THE BIG STARVATION MODE MYTH.

Options

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The funniest part is that most of the MFPers telling you to eat more are 20-something YO MEN. Nobody can metabolize like a 20-something YO man. They burn calories like they're on fire. I don't know how any of them ever get fat. They have to be working hard at that!

Anyway, size, gender, age, condition, lifestyle-- all play a part in how much or how little you have to eat to lose weight. Nobody can tell me that I should eat like a 20 YO man to lose weight.

I don't hold with bro-science.

I used to eat more-- and I weighed more!
    cause I wasn't fat right?

Also, there is plenty of women here on these forums telling other women to eat more to lose weight. BECAUSE WE HAVE DONE IT AND IT WORKED FOR US TOO.

To be honest, I'm happy to watch you all starving and unhappy at 1200 calories, laughing as I ate 1600 cals per day and lost weight. In fact, I currently eat 2000 calories per day and I'm still managing to lose weight that I hadn't even planned to lose.
    So enjoy your 1200 calories per day, I'm sure you are super full of life and happy right?
  • EmmieCar86
    EmmieCar86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    To keep your metab up on a low calorie intake is to get at least 8 hours of sleep and eat 6 times a day and i will stand by that
    You don't need to eat 6 times a day to "keep the metabolism up". Eating 1200-1500 cals a day spread out to 6 meals is 200-300 cals per meal, that is a light snack to most people. Eating 6 light snacks a day will do a great job at keeping you ravenously hungry all day long. Besides who whats to live by the tupperware container and the clock?

Not me. I have a life
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    If you want to eat 1,200 calories a day...have fun. I'm eating more like 1,800 and still losing weight.

QFT.........I eat 1950 calories a day and I'm losing weight.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    To keep your metab up on a low calorie intake is to get at least 8 hours of sleep and eat 6 times a day and i will stand by that but their is no reason why you cant do that. I don't people got obese from eating less no that's not the way it is never was never will be. And the starvation mode is when your metab slows down so go for a walk that should speed it up too. but Regardless you will lose all the weight you need because your in a Calorie Defiant. OMG i just ate lettuce today and that's it that's my new diet I lost weight hey you lose weight HOW from eating less. people you see who actually get success long term their eating less not more. less.

Translator? Anyone?
    My dear fellow MFPers,

To keep your metabolism up while you are on a low caloric intake, the best way would be to get at least 8 hours of sleep, and consume at least 6 meals a day, and I will stand by that. However, there is no reason why you can't do so in another way. People in the world did not become obese from eating less calories than what perhaps you feel they should, as that is not the proper way, either now, or ever. The starvation mode is what people call it when your metabolism slows down, so what you should do instead is to partake in a walk, or other brisk exercise that will speed your metabolism back to it's proper speed. Regardless, you shall still lose weight because you are continuing to eat at a calorie deficit. My lord in heaven, I just ate a piece of greenery, in this instance a single leaf of lettuc, and that's my new diet, and I have happened to shed a few pounds. Forsooth, you lose weight from eating less, hence when you see people who have success in a long term standing, it is because of this.

*note - These are not my views, and are the views of the poster.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just snorted my tea through my nose.......thanks for the laugh :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have to eat over 2500 to not lose any weight.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I hear you bro, I'm so sick of people talking about starvation mode. It's all a load of B.S in my opinion, or the whole "Your body will start burning muscle instead of fat" LIESSSSS, your fat is there for when your body needs it, that's the whole point of fat people. Your body will only start breaking down your muscle tissue once it's fat reserves are gone.

100% true!!!

Actually, not true. Your body will lose muscle if you are not getting enough nutrients and protein to keep what you have. It doesn't necessarily 'break it down' for energy, but you lost the amount of muscle mass and the strength that comes with it. Starvation mode is just misunderstood, but it is a real thing.

I think I'm gonna go with my doctor on this one but thanks for playing.

Notice I didn't say it will burn muscle. Muscle must be fed protein and some carbohydrate for repair and some excess for mass gain. When you do not get that, your performance will suffer, as will your muscle mass and strength. "Starvation Mode" is just a misunderstood and often misinterpreted term or concept (as I said in my longer post here). Furthermore, I am and I hope you are aware that you CAN burn muscle for energy, but it usually only happens in distance runners or people who have eating disorders and conditions. I hope that I'm clearing up any misunderstanding that my previous post may have brought on. On a side note, your standard Doctors may be educated in general health and diagnostics, but are not fitness experts nor nutritionalists - the two fields that deal with this issue specifically. Just something to consider. We're here to help each other, not belittle others or be so callous as to have a condescending attitude.

Doctors who are dieticians are experts in fitness and nutrition. And the condescension started with you so practice what you preach.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I hear you bro, I'm so sick of people talking about starvation mode. It's all a load of B.S in my opinion, or the whole "Your body will start burning muscle instead of fat" LIESSSSS, your fat is there for when your body needs it, that's the whole point of fat people. Your body will only start breaking down your muscle tissue once it's fat reserves are gone.

100% true!!!

Actually, not true. Your body will lose muscle if you are not getting enough nutrients and protein to keep what you have. It doesn't necessarily 'break it down' for energy, but you lost the amount of muscle mass and the strength that comes with it. Starvation mode is just misunderstood, but it is a real thing.

I think I'm gonna go with my doctor on this one but thanks for playing.

Notice I didn't say it will burn muscle. Muscle must be fed protein and some carbohydrate for repair and some excess for mass gain. When you do not get that, your performance will suffer, as will your muscle mass and strength. "Starvation Mode" is just a misunderstood and often misinterpreted term or concept (as I said in my longer post here). Furthermore, I am and I hope you are aware that you CAN burn muscle for energy, but it usually only happens in distance runners or people who have eating disorders and conditions. I hope that I'm clearing up any misunderstanding that my previous post may have brought on. On a side note, your standard Doctors may be educated in general health and diagnostics, but are not fitness experts nor nutritionalists - the two fields that deal with this issue specifically. Just something to consider. We're here to help each other, not belittle others or be so callous as to have a condescending attitude.

When I called my doctor because I was concerned that I was losing more than 3 pounds a week (when I first started), all his nurse could suggest was a sample 1200 meal plan. I turned it down because I was already losing "too fast" on 2300 calories a day. She told me that was not uncommon. I adore that office and they are quite knowledgeable, but maybe not the best resource out there for the nuances of dieting.

My doctor specializes in diet and nutrition so he really is the best resource for it.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    There is a starvaton mode. It is not a myth. Your metabolism slows and you start to use muscle not fat to keep going and hello that means all muscle heart included is susetible to this. When it occurs is at times a mystery but it does occur and your grey matter in your brain shrinks until you have enough nutrients hence brain fog. many with ED can tell you it happens. If you want to play Russian rolette with your life go ahead. This site was started to share and help each other do it in a safe way. And for many it is not to loose but maintain and stay healthy . You will loose at first but at what cost you might need meds for heart or mess your brain or metabolism up to where it wont recover and for what a pretty body? Get over it and enjoy lfe what ever size and be healthy about it.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    There is a starvaton mode. It is not a myth. Your metabolism slows and you start to use muscle not fat to keep going and hello that means all muscle heart included is susetible to this. When it occurs is at times a mystery but it does occur and your grey matter in your brain shrinks until you have enough nutrients hence brain fog. many with ED can tell you it happens. If you want to play Russian rolette with your life go ahead. This site was started to share and help each other do it in a safe way. And for many it is not to loose but maintain and stay healthy . You will loose at first but at what cost you might need meds for heart or mess your brain or metabolism up to where it wont recover and for what a pretty body? Get over it and enjoy lfe what ever size and be healthy about it.

yea if you are literally starving

starvation mode does not happen for the regular person or even those at 50% deficit
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    People say don't eat 1200 or even 1500 calories a day. They say eat more, to weigh less, but people you see on youtube eat 1200 and are losing over 80+ pounds. Can you explain that maybe it is better to eat more in the 1800s, but don't tell people that starvation will come up and get them because it's a flat out lie. Especially if your obese. Some guys did a study and that's the huge thing, that's why people think they're in starvation mode. How can you tell someone to eat more when that's what they have been doing all along, hence why they're overweight to begin with. Look at people in different countries starving, they are not going into starvation mode. No I don't think so. You need to look around you. People want you to fail in weight loss, they will make up anything to make sure you don't succeed. Why IDK. But its true weight loss and takes a long freaking time. You need to think of it in long terms, I mean like 3-5 years, it will need to be a lifestyle change. People think they are going into starvation mode because omg i hit a plateau. It happens with everyone. You're never going to get away from that. Sorry guys. JUST BECAUSE YOU HIT A PLATEAU DOES NOT MEAN YOUR IN STARVATION MODE. 1200 isn't starving yourself. What happens when you don't get enough food your body? It has to go into your fat stores, it's science people. End of story. Comments please thanks:) Oh fyi iv lost 40 pounds.

Say "End of Story" and then ask for comments *scratches head*

..then random non-sequiter mention of amount of weight lost.
  • gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I did the whole 1200 calories for a little while. I stopped, not because of the "starvation mode" thing, but because I was always hungry and cranky. I now net generally between 1400-1800 and I'm losing weight and inches, without feeling hungry. I'm also in a way better mood nowadays. I would not call that stuffing my face.

^^^ Ditto :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I did the whole 1200 calories for a little while. I stopped, not because of the "starvation mode" thing, but because I was always hungry and cranky. I now net generally between 1400-1800 and I'm losing weight and inches, without feeling hungry. I'm also in a way better mood nowadays. I would not call that stuffing my face.

^^^ Ditto :)
    there are many factors on weight not dropping
    -water retention r/t sodium, estrogen(especially for women).
    -"whoosh phenomenon"
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The originally research is highly mid-cited by people. Starvation mode occurs when u drop below 50% of minimum body caloric requirements and means that ur metabolism slows down to try to conserve body mass. Slows down NOT stop and goes in reverse. Ie, u lose weight more slowly. 1200 was a non scientific number that is recommended by some major organization but has no scientific backing. It's intended as a benchmark to help ensure people get adequet nutrients. People are just really bad about doing their research on weight loss *shrug*
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the STARVATION MODE!

Starvation mode is a term that gets thrown around loosely. Many people believe that too little protein or too few of calories in a day will cause loss of muscle mass. What if I told you that it is extremely difficult to go into starvation mode until you get down to 5% body fat(10% for women)

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The originally research is highly mid-cited by people. Starvation mode occurs when u drop below 50% of minimum body caloric requirements and means that ur metabolism slows down to try to conserve body mass. Slows down NOT stop and goes in reverse. Ie, u lose weight more slowly. 1200 was a non scientific number that is recommended by some major organization but has no scientific backing. It's intended as a benchmark to help ensure people get adequet nutrients. People are just really bad about doing their research on weight loss *shrug*

Mis-cited darn autocorrect!
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    'starvation mode' preventing you from losing fat = myth

'starvation mode' subtracting large amounts of muscle mass most people would perfer to have = truth

this
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the STARVATION MODE!

Starvation mode is a term that gets thrown around loosely. Many people believe that too little protein or too few of calories in a day will cause loss of muscle mass. What if I told you that it is extremely difficult to go into starvation mode until you get down to 5% body fat(10% for women)

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

^^this is actually a terrible reference and does not accurately represent the studies I think they are talking about (they do not quote them but I believe they reference the Ranger series of studies).
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    OP and most of thread (and most of world) not actually correct (or at least mostly/partially wrong)

read up on the minnesota starvation experiment to educate yourselves!

tl;dr from reddit.com/r/fitness FAQ:

There is a maximum amount of fat loss your body can endure(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615), before it starts losing muscle. That amount is 31 calories/day/lb of fat (Note that the author revised this number from 31 to 22 cal an email exchange with Redditor, Chr0me). (http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/fo07j/if_youre_trying_to_lose_weight_keep_in_mind_that/c1hd7q1/)

Be aware, though, that this data comes from the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, and uses subjects under severe dietary restriction that did not strength train. This information should be taken with a grain of salt. See Lyle McDonald's take on this study for more.
    (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showpost.php?p=139222&postcount=3)
  • CFox56
    CFox56 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with you... and the only way I have ever been able to lose weight was to severely restrict my calorie intake. If I ate as many calories as some of the diets say, I would weigh 300 pounds. I have always eaten pretty healthy. Granted, I splurge on special occasions, but I am not a junk food, snack food person. I actually saw on Dr. Oz about the fat gene and I totally believe it now. My entire mother's side of her family were big people and my mother and grandmother were not big eaters. Granted, they didn't exercise much, but to weigh as much as they did, didn't make any sense.

Dr. Oz had a DNA laboratory test you could send for to test your DNA and see if your genetic makeup contained one of the "fat genes" so I decided to give it a try. Sure enough... what I thought along came back as true. It broke down my DNA and even gave the gene sequences and, in conclusion, said with my genetic makeup and the "fat gene" that I had, I had to severely restrict my calorie intake while combining it with intense exercising! DUH! While I had been saying this all along, it was a relief to finally have proof. The older I have gotten, the harder and harder it is to lose. Last year, I joined the gym and started working out 6-7 days a week for at least 1 (oftentimes 2 hrs. a day). I ate the same... since I wasn't eating much to begin with... and I did lose about 15 lbs... but after 4+ months, I was so depressed. I felt like my entire life was getting up at 4:00 am, going to work, going to gym right from work, getting home at 6:30 or 7:00, showering, grabbing a bite to eat and going to bed. I was not having any fun, let alone not spending any time with my husband. Granted, I felt really good about myself... but I wanted to come home from work and spend time with my hubby in our yard, watching the animals... I finally burnt out and now have gained what I lost plus another 8 lbs, which is sooo frustrating. I even have seen several health reports on television where the people who severely limit their caloric intake, i.e., mainly eating salads, etc., do much better health wise.