Confused. Mfp has dropped my calorie intake to 930 per day? Pls help

Options
hi everyone. I started MFP 5 weeks ago. I weighed 165 and want to weigh 135. I put I would like to loose 2lbs per week. So off I went. Eating 1200 calories per day. Working out 3 times a day. I was right on target and lost 10lbs in 5 weeks. So then MFP wants to update my calories so I can continue to meet my goals. I click yes and it updates it to 930 per day. Now I understand I get more calories when I work out but I only go to my fitness class three times a week. Now obviously I'm active other than that. You know errands cooking cleaning work etc. but I don't really include that. So some days when I have no exercise and I meet the 930 calories for the day MFP says I'm not eating enough. What gives ?

Replies

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it might be a glitch in the system? I've never seen it lower than 1200. Maybe contact customer support?
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it might be a glitch in the system? I've never seen it lower than 1200. Maybe contact customer support?

No there has been lots of these recently
  • snakecake
    snakecake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Right. I'm confused. I do also understand as you loose weight it takes less energy to do fitness so you are not burning as much as you once were at a heavier weight...
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Let's back up a moment here. At 155lbs with 20 to go you should NOT be attempting to lose 2lbs per week.

Change it to 1lb/week at least for a little longer, then go to 1/2lb per week when you get into your last 10. What you are trying to do is dangerous.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    It's because the closer you get to your goal, the more unreasonable it is to expect to lose 2 lbs per week. Your goal should no longer be 2 lbs per week... but more like 1 or even 0.8 lbs per week.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    I think you are all over looking the fact that it is CLEARLY either an error on MFP part OR the user has input some data wrong somewhere (dosen't seem likely)
  • myfatass78
    Options
    snakecake wrote: »
    hi everyone. I started MFP 5 weeks ago. I weighed 165 and want to weigh 135. I put I would like to loose 2lbs per week. So off I went. Eating 1200 calories per day. Working out 3 times a day. I was right on target and lost 10lbs in 5 weeks. So then MFP wants to update my calories so I can continue to meet my goals. I click yes and it updates it to 930 per day. Now I understand I get more calories when I work out but I only go to my fitness class three times a week. Now obviously I'm active other than that. You know errands cooking cleaning work etc. but I don't really include that. So some days when I have no exercise and I meet the 930 calories for the day MFP says I'm not eating enough. What gives ?

You can set your calorie goal manually. Personally I eat around 1600 calories a day with light exercise and still lose weight. Eat more than 1200.
  • snakecake
    Options
    Ok thanks. I'll try that. I'm new to this I realize 930 is way too low which is why I asked. Thanks for the imput
  • snakecake
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Let's back up a moment here. At 155lbs with 20 to go you should NOT be attempting to lose 2lbs per week.

Change it to 1lb/week at least for a little longer, then go to 1/2lb per week when you get into your last 10. What you are trying to do is dangerous.

So it's not ok to continue to drop 2lbs a week?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »

No there has been lots of these recently

One of the mods was saying there was a glitch in the systen which is supposed to be fixed now.

OP, MFP does not set your goal below 1200 (except with this glitch). Try inputting the information again, it should give you 1200. I also agree with those saying at your current weight and considering your goal, that 2 lbs per week is unrealistic.
  • snakecake
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »

You can set your calorie goal manually. Personally I eat around 1600 calories a day with light exercise and still lose weight. Eat more than 1200.

Thanks. Well I think I'll put it back to 1200
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There is a problem with the system. There have been alot of posts by new members asking the same thing. Before it wasn't possible to go under 1200 cals a day. I would ask tec support, although the above posters are right, 2 lbs a week is too much when you don't have alot to lose.
  • snakecake
    Options
    There is a problem with the system. There have been alot of posts by new members asking the same thing. Before it wasn't possible to go under 1200 cals a day. I would ask tec support, although the above posters are right, 2 lbs a week is too much when you don't have alot to lose.

Ok thanks. I thought 2lbs even for a person of my weight was ok. So is 1 pound per week more realistic for my current weight?
  • myfatass78
    Options

Ok thanks. I thought 2lbs even for a person of my weight was ok. So is 1 pound per week more realistic for my current weight?

That is what I would think. If you are aiming for 2lbs and can't achieve that then you will get discouraged.
  • glevinso
    Options

So it's not ok to continue to drop 2lbs a week?

Not for someone your size. That setting is for people with a significant amount of weight to drop.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert--the others above are. They seem to agree to do 1lb for awhile and then on your last 10lbs drop to .5 lbs. Good luck.
  • glevinso
    Options

Yes - at least for now. When you get into the last 10lbs you should consider slowing it down even further.

This is done, in part, so that you gently ease yourself back into eating at maintenance. If you cut weight fast, then start eating more suddenly you are likely to over-do it and go right back to where you started. It seems like it will take forever doing it this way, but the reality is that is the best formula for long-term success
  • snakecake
    Options

Yes - at least for now. When you get into the last 10lbs you should consider slowing it down even further.

This is done, in part, so that you gently ease yourself back into eating at maintenance. If you cut weight fast, then start eating more suddenly you are likely to over-do it and go right back to where you started. It seems like it will take forever doing it this way, but the reality is that is the best formula for long-term success

Ok thanks for the advice. Would it just be ok for me to set it back to 1200 calories per day you think? Because at that amount I was doing really well. Most importantly I felt like I had more energy and didn't feel too deprived.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Do .5lb/week. What you have is a glitch, and 2lbs/week is too aggressive for your goals.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I really hate this glitch. It's DANGEROUS. They need to focus on fixing it, it's easy for a well-informed person to second guess and know it's a glitch, but for every person like OP who instinctively thinks, "that's not right" there are probably 3 who are assuming that that must be right because the computer says so. Really not cool.