THE BIG STARVATION MODE MYTH.

Options

Replies

• shannonespinoza
    Options
    Yes, thank you for the correction it is indeed a database. Lol...but it's a lot more academic than ...what did someone call it? bro-science?? Haha. It actually came from a journal called Positive Health.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    21932311.jpg
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    I hear you bro, I'm so sick of people talking about starvation mode. It's all a load of B.S in my opinion, or the whole "Your body will start burning muscle instead of fat" LIESSSSS, your fat is there for when your body needs it, that's the whole point of fat people. Your body will only start breaking down your muscle tissue once it's fat reserves are gone.
  • technigasm
    Options
    I have a disorder called cyclic vomiting syndrome where basically I can't eat anything... My Dr. [who is a top Dr. and is very well respected] said that I wouldn't die and I wasn't starving myself. He had me drink nutritional shakes and basically after almost a year of that and when I got pregnant he forced me to re learn how to eat food again because your body forgets how to digest food and your stomach and intestines can become paralyzed. There are medications for your intestines and for your stomach to help them move and process food. Basically I had an 80 lb weight loss in only 6 months. It wasn't a good thing because I didn't try to lose the weight and was very sick and malnurished before realizing it wasn't an eating disorder, but an actual issue. But now I can eat regular food and I am only trying to lose weight because of two back to back pregnancies. But people do extreme diet it just should be monitored by a doctor and you can't jump back into eating whatever. you will gain the weight back.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    To keep your metab up on a low calorie intake is to get at least 8 hours of sleep and eat 6 times a day and i will stand by that but their is no reason why you cant do that. I don't people got obese from eating less no that's not the way it is never was never will be. And the starvation mode is when your metab slows down so go for a walk that should speed it up too. but Regardless you will lose all the weight you need because your in a Calorie Defiant. OMG i just ate lettuce today and that's it that's my new diet I lost weight hey you lose weight HOW from eating less. people you see who actually get success long term their eating less not more. less.

Translator? Anyone?

Serious.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I read about half way then had to stop due to the complete lack of proper spelling and punctuation. I will not read one giant run-on sentence. At some point we are required to breathe.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat 1,200 calories a day...have fun. I'm eating more like 1,800 and still losing weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think some people are just jealous that we have the willpower not to stuff our faces all the time.

that's probably it. but still, it's weird that it's always the people furthest away from goal that say stuff like this. i rarely see someone say this that has lost a ton of weight and is at or near their GW.

hmmmmmm.....coinkydink?
  • technigasm
    Options
    I have a disorder called cyclic vomiting syndrome where basically I can't eat anything... My Dr. [who is a top Dr. and is very well respected] said that I wouldn't die and I wasn't starving myself. He had me drink nutritional shakes and basically after almost a year of that and when I got pregnant he forced me to re learn how to eat food again because your body forgets how to digest food and your stomach and intestines can become paralyzed. There are medications for your intestines and for your stomach to help them move and process food. Basically I had an 80 lb weight loss in only 6 months. It wasn't a good thing because I didn't try to lose the weight and was very sick and malnurished before realizing it wasn't an eating disorder, but an actual issue. But now I can eat regular food and I am only trying to lose weight because of two back to back pregnancies. But people do extreme diet it just should be monitored by a doctor and you can't jump back into eating whatever. you will gain the weight back.
    I also wanted to note my weights
    sept 2010: 190lbs.
    july 2011: 115
  • HOTSTUFFyes
    Options
    Im not saying that to eat 1200 im saying their is no such thing as the damn starvation mode.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Nah....
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    To keep your metab up on a low calorie intake is to get at least 8 hours of sleep and eat 6 times a day and i will stand by that but their is no reason why you cant do that. I don't people got obese from eating less no that's not the way it is never was never will be. And the starvation mode is when your metab slows down so go for a walk that should speed it up too. but Regardless you will lose all the weight you need because your in a Calorie Defiant. OMG i just ate lettuce today and that's it that's my new diet I lost weight hey you lose weight HOW from eating less. people you see who actually get success long term their eating less not more. less.

Translator? Anyone?
    My dear fellow MFPers,

To keep your metabolism up while you are on a low caloric intake, the best way would be to get at least 8 hours of sleep, and consume at least 6 meals a day, and I will stand by that. However, there is no reason why you can't do so in another way. People in the world did not become obese from eating less calories than what perhaps you feel they should, as that is not the proper way, either now, or ever. The starvation mode is what people call it when your metabolism slows down, so what you should do instead is to partake in a walk, or other brisk exercise that will speed your metabolism back to it's proper speed. Regardless, you shall still lose weight because you are continuing to eat at a calorie deficit. My lord in heaven, I just ate a piece of greenery, in this instance a single leaf of lettuc, and that's my new diet, and I have happened to shed a few pounds. Forsooth, you lose weight from eating less, hence when you see people who have success in a long term standing, it is because of this.

*note - These are not my views, and are the views of the poster.
  • emsmig01
    emsmig01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    CINAHL isn't a medical journal. It is a index of the nursing and allied health literature that directs you to articles published in journal. Calling CINAHL a medical journal is akin to calling TV Guide a TV channel.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I hear you bro, I'm so sick of people talking about starvation mode. It's all a load of B.S in my opinion, or the whole "Your body will start burning muscle instead of fat" LIESSSSS, your fat is there for when your body needs it, that's the whole point of fat people. Your body will only start breaking down your muscle tissue once it's fat reserves are gone.

100% true!!!
  • Prephred
    Prephred Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I read about half way then had to stop due to the complete lack of proper spelling, and punctuation. I will not read one giant run-on sentence. At some point we are required to breathe.

Not only that but some people's body do go into starvation mode. It depends on the person. I had to start eating 1000 calories more than I was in order to start losing weight. I had been eating 1200 - 1500 calories for years. No joy. I had totally trashed my metabolic rate. I have lost close to 15 lbs since march and am continuing down even though I am eating more.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think some people are just jealous that we have the willpower not to stuff our faces all the time.

that's probably it. but still, it's weird that it's always the people furthest away from goal that say stuff like this. i rarely see someone say this that has lost a ton of weight and is at or near their GW.

hmmmmmm.....coinkydink?

It was a joke. Time to lighten up. Why don't you eat something. You seem hangry.
  • shannonespinoza
    Options
    CINAHL isn't a medical journal. It is a index of the nursing and allied health literature that directs you to articles published in journal. Calling CINAHL a medical journal is akin to calling TV Guide a TV channel.

Yes...which I corrected. Thanks.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

hmmmmmm.....coinkydink?

It was a joke. Time to lighten up. Why don't you eat something. You seem hangry.

Rrriiigggghhhtttttt
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Some guys did a study

jkun81.jpg