Eating more and losing weight?

Options
i just wanted to post an update that ive been eating way more and trying to fix my problem compared to what i was eating just two weeks ago and my weight is dropping during the day. Ive watched it go from 133(my highest weight fluctuation) all the way to 129 in about five days. Is this even possible or is my scale just broken? Lmao this just amazes me.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you increase calories it causes you to release some water weight. It's called a "whoosh"-- you already lost the fat but water retention was hiding the scale loss.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    The body is so strange. Thank you for the link!! :) Does anyone else have a theory about this?
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    No you haven't lost more fat eating more. Fat loss is a matter of calories in vs calories out so increasing calories means you'll lose less fat. Like the other person said, you probably just lost water weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sometimes when you increase calories it causes you to release some water weight. It's called a "whoosh"-- you already lost the fat but water retention was hiding the scale loss.

The whoosh fairy. :smile: I loved when she visited.

ETA: haven't read your link yet, just commenting on the whoosh.
  • luftherz
    luftherz Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm so glad I found your post @SammyBlz1 because I don't exactly understand how eating more is supposed to help me lose weight. I'm supposed to be eating somewhere around 2,200 calories per day and I cannot understand how people do this. Normally I average around 1800 or less per day of intake. Any ideas?

Have you found that you've lost more weight by eating more calories?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

It's awesome isn't it!! She's been neglecting me lately :angry:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    luftherz wrote: »
    I'm so glad I found your post @SammyBlz1 because I don't exactly understand how eating more is supposed to help me lose weight. I'm supposed to be eating somewhere around 2,200 calories per day and I cannot understand how people do this. Normally I average around 1800 or less per day of intake. Any ideas?

Not another one......
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

I need the whoosh fairy to visit, I have 10 bucks under my pillow for her!
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

I actually am acknowledging that I am starting recovery from an eating disorder. I do lose more weight recently by eating more calories. I'm trying to keep them relatively healthy but I allow myself a cookie or a cappuccino if I want it. I also have an unhealthy obsession with having a serving of teddy grahams and a tablespoon of peanut butter since i'm always below. I'm supposed to be getting 1900 calories a day and have been able to make it up to about 900-1000 so far. I just get full very fast. As I said, i'm recovering after months of not eating enough and this is my second run in with the disorder so I know how long recovery takes.

I've cut some of the gym but most the time I'm still there twice a day doing weights and cardio. This is to keep my activity level up and also my metabolism. Plus I just really love the feeling I get from going to the gym.

Honestly, I'd say go for upping your calories. It's helped me. It may help you. People here say that a calorie is a calorie and honestly its up to you what you want to eat. I still have a fear of most carbs except for my whole wheat sandwich thins or tortillas or oatmeal. I'm also working on that but haven't touched my whole wheat noodles as of yet. Thats a "me" thing though to figure out.

Right now I'm eating 120 calories worth of brocolli and its super filling but its better to me than eating a cookie so i'm going for it.
  • luftherz
    luftherz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

Not another one......

Yes. Another one. We're not all blessed with high metabolisms and good genes...
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    SammyBlz1 wrote: »

I actually am acknowledging that I am starting recovery from an eating disorder. I do lose more weight recently by eating more calories. I'm trying to keep them relatively healthy but I allow myself a cookie or a cappuccino if I want it. I also have an unhealthy obsession with having a serving of teddy grahams and a tablespoon of peanut butter since i'm always below. I'm supposed to be getting 1900 calories a day and have been able to make it up to about 900-1000 so far. I just get full very fast. As I said, i'm recovering after months of not eating enough and this is my second run in with the disorder so I know how long recovery takes.

I've cut some of the gym but most the time I'm still there twice a day doing weights and cardio. This is to keep my activity level up and also my metabolism. Plus I just really love the feeling I get from going to the gym.

Honestly, I'd say go for upping your calories. It's helped me. It may help you. People here say that a calorie is a calorie and honestly its up to you what you want to eat. I still have a fear of most carbs except for my whole wheat sandwich thins or tortillas or oatmeal. I'm also working on that but haven't touched my whole wheat noodles as of yet. Thats a "me" thing though to figure out.

Right now I'm eating 120 calories worth of brocolli and its super filling but its better to me than eating a cookie so i'm going for it.

oh and the carbs thing lol i'm weird about that. can eat teddy grahams and sweets but not noodles.
    again, its a mental thing for me. i'm working on it.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Glad you are recovering and feeling better. Good for you for figuring out a healthier balance of calories and exercise. Too few calories can be just as damaging as too many. Maybe more so. Glad you are no longer restricting more calories than you should, and now losing weight more reasonably. Awesome! I wish you all the best. Keep it up!
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    Glad you are recovering and feeling better. Good for you for figuring out a healthier balance of calories and exercise. Too few calories can be just as damaging as too many. Maybe more so. Glad you are no longer restricting more calories than you should, and now losing weight more reasonably. Awesome! I wish you all the best. Keep it up!

Thank you so much! That's really encouraging. It's still really hard for me to "feel good" about what i eat and it scares me a lot. It's hard to explain to a lot of people who wonder why I don't just eat more but I'm trying really really hard. It's very much a mental thing. A lot of people can easily eat 500 calories in a meal or more but it takes me a lot to eat that many and the rest is guilt from then on.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hang out on the forums, and ask as many questions as you want.
    Wishing you the best of luck for a healthy future :heart: You've acknowledged your problems which is a great step. You're well on your way :+1:
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    Hang out on the forums, and ask as many questions as you want.
    Wishing you the best of luck for a healthy future :heart: You've acknowledged your problems which is a great step. You're well on your way :+1:

thank you!!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I need the whoosh fairy to visit, I have 10 bucks under my pillow for her!

I've been thinking of bribing her too. :D
  • danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you are working out hard and not eating enough you won't lose weight as well. If you make sure you fuel your body your muscles work better and they help you to burn calories more efficiently. You are also more likely to burn off fat rather then deplete muscle.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    SammyBlz1 wrote: »

It's good for you to be eating more calories for reasons that have nothing to do with weight loss. I hope things continue to improve for you. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

What is usually meant by this is that a lot of times people can eat more than what the already are and still lose weight. You still have to eat at a deficit, you just maybe don't need such a large one. I don't know if this pertains to your calorie intake or not. If you are interested in learning more there is a group here called Eat More 2 Weigh Less.