Front squats Tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is the method I use for Front Squats. My wrist can not go backwards like they are supposed to. This method really helped. For me the bar doesn't feel stable with crossed arms.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    phogbear wrote: »
    This is the method I use for Front Squats. My wrist can not go backwards like they are supposed to. This method really helped. For me the bar doesn't feel stable with crossed arms.

This is exactly the video I was thinking of!! <3

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If its a flexibility problem with your shoulders, wrists, fingers or what have you I found using lifting wrists straps looped around the bar allowed me to do them. I deal with a joint disease that causes swelling 24/7 so it is an option for me. Here is a video of me on my first attempt ever although it doesn't show the straps it will give you an idea hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyxpNxusgh4
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    to open up those wrists, don't forget to roll your triceps and stretch your wrists.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    to open up those wrists, don't forget to roll your triceps and stretch your wrists.

Do you just push your hand back with your other hand to stretch your wrist? I've been doing that but wondered if there was something more to it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Do you just push your hand back with your other hand to stretch your wrist? I've been doing that but wondered if there was something more to it.

rarely with mobility is it "just" do this.

Think of such things as a river- if you throw a stone into it- there will be impact up and down stream.

So is working your flexibility and mobility- and many times as you work to find balance with one issue- another up or down stream will reveal itself.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

No, I do two things, one hurts, the other hurts even more.

I doubt you want to try it. Here's a video of how to do one of them.

Go to 2:05
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Use your middle 3 fingers to stabilize the bar (don't actually hold it). Rest the bar more on your shoulders, less on your collarbone. I saw a great vid about this a while back... I'll see if I can find it.

Here's that vid I referenced earlier

http://youtu.be/2W9YxWAeH-Y
  • wilsonctenney
    wilsonctenney Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Slow decline through the heels, lift through the heels. If you lift through the toes you will bend forward and put strain on the wrists. Also, keep your head and neck pulled as far back as you can (if you do this right, it will feel like you have a double chin) and keep the eyes, head, and elbows up. Furthermore, shoulder/chest flexibility is usually an issue so focus on stretching those out before you get into position.