THE BIG STARVATION MODE MYTH.

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Starvation is a myth and everyone is different. The human body needs approximately 10 to 11 calories per pound of weight to maintain that weight. Example: A 150 pound female needs 1650 calories a day to MAINTAIN her weight (150 lbs. X 11 calories). To lose 1 pound, the female would need a 3,500 calorie deficit. So . . .

150 lbs, times 11 calories (1650) times 7 days = 11,550 calories a week to maintain.

11,550 calories minus 3,500 (calories in one pound) = 8,050 calories a week to lose one pound.

8,050 calories divided by 7 days a week = 1,150 calories a day to lose one pound a week.

This formula works for anyone, just substitute your weight and recalculate.
    Well.. I was maintaing on 4000-4500 calories a day, and I sure as heck wasn't 400-450lbs...
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is real, but not to fat people.

I think this is somewhat correct, though people will argue about whether or not that is the right term. People are all the time applying the MN study and acting like what happened to the guys with 5% BF after months at 50% or less of TDEE is happening to people who are clinically obese people who try eating 1200 calories for a few days. It isn't.

Not just the Mn study. Almost everyone that has cut in the ab zone has experienced it to some degree. Read about bodybuilders pre-contest and the effects of dieting while that lean. Heck watch the show Survivor, they are the two groups that experience "stavation mode" strongly while not being in poverty.

But just about everyone that has a 6 pack at least got to the point where food ceased to be filling on the way to that 6 pack unless they followed refeed advice to the letter and were overly conservative with refeed frequency.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Let's try to clear something up. Starvation mode is when your body attempts to keep and/or store fat because it is not receiving the amount of calories or nutrients it needs. That does not mean you will not lose weight because weight doesn't just come from fat, but from muscle and water retention. If you are working out long term at high intensities, 1200 calories will not be enough to maintain the muscle and as a result, you will lose muscle and weight. This will not take place right away, but over time. You do not necessarily gain weight in starvation mode, but may gain body fat. 1200 and 1500 is the lowest recommended intake for women and men respectively, but remember, if you're looking to get fit, get strong and be healthy in the long run, it will not suffice.

When it says to 'eat more' it doesn't mean just eat more calories, but eat more healthy food. Eat more protein, more fruits & vegetables especially. I've been up and down several times and it took me until now to finally 'get' the deal with food and nutrition. I eat close to 2000 calories at a 40/40/20 ration of Carbs/Protein/Fat. I'm doing P90X - Classic. This is the first time I've taken what I eat straight out of the nutrition guide and in 30 days, I was down 16 lbs. The weight loss is great and I've NEVER lost that amount, that quickly, but that's not what you should aim for long term, but rather look at body fat percentage! That's the true indicator of your health and fitness level. In those same 30 days, I was down about 4.5% body fat and now, after 6 weeks, I'm down 6% - 4 inches off my waist!

To lose weight you must create a calorie deficit, yes, but you must also get enough calories to keep your body functioning at a high level in order to perform it's tasks. You must find that balance of calories and nutrient ratios that fit your activity level. This is also key to losing FAT while maintaining the muscle you have. If you do not, you WILL lose lean muscle. Remember that muscle burns fat! Initially, 1200-1500 may work well, but after some time has past, you will need more calories of HEALTHY foods to maintain high performance. Food is FUEL for your body and that's the way you have to see it in order to understand why it's so important to eat right. Performance athletes eat ridiculous amounts of calories daily during training: Michael Phelps 10,000 to 12,000 a day! There's a extreme example, but a point well made. Consider actors who prepare for roles where they must look the part: Henry Cavill (new Superman movie [Man of Steel]) 3500 to 5000 calories a day depending on what the goal was. My point is, if you FUEL your body with the best foods, you will not only perform better, but look and feel better because you are getting enough of all the vitamins and nutrients you need. You will not get that at 1200 calories a day and that's a fact. I'm not saying you need to eat like the examples I gave you, but understand that it's about QUALITY, then quantity and for most people, it's over 1500 calories and something closer to 1800 to 2000 long term.

"Starvation Mode" is not a 'myth,' but rather it's a misunderstood and often misinterpreted term. I hope this helps.

I definitely agree with all of this. "Starvation mode" is a loose term I suppose, and seems to be taken too literally as far as what it truly means.
  • waldo56
    Options
    remember that leptin is still very misunderstood, they are trying to understand the full function of it. take it with a grain of salt but there is more evidence about refeeds being very effective.

Preaching to the choir on that. Well done refeeds are extremely effective at keeping the leptin-ghrelin system at bay. They are really, really needed so that cutting while lean for more than a couple weeks isn't absolute torture and a battle of willpower. But even a solid refeeding plan can be overwhelmed, necessitating diet breaks.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    remember that leptin is still very misunderstood, they are trying to understand the full function of it. take it with a grain of salt but there is more evidence about refeeds being very effective.

Preaching to the choir on that. Well done refeeds are extremely effective at keeping the leptin-ghrelin system at bay. They are really, really needed so that cutting while lean for more than a couple weeks isn't absolute torture and a battle of willpower. But even a solid refeeding plan can be overwhelmed, necessitating diet breaks.

its weird about how that works.
    it doesn't make any ****ing sense. I cant wait until they can explain it in scientific terms, well with hard evidence
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    This sends the body into a starving like mode because the cortisol level becomes elevated telling the body to hold onto the fat it all ready has stored (even if an overabundance already exisits), and to send the food you do eat directly to fat stores in this perceived time of stress (which the body sees as a famine like state)

This is so far removed from factual science it isn't even funny. Oh wait; yes it is... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am sorry I should have said if Cortisol level becomes elevated for an exteneded period of time (as does happen in modern life stressers)
    http://www.adrenal-failure.com/what-is-cortisol.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol
    http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenalhealth/effectsofhighcortisollevels.aspx
    http://pituitary.mgh.harvard.edu/cushings.htm

and many many more very valid studies! Keep in mind as with anything there is always other explanations, and counter arguments to be had. I know everyone is different. This is how I see it, and it works for me. I am only here to provide, an idea for anyone one to modify to fit what they need out of life to maintain health. My opinions, and interpretation of studies read, can and will be different from others who have read similar studies. I compare it to the constitution.... take away from it the intended knowledge, and use it for your benefit. For me this is valid I have a high stress life. Keep in mind I have read much more on complete body functions. i am just presenting you with knowledge on cortisol. Keep in mind the beginning thread is on the Starvation Myth, and I am giving an idea of where people are crossing Starving, and "starvation mode" which I have said I think is not a very good way of putting what happens in the body if you eat a low calorie, and/or nutrient deficient diet for an extended period of time.

so is cortisol the kitchen where everything is stored?

Cortisol is one reason you store things in the closet (fat)

oh, so it is kind of like a meat freezer?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

At first you will get constant hunger. Getting strong and stronger to the point where food ceases to be filling, even at the end of a huge meal, you're still hungry. Then snacking then loses its appeal, your interest shifts to really filling things only. You start dreaming and daydreaming about eating really filling things, fantasizing about thanksgiving and whatnot.

I know this feel all to well.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    This sends the body into a starving like mode because the cortisol level becomes elevated telling the body to hold onto the fat it all ready has stored (even if an overabundance already exisits), and to send the food you do eat directly to fat stores in this perceived time of stress (which the body sees as a famine like state)

This is so far removed from factual science it isn't even funny. Oh wait; yes it is... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am sorry I should have said if Cortisol level becomes elevated for an exteneded period of time (as does happen in modern life stressers)
    http://www.adrenal-failure.com/what-is-cortisol.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol
    http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenalhealth/effectsofhighcortisollevels.aspx
    http://pituitary.mgh.harvard.edu/cushings.htm

and many many more very valid studies! Keep in mind as with anything there is always other explanations, and counter arguments to be had. I know everyone is different. This is how I see it, and it works for me. I am only here to provide, an idea for anyone one to modify to fit what they need out of life to maintain health. My opinions, and interpretation of studies read, can and will be different from others who have read similar studies. I compare it to the constitution.... take away from it the intended knowledge, and use it for your benefit. For me this is valid I have a high stress life. Keep in mind I have read much more on complete body functions. i am just presenting you with knowledge on cortisol. Keep in mind the beginning thread is on the Starvation Myth, and I am giving an idea of where people are crossing Starving, and "starvation mode" which I have said I think is not a very good way of putting what happens in the body if you eat a low calorie, and/or nutrient deficient diet for an extended period of time.

so is cortisol the kitchen where everything is stored?

Cortisol is one reason you store things in the closet (fat)

oh, so it is kind of like a meat freezer?
    lol
  • waldo56
    Options
    **double post**
  • waldo56
    Options

it doesn't make any ****ing sense. I cant wait until they can explain it in scientific terms, well with hard evidence

Leptin is secreted by fat, its likely that fat needs to be burning for high concentrations to be released, and it seems that the secretion of it gets stronger and stronger over time and as you get leaner and leaner. Refeeds are a shock quanitiy of carbs that completely knocks your body out of fat burning and into heavy fat storage (hence eating any fat whatsover during a refeed is very bad). Enough to "reset" the quantity of leptin released, so that to the body you just started dieting, you haven't been at it for a long time.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Here is another thing to keep in mind Fat just sits there. You do not burn any energy to have an over abundance of fat. Fat is a storage shelf for the body. Think of it as the closet you jam things in you might need down the road (energy), or things you don't know how to get rid of (toxins). It just sits there closed, and you never look into it until you need something. Lean muscle is used constantly (so it needs energy constantly to maintain). It is like the kitchen in a house full of people, there is always someone cooking in it. The more lean muscle you have the more fuel it needs (the more you have to cook). If you are overweight, and you stop taking in more junk than you really need (to shove in the closet), and start building more lean muscle(cooking in your own kitchen kitchen) your eventually going to need that pan your mom bought you in that storage closet. Guess what that pan, is at the bottom of the closet so you have to clean it out to get to it, and then you find the hiking boots(exercise) you have been looking for to build even more lean muscle(means more energy is needed). So now you have to cook more food in the kitchen, but you don't have anymore pans in the closet, because you have cleaned out the junk. Now you have no choice but to go buy another set, and keep cooking more food, more often to keep up. Nothing is stored, and nothing is wasted. This is how our bodies should be. Hormones are the lubricant to keep the body functions moving, and keep us from becoming content with the closet full of junk we might need down the road, if life changes. It works for me to see it this way, but maybe not for you. I hope this info helps someone else that the only reason I am writing novels here...lol If someone has a better way to put it, or something else to add to the collective wealth of knowledge please enlighten!

So this was a total ramble to try to say how I picture the studies I have read, and how I perceive the body using fat, and energy, and how lean muscle is built. It was really bad...... I am not a writer by any means. Please excuse the poorly written analogy and just understand the bodies exposure to hormone shifts caused by poor diet choices. (i.e. super low calorie diets for extended periods of time, and/ or nutrient lacking foods)
  • DatMurse
    Options

Leptin is secreted by fat, its likely that fat needs to be burning for high concentrations to be released, and it seems that the secretion of it gets stronger and stronger over time. Refeeds are a shock quanitiy of carbs that completely knocks your body out of fat burning and into heavy fat storage (hence eating any fat whatsover during a refeed is very bad). Enough to "reset" the quantity of leptin released, so that to the body you just started dieting, you haven't been at it for a long time.
    I had my dry reefed yesterday to try to remove the squishy fat and for carb replenishment some of it came off so we will see the acceleration of my loss now.

I know they were talking about people going low fat In general if the person can handle the mental pain and using fish oil to meet EFA
  • Raeesa777
    Raeesa777 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    People say don't eat 1200 or even 1500 calories a day. They say eat more, to weigh less, but people you see on youtube eat 1200 and are losing over 80+ pounds. Can you explain that maybe it is better to eat more in the 1800s, but don't tell people that starvation will come up and get them because it's a flat out lie. Especially if your obese. Some guys did a study and that's the huge thing, that's why people think they're in starvation mode. How can you tell someone to eat more when that's what they have been doing all along, hence why they're overweight to begin with. Look at people in different countries starving, they are not going into starvation mode. No I don't think so. You need to look around you. People want you to fail in weight loss, they will make up anything to make sure you don't succeed. Why IDK. But its true weight loss and takes a long freaking time. You need to think of it in long terms, I mean like 3-5 years, it will need to be a lifestyle change. People think they are going into starvation mode because omg i hit a plateau. It happens with everyone. You're never going to get away from that. Sorry guys. JUST BECAUSE YOU HIT A PLATEAU DOES NOT MEAN YOUR IN STARVATION MODE. 1200 isn't starving yourself. What happens when you don't get enough food your body? It has to go into your fat stores, it's science people. End of story. Comments please thanks:) Oh fyi iv lost 40 pounds.

True story... i dont think 1200 calories is starving urself... maybe 800 or 600 calories yeah
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    'starvation mode' preventing you from losing fat = myth

'starvation mode' subtracting large amounts of muscle mass most people would perfer to have = truth

not to mention necessary vitamins and nutrients for proper nerve system function.

There's more to life than just FAT, people.
  • Trekmum
    Trekmum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A starvation diet does not mean the absence of food. It means cutting the total caloric intake to less than 50% of what the body requires. And, many fear that going into starvation mode will drastically reduce their metabolic rate and cause them to hoard calories and gain weight instead of losing.

This is not borne out by the infamous Minnesota Semi-starvation Study (1950), 36 young, healthy, psychologically normal men while restricting their caloric intake for 6 months. Their calories were restricted in various phases, but the least amount of calories they were allowed was 50% of the "normal" maintenance calories. Notice, this was dubbed a "semi" starvation diet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Yes, their metabolic rates were significantly lowered -- to something like 40% below baseline. Yet at no point did the men stop losing fat until they hit 5% body fat at the end of the study.

Another starvation study was done in England, at Cambridge University, to determine the different effects starvation had on lean people versus obese people. The entire study is found at:

http://www.unu.edu/unupress/food2/UID07E/uid0 7e11.htm

Lean individuals lost great amounts of fat-free, lean tissue during starvation, but obese individuals lost much more fat tissue. Obese individuals have a mechanism that conserves lean mass and burns fat instead.
  • EvyMetal
    EvyMetal Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories a day since I started in January. I do use the extra calories I earn for exercise, at least most of them.
  • waldo56
    Options

Leptin is secreted by fat, its likely that fat needs to be burning for high concentrations to be released, and it seems that the secretion of it gets stronger and stronger over time. Refeeds are a shock quanitiy of carbs that completely knocks your body out of fat burning and into heavy fat storage (hence eating any fat whatsover during a refeed is very bad). Enough to "reset" the quantity of leptin released, so that to the body you just started dieting, you haven't been at it for a long time.
    I had my dry reefed yesterday to try to remove the squishy fat and for carb replenishment some of it came off so we will see the acceleration of my loss now.

I know they were talking about people going low fat In general if the person can handle the mental pain and using fish oil to meet EFA

Does dry carb loading help to get rid of squishy fat?

To me it always seems that squishy fat is highly influenced by water levels, when dehydrated squishy fat is even squishier. Isn't the point of a dry carb load to dehydrate you?

I just finished a diet break and am setting out on a fairly aggressive 6 week cut, with weekly refeeds (Fridays, woo hoo tomorrow). Prior to my diet break I was getting the effects of the anti-starvation system strongly, a break was really needed. But before my break I didn't do a good job with refeeds, had to learn the lesson the hard way.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating 1800, 1600, 1400, I only lose at 1200-1300. Everyone is different.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    A starvation diet does not mean the absence of food. It means cutting the total caloric intake to less than 50% of what the body requires. And, many fear that going into starvation mode will drastically reduce their metabolic rate and cause them to hoard calories and gain weight instead of losing.

This is not borne out by the infamous Minnesota Semi-starvation Study (1950), 36 young, healthy, psychologically normal men while restricting their caloric intake for 6 months. Their calories were restricted in various phases, but the least amount of calories they were allowed was 50% of the "normal" maintenance calories. Notice, this was dubbed a "semi" starvation diet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Yes, their metabolic rates were significantly lowered -- to something like 40% below baseline. Yet at no point did the men stop losing fat until they hit 5% body fat at the end of the study.

Another starvation study was done in England, at Cambridge University, to determine the different effects starvation had on lean people versus obese people. The entire study is found at:

http://www.unu.edu/unupress/food2/UID07E/uid0 7e11.htm

Lean individuals lost great amounts of fat-free, lean tissue during starvation, but obese individuals lost much more fat tissue. Obese individuals have a mechanism that conserves lean mass and burns fat instead.

You mean at one point one guy had a drop of 40%, not that 40% ever became the average for the group.
  • tamaracarroll9847
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I agree that there needs to be some "starvation" if that's what one wants to call it, for successful weight loss. I have no scientific knowledge on it, but I believe fasting should be apart of normal eating habits. Most religions have some sort of fasting practice. I think your body needs that to get off the "plateau" to move on to a new weight set point for your body. Like I said, I have no scientific evidence of it, but I know in my own situation this has been the case. I have been struggling with no thyroid for 20 plus years now. My medication and weight have been stable for most of those years, but now with age and three children I am finding it difficult to get the last 20 pounds off. Been at a plateau for nearly 6 weeks now. This week I have reduced calories to less than 1400/day. Right now I am also struggling with thyroid medication issues however. Anyway, just sharing my thoughts on the starvation topic. I totally agree with you, that is not to say that I think anyone should ever deprive themselves of food for extended periods of time. That is totally counter-productive.