THE BIG STARVATION MODE MYTH.

Options
People say don't eat 1200 or even 1500 calories a day. They say eat more, to weigh less, but people you see on youtube eat 1200 and are losing over 80+ pounds. Can you explain that maybe it is better to eat more in the 1800s, but don't tell people that starvation will come up and get them because it's a flat out lie. Especially if your obese. Some guys did a study and that's the huge thing, that's why people think they're in starvation mode. How can you tell someone to eat more when that's what they have been doing all along, hence why they're overweight to begin with. Look at people in different countries starving, they are not going into starvation mode. No I don't think so. You need to look around you. People want you to fail in weight loss, they will make up anything to make sure you don't succeed. Why IDK. But its true weight loss and takes a long freaking time. You need to think of it in long terms, I mean like 3-5 years, it will need to be a lifestyle change. People think they are going into starvation mode because omg i hit a plateau. It happens with everyone. You're never going to get away from that. Sorry guys. JUST BECAUSE YOU HIT A PLATEAU DOES NOT MEAN YOUR IN STARVATION MODE. 1200 isn't starving yourself. What happens when you don't get enough food your body? It has to go into your fat stores, it's science people. End of story. Comments please thanks:) Oh fyi iv lost 40 pounds.

Replies

• pHatWeenie
    pHatWeenie Posts: 23
    Options
    That still puzzles me! I've never heard of this till this year. I wonder at what point does you body start using my fat stores if I'm eating all these cals! Maybe I'm missing something idk!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/delgadido/Bodybuilding/ultimateprogress-2.jpg
    about a 1500 +-200 intake with a 3k+ TDEE
    50% Deficit
    lost 1 lb every 2 days
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think some people are just jealous that we have the willpower not to stuff our faces all the time.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Whut
  • DatMurse
    Options
    people cannot count their calories and do not know how dieting works.

If I believe I am in deficit I have to stay on the deficit regardless if the scale moves or not. It eventually will and sometimes it drops by 3-4 lbs all of a sudden. I take the minimum weight I can achieve
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    'starvation mode' preventing you from losing fat = myth

'starvation mode' subtracting large amounts of muscle mass most people would perfer to have = truth
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Most often I see this come up, not when people are eating 1500 calories or whatever...I usually see it come up when people are netting like 500 calories per day. I personally don't believe in "starvation mode", but I do believe that you are starving your body of nutrients if you are netting 500 calories per day or whatever. Do what you want...it's not healthy though. Enjoy your ED.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I'm no Dr.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I would like to add a high deficit such as mine is not a normal person should attempt. they will usually fail, but I have done bulking and cutting in the past and was recovering from depression r/t my degenerative disc disease
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    There is actually something legitimate called starvation mode. That's when you completely fast for 3 days or longer, or you are in a severe calorie deficit for some time (not sure where the cutoff would be). The body's metabolism slows some, because it has to try to survive.

With that said, people have taken this real thing and liberally applied the term to things like weight loss plateaus and breakfast skipping when it likely has nothing to do with it. Even people who are legitimately starving will continue to lose weight, because they are still in a deficit.

It's still good to have a modest deficit so you can achieve at most 1-2 lbs of loss per week on average.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    What I understand is 1200 is the minimum an average woman needs to stay alive!!!! I dont mean partake in any kind of activity I mean stay alive,its a miserable amount to exist on,for me anyway and Im 5 ft 2 I stay at 1600 cals a day,otherwise I would be hungry and miserable!My diet is good and I eat 6 times a day!I work with my TDEE and sick with that!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I think some people are just jealous that we have the willpower not to stuff our faces all the time.

I'm sure that's it. :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Well. You told them.
  • shannonespinoza
    Options
    It does indeed affect how your body loses weight. Check out a legit medical journal, such as CINAHL and research how it works. Here is an excerpt from a peer reviewed science journal:

"Most of leptin's effects occur through the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that integrates all basic drives and regulates food intake, energy expenditure, and glucose and fat metabolism. With weight loss, the body's fat stores shrink and therefore produce less leptin. The hypothalamus responds by shifting several body systems into starvation mode. It results in urges to eat more and expend less energy, making it difficult to maintain the weight loss. Other changes, such as increased stress response and weakened reproductive and immune function, cause their own set of problems."

You will continue to lose weight on an extremely low diet but it may be drawing from energy reserves that you would rather not lose. I think the thing is, this level would be different for everyone. It may be 1200 calories for you and 900 for someone else.
  • HOTSTUFFyes
    Options
    To keep your metab up on a low calorie intake is to get at least 8 hours of sleep and eat 6 times a day and i will stand by that but their is no reason why you cant do that. I don't people got obese from eating less no that's not the way it is never was never will be. And the starvation mode is when your metab slows down so go for a walk that should speed it up too. but Regardless you will lose all the weight you need because your in a Calorie Defiant. OMG i just ate lettuce today and that's it that's my new diet I lost weight hey you lose weight HOW from eating less. people you see who actually get success long term their eating less not more. less.
  • HOTSTUFFyes
    Options
    Doubt
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Well the goal here is to teach people to eat and lose weight in a healthy way. If you just want to eat nothing and lose lean muscle mass, we won't stop you, though.
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It does indeed affect how your body loses weight. Check out a legit medical journal, such as CINAHL and research how it works. Here is an excerpt from a peer reviewed science journal:

"Most of leptin's effects occur through the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that integrates all basic drives and regulates food intake, energy expenditure, and glucose and fat metabolism. With weight loss, the body's fat stores shrink and therefore produce less leptin. The hypothalamus responds by shifting several body systems into starvation mode. It results in urges to eat more and expend less energy, making it difficult to maintain the weight loss. Other changes, such as increased stress response and weakened reproductive and immune function, cause their own set of problems."

You will continue to lose weight on an extremely low diet but it may be drawing from energy reserves that you would rather not lose. I think the thing is, this level would be different for everyone. It may be 1200 calories for you and 900 for someone else.

For the record, CINAHL isn't a journal, it's a database, and it's not medical in the strictest sense either - it's the Cumulative Index of Nursing and Allied Health Literature.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    In for all the awesome bro-science that is soon to come.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Well the goal here is to teach people to eat and lose weight in a healthy way. If you just want to eat nothing and lose lean muscle mass, we won't stop you, though.

Truth