wanting to move to the elbows up method, I’d use a little more than just the bar. I found the bar itself isn’t heavy enough to push my arms into the right position and I end up holding the bar about an inch above my shoulders.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options

If you’re wanting to move to the elbows up method, I’d use a little more than just the bar. I found the bar itself isn’t heavy enough to push my arms into the right position and I end up holding the bar about an inch above my shoulders.

Ha, true; good point. BUT, there's a big difference between say 85lbs or 95lbs and ~210lbs (what he's using). :)
  • bryandynaxus3
    bryandynaxus3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Never done front squats but I've seen many videos of people doing them. Just wondering what the benefits are of the front squat, and why you can't just do back squats.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Never done front squats but I've seen many videos of people doing them. Just wondering what the benefits are of the front squat, and why you can't just do back squats.

The main difference is they work the quads a bit more and they engage the Core muscles a little more. In my mind it's an exercise used if you're an Olympic Lifter, but people like what they like and that's cool too.
  • bryandynaxus3
    bryandynaxus3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ohh ok cool beans thanks for the explanation. Looks a bit dangerous lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Ohh ok cool beans thanks for the explanation. Looks a bit dangerous lol
    Dunno bout that. Seems safer to me actually. I have the weight in front of me, I can lob it forward if I get stuck. Dropping the bar off my back for it to roll seems a little dicier to me, comparatively.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys and girls :) guess its more i have to get my fingers/wrists flexible so its not choking me as much lol

I high bar squat usually much more so 95kg is about enough to slightly challenge me as working up to it wasn't really too difficult.

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Check YouTube for videos using lifting straps. I've only done it with straps once or twice, but it makes sense.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Check YouTube for videos using lifting straps. I've only done it with straps once or twice, but it makes sense.

Thanks that's a great tip :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I really like front squats. They have clicked with me much more than back squats have. Here's a list of some more tips (some duplicate Kelly's great list above.)

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/when-in-doubt-do-front-squats-25-tips-for-better-front-squats
  • gbergman03
    gbergman03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go on YouTube and look up front rack position. Crossing the arms is the wing way to do a front squat. With that position, the bar is not stable. Easy, you want to have the bar rest of your shoulders with just finger tips on the bar