Eating more and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hang out on the forums, and ask as many questions as you want.
    Wishing you the best of luck for a healthy future :heart: You've acknowledged your problems which is a great step. You're well on your way :+1:

Ditto
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    luftherz wrote: »
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I'm so glad I found your post @SammyBlz1 because I don't exactly understand how eating more is supposed to help me lose weight. I'm supposed to be eating somewhere around 2,200 calories per day and I cannot understand how people do this. Normally I average around 1800 or less per day of intake. Any ideas?

Have you found that you've lost more weight by eating more calories?

Not another one......

Yes. Another one. We're not all blessed with high metabolisms and good genes...

Not what I meant. An active young man eating 1800 or less is what I mean. No reason for it. I'm a 50+ woman and I lose at 1800. So either you are measuring food wrong or something else is goofed up if you can't lose at 2200.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If you are working out hard and not eating enough you won't lose weight as well. If you make sure you fuel your body your muscles work better and they help you to burn calories more efficiently. You are also more likely to burn off fat rather then deplete muscle.

If you are not eating enough you will lose weight, along with fat and muscle. It's science.

Most people underestimate calorie intake and/or calorie burns, and that's why they're not losing weight. However, I agree with properly fueling your body because then you do have the energy to move more, whether that means just in activity of daily living and/or exercise.
  • dontsweat
    dontsweat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This "calories in vs calories out" is getting so over played and over quoted by people who are absolutely clueless.

If you want to lose WEIGHT, by all means sacrifice calories to create a massive deficit while I laugh at you for losing all of your lean muscle and no fat.

If you want to lose FAT, you need to eat and feed your muscles so they can grow (with healthy foods of course). The more muscle you have, the bigger TDEE you have which allows you to eat more while not gaining fat.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    dontsweat wrote: »
    This "calories in vs calories out" is getting so over played and over quoted by people who are absolutely clueless.

No, you're wrong. Weight loss is strictly calories in/calories out. That's it. It seems you might be clueless.
    If you want to lose WEIGHT, by all means sacrifice calories to create a massive deficit while I laugh at you for losing all of your lean muscle and no fat.

No, weight loss means fat loss and probably some lean muscle mass. Who said anything about a massive deficit? A moderate one is all that's needed.
    If you want to lose FAT, you need to eat and feed your muscles so they can grow (with healthy foods of course). The more muscle you have, the bigger TDEE you have which allows you to eat more while not gaining fat.

Your muscles don't grow while at a deficit, unless they are newbie gains or you are obese.

What do you consider "healthy" foods?

You make it sound like if this person eats "healthy foods," which is always within one's perception, that he/she will grow all these big muscles, and once those big muscles are grown they will be able to eat much more and not gain a pound. Well, this is overdoing it just a bit.

Protein is important for retaining muscle you may already have while eating at a deficit, as well as growing muscle if you are eating at maintenance or more.

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Sometimes when you increase calories it causes you to release some water weight. It's called a "whoosh"-- you already lost the fat but water retention was hiding the scale loss.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

The whoosh fairy. :smile: I loved when she visited.

ETA: haven't read your link yet, just commenting on the whoosh.

I need the whoosh fairy to visit, I have 10 bucks under my pillow for her!

I've been thinking of bribing her too. :D

Does bribing work? I had the anti-whoosh fairy visit me this week. Either a combination of DOMS and TOM, or I need a new battery in my scale, or I sleep-ate an extra 35,000 calories Thursday night. The only food that seemed to be missing was from the cat bowl, and I don't think I'd stoop that low, physically or metaphorically.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Sometimes when you increase calories it causes you to release some water weight. It's called a "whoosh"-- you already lost the fat but water retention was hiding the scale loss.

Does bribing work? I had the anti-whoosh fairy visit me this week. Either a combination of DOMS and TOM, or I need a new battery in my scale, or I sleep-ate an extra 35,000 calories Thursday night. The only food that seemed to be missing was from the cat bowl, and I don't think I'd stoop that low, physically or metaphorically.

Surely, that is a typo. :)

• Timorous_Beastie
    Options

Nope. Not a typo. :) According to my scale, I gained ten pounds between Thursday and Friday. That's why the scale and I aren't good friends. I like going by measurements, photos and how clothes fit instead.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I'm so glad I found your post @SammyBlz1 because I don't exactly understand how eating more is supposed to help me lose weight. I'm supposed to be eating somewhere around 2,200 calories per day and I cannot understand how people do this. Normally I average around 1800 or less per day of intake. Any ideas?

Have you found that you've lost more weight by eating more calories?

Not another one......

Yes. Another one. We're not all blessed with high metabolisms and good genes...

high metabolism?? i wish dude. i'm 6'3" and 220 lbs... i started this 3 years ago at 250 and i'm only recently starting to dip under 220 lbs...

i'm set to eat 2100 calories a day, and i eat back as much of my exercise calories that i want.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Nope. Not a typo. :) According to my scale, I gained ten pounds between Thursday and Friday. That's why the scale and I aren't good friends. I like going by measurements, photos and how clothes fit instead.

I saw something similar. Scale was 10lbs heavier than normal. I think I was retaining water (didn't drink enough earlier that day) and I had also just drank a lot of water while working out. Luckily, the next morning, it had gone back down. Needless to say I was peeing all night... ugh.

I just upped my calories from 1200 to 1450 (literally "just" a few minutes ago). My scale was "sticking" and weight loss seemed to really slow down, even though my clothes were fitting better. I do cardio and lift weights so it makes no sense. And I'm OCD about measuring and weighing. My only vice is way too much sugarless gum which I don't always log. But at 1200 calories plus gum and not eating back workout calories, no way the scale should move so slowly.

I believe in the whole CICO thing but also know the body is very complex and sometimes unexplained things happen. Hoping the change in calories will give me the jolt I need. If that happens, I won't know if it was a whoosh or water weight or whatever. And won't care either!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Did you wake up with receipts for McDonald's, Wendy's, Pizza Hut and Dunkin Donuts that you ate in your sleep?

She's female, so there are other reasons why she may have had a visit from the anti-whoosh fairy. Although I'm one to talk. I started this week 4 pounds up overnight after some over-zealous Valentines celebrations, and am now six pounds down over 7 days (177->171) - If you want the whoosh fairy to show up, invite the anti-whoosh fairy over first with some high-sodium restaurant meals....

Eating more can cause the woosh fairy to show up. This happened in the Minnesota starvation study. The men's weight loss was masked by water gain (partly because some of them over-salted their meals, partly because low-calorie diets appear to encourage water retention). They were given a 2300 calorie relief dinner, spent a lot of time in the bathroom, and lost several pounds overnight. Increasing calories can cause weight loss, just not fat loss. Source - http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/183835/the_hunger_experiment/
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

Did you wake up with receipts for McDonald's, Wendy's, Pizza Hut and Dunkin Donuts that you ate in your sleep?

She's female, so there are other reasons why she may have had a visit from the anti-whoosh fairy. Although I'm one to talk. I started this week 4 pounds up overnight after some over-zealous Valentines celebrations, and am now six pounds down over 7 days (177->171) - If you want the whoosh fairy to show up, invite the anti-whoosh fairy over first with some high-sodium restaurant meals....
    /

Yeah, I'm not worried about the anti-whoosh fairy. My measurements went down, my progress photos are showing less mushiness, my clothes are fitting better. Whether it was DOMS, TOM, the scale's on the blink, or some kind of gravitational screw-up caused by a rift in space and time... it doesn't matter. I mostly weigh myself so I can give the scale the bird.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

Eating more can cause the woosh fairy to show up. This happened in the Minnesota starvation study. The men's weight loss was masked by water gain (partly because some of them over-salted their meals, partly because low-calorie diets appear to encourage water retention). They were given a 2300 calorie relief dinner, spent a lot of time in the bathroom, and lost several pounds overnight. Increasing calories can cause weight loss, just not fat loss. Source - http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/183835/the_hunger_experiment/

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you missed the sarcasm. There has to be a study you can link on it somewhere that you can post without reading.

People communicating on the internet often over-estimate how effectively they have expressed sarcasm, and how humorous their jokes are due to egocentrism. In this study, the ability of recipients to know if a statement was sarcastic was only slightly better than the results of chance guessing (study 2, 56% accuracy on emails compared to 73% accuracy over the phone - so much of what we communicate is non-verbal).
    http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/nicholas.epley/krugeretal05.pdf (and yes, I did read it :wink: )

Sarcasm can be very easy to miss in internet posts. That's why most people choose to be polite and sensitive when they post, to avoid offending the intended recipient of the message, and anyone else who happens to read the post.
  • SLLRunner
    edited February 2015
    Options

Okay, no offense, but how could you even stomach 35,000 extra calories in a day? This sounds like an exaggeration to me, as in you could be overestimating your calorie intake by about 30,000 calories.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I remember you, OP - I'm so glad you're eating more! You had me concerned for your health. I'm proud of you for recognizing that you needed to make changes, and then making them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Okay, no offense, but how could you even stomach 35,000 extra calories in a day? This sounds like an exaggeration to me, as in you could be overestimating your calorie intake.

I have doubts about whether a body could actually absorb that many also. I have no science whatsoever to back that up it just seems improbable.