Confused. Mfp has dropped my calorie intake to 930 per day? Pls help

Options

Replies

• snakecake
    snakecake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I really hate this glitch. It's DANGEROUS. They need to focus on fixing it, it's easy for a well-informed person to second guess and know it's a glitch, but for every person like OP who instinctively thinks, "that's not right" there are probably 3 who are assuming that that must be right because the computer says so. Really not cool.

Totally true. Did this happen to you? Why do you suppose it happens?
  • snakecake
    Options
    Do .5lb/week. What you have is a glitch, and 2lbs/week is too aggressive for your goals.

Can I ask you why is it too aggressive for my goals?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    snakecake wrote: »
    I really hate this glitch. It's DANGEROUS. They need to focus on fixing it, it's easy for a well-informed person to second guess and know it's a glitch, but for every person like OP who instinctively thinks, "that's not right" there are probably 3 who are assuming that that must be right because the computer says so. Really not cool.

I didn't happen to me, but I adamantly believe that this is the WORST thing a glitch could produce. Some will have eating disorders affirmed, others will find weight loss so onerous that they give up and get even more unhealthfully obese. I think 100% of MFP energy needs to go to fixing the glitch. It's dangerous and setting them up for a lawsuit possibly.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I noticed the app,on my phone dropped me down to 960 this afternoon. I logged on from my computer, and switched my goal from 1/2 pound a week to 1 pound a week, then back to 1/2 pound. It reset and put me back up to 1550 calories.

Tried to change my goals again from the phone app-- and it dropped me back down to 960. I'm not sure if the glitch is only on the phone, but it definitely happened to me as well.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I didn't happen to me, but I adamantly believe that this is the WORST thing a glitch could produce. Some will have eating disorders affirmed, others will find weight loss so onerous that they give up and get even more unhealthfully obese. I think 100% of MFP energy needs to go to fixing the glitch. It's dangerous and setting them up for a lawsuit possibly.

Agreed. This is not safe, and we see enough people who manually override the settings as it is.
  • snakecake
    Options
    choconuts wrote: »
    I noticed the app,on my phone dropped me down to 960 this afternoon. I logged on from my computer, and switched my goal from 1/2 pound a week to 1 pound a week, then back to 1/2 pound. It reset and put me back up to 1550 calories.

Tried to change my goals again from the phone app-- and it dropped me back down to 960. I'm not sure if the glitch is only on the phone, but it definitely happened to me as well.

Does it to me on the iPad app
  • snakecake
    Options

Yes very scary. I hope it gets fixed right away
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Totally agree.
  • snakecake
    Options
    choconuts wrote: »

Does it to me on the iPad app

Also. Someone mentioned I should try to reset it too. Didn't even think of that so I did. And it then changed from 930 calories per day to 920!! Wtf.
  • snakecake
    Options

I tried to reset it as someone suggested. This was after a day of this glitch. So I went and reset it. It went from 930 calories a day to 920 per day. *kitten* up!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Give it a few days to fix the glitch and set it manually (custom) for now.

One thing is it sounds like you are at least lightly active, and you might be in as sedentary.

Another is of course the 2 lbs/week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Have we ruled out user input error?
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do .5lb/week. What you have is a glitch, and 2lbs/week is too aggressive for your goals.

Rapid weight loss at lower weights is hard in your body and can cause you long term damage (not a doctor, but I've read it can harm your kidneys) and you might lose the new muscle you have built to wasting as you would be starving your muscles.

I only had six lbs. to lose so I'm losing .2 kg/WK (200g, or half a pound). This is realistic and a healthier goal for a person of my size.

Best of luck.
  • katab2014
    katab2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It happened to me but I discovered I'd set too high a goal for weekly weight loss
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Have we ruled out user input error?

There are alot of posts the past week asking about it---all newbies, so imagine how many aren't asking. I agree that it isn't safe, even if the MFPer is doing something wrong--the site should not go below 1200. Just my opinion. B)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    A glitch that's too glitchy, sounds legit.
  • STUPID_GOPHER
    STUPID_GOPHER Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    if you only want to lose 30lbs....you should have your goal at 1.5 or 1lb a week and if you're working out 3 times a week, you should be eating at least 1400 and there are better calculators than mfp, you can always get your number and then change it on here manually...
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's crazy!! You should google a BMR calculator and get a better number and I agree with above posters and you should change your goal to 1 lb a week especially now that you are so close to your goal!
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options

The closer you get to your goal, the more your body wants to hold on to what it has. It knows it needs some weight there. Its quite easy to drop 2 pounds a week when you have 30, 40, 50 + pounds to lose. When you get down to 10 to 20 pounds, you have to really undereat or really exercise hard to do that it seems. Both of which can lead to issues - vitamin deficiencies if you aren't making sure you get all in that you need, injuries from overtraining, decreased performance exercising (because you're so stinking hungry), etc. Nevermind if you do that long enough, there are health consequences. .

See this as a healthy lifestyle, not a diet. There is no finish line, no end point, no race. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to goal, just that you do. Trying to get there too fast leads to the inevitable falling off the wagon and regaining.

• snakecake
    Options
    A glitch that's too glitchy, sounds legit.

Yes because even if there was some error on my part it should not in now way go bellow 1200 calories per day.