What should my daily caloric intake be?

Options
I'm 5'1, weigh 135-would like to her back to 120. I burn 300 calories a day. I am eating 1000 a day plus the 300 I burn but today I felt very weak during workout. I am thinking maybe I'm not eating enough??? But am also scared to eat more and gain weight? What are your thoughts on what my size body should take in given this info? Thanks so much!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You already know you're not eating enough and that's why you feel weak. What exactly is your question?
  • seraphinos
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You already know you're not eating enough and that's why you feel weak. What exactly is your question?

Obviously if I knew I wouldn't be asking- I thought the goal of this was to help others? Not belittle and discourage with sarcastic comments :(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Stating the obvious is not belittling. You need to remember that people on here are not advocates of under eating. People don't come to need to lose weight by not being able to eat enough. You are eating so little that you feel weak, that makes it pretty obvious, that you're not eating sufficiently.
    When you set up MFP, it gives you a minimum caloric intake of 1200 calories. If you were following their recommendations, plus eating exercise calories, you would still lose. More importantly you would be doing it in a healthy sustainable way.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    seraphinos wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Obviously if I knew I wouldn't be asking- I thought the goal of this was to help others? Not belittle and discourage with sarcastic comments :(
    You said yourself "I think I'm not eating enough," which would entail you knowing that something isn't right.

You're also not following the caloric goal MFP has set for you, as the cut off is 1200. Perhaps try actually sticking to the calorie goal that MFP sets up for you when you set up your account and eat back at least half of your exercise calories.

Your overall goal is less than 30lbs as well. Change your goal to 1lb/week and eat to your given goal every day
  • seraphinos
    Options
    Knowing something isn't right and knowing what to do are two different things which is why I asked. If you can't be positive then please don't post. Thanks!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

With 15lbs to lose (to get from 135 to 120), you should be at .5lb/week. 1,000 calories per day is far too low. Plug in that and your activity level to MFP, and eat what it tells you to. If you net less than 1,200 a day after exercise, eat back a partial number of your calories to bring you up to a healthy net per day.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Knowing something isn't right and knowing what to do are two different things which is why I asked. If you can't be positive then please don't post. Thanks!

You don't get to tell people not to post if they aren't going to blow sunshine up you bum. That's not how this works.

Again, saying "I am thinking maybe I'm not eating enough???" means you at least suspect that could be the problem. The obvious solution would be to eat more, and at least at the caloric minimum recommended to you when MFP is properly configured.

"But am also scared to eat more and gain weight?" And that sends up a red flag. Understanding that you're likely under eating, but fearing weight gain is leaning towards disordered thinking about food. You might want to consider seeking help for that if it's enough to make you not want to eat at a proper level to fuel your body.
  • seraphinos
    Options

With 15lbs to lose (to get from 135 to 120), you should be at .5lb/week. 1,000 calories per day is far too low. Plug in that and your activity level to MFP, and eat what it tells you to. If you net less than 1,200 a day after exercise, eat back a partial number of your calories to bring you up to a healthy net per day.

Thank you so very much for this helpful information missiontofitness! You have been very informative and encouraging!!! I appreciate it!
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Thank you so very much for this helpful information missiontofitness! You have been very informative and encouraging!!! I appreciate it!

No problem! Your logging will need to be tight since your calorie deficit will be small. If you don't have one already, get a food scale and use USDA entries whenever possible in the database. Good luck!
  • seraphinos
    Options

No problem! Your logging will need to be tight since your calorie deficit will be small. If you don't have one already, get a food scale and use USDA entries whenever possible in the database. Good luck!

It's showing 1700 calories with the update you suggested. Do you think I will still lose, doing 30 min cardio daily eating that. Also should the 1700 be mostly whole food calories?
  • seraphinos
    Options

You don't get to tell people not to post if they aren't going to blow sunshine up you bum. That's not how this works.

Again, saying "I am thinking maybe I'm not eating enough???" means you at least suspect that could be the problem. The obvious solution would be to eat more, and at least at the caloric minimum recommended to you when MFP is properly configured.

"But am also scared to eat more and gain weight?" And that sends up a red flag. Understanding that you're likely under eating, but fearing weight gain is leaning towards disordered thinking about food. You might want to consider seeking help for that if it's enough to make you not want to eat at a proper level to fuel your body.

You sound like a ray of sunshine! Thanks for your "helpful" advice.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

It's showing 1700 calories with the update you suggested. Do you think I will still lose, doing 30 min cardio daily eating that. Also should the 1700 be mostly whole food calories?

Doesn't matter where they come from, as long as you are remaining in a deficit. I have an iced coffee from Dunks each day that comes in around 180 calories, I still have candy, I still have pizza, and I continue to lose because I have a deficit.

If you put in your activity level correctly, 1,700 should be correct. If you are using MFP's guided route, it will automatically reduce your calories down as you lose. If after an extended period of time you haven't lost (1-2 months), take a look at your intake (this is where weighing food is helpful). If it's still too much, reduce down by 100 calories until you begin to lose again.
  • nalis22
    Options
    you could try this online calculator to know how much you need to eat in order to mantain weight or lose weight http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm good luck!
  • ana3067
    Options

Imo her advice WAS helpful. To be fearful that eating more than 1000 calories would make you gain weight is not a healthy mindset.
  • seraphinos
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Imo her advice WAS helpful. To be fearful that eating more than 1000 calories would make you gain weight is not a healthy mindset.

;)
  • seraphinos
    Options

Doesn't matter where they come from, as long as you are remaining in a deficit. I have an iced coffee from Dunks each day that comes in around 180 calories, I still have candy, I still have pizza, and I continue to lose because I have a deficit.

If you put in your activity level correctly, 1,700 should be correct. If you are using MFP's guided route, it will automatically reduce your calories down as you lose. If after an extended period of time you haven't lost (1-2 months), take a look at your intake (this is where weighing food is helpful). If it's still too much, reduce down by 100 calories until you begin to lose again.

Great advice missiontofitness!! I'm glad to know! I eat very healthy but sometimes you just need pizza! Haha! Thanks for being so informative. I feel better after your advice!! Wish everyone could be as positive and uplifting! Thanks again!!!
  • seraphinos
    Options
    nalis22 wrote: »
    you could try this online calculator to know how much you need to eat in order to mantain weight or lose weight http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm good luck!

I will definitely check this out now! Thank you so much!!!! This is very helpful!!
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal.

This commonly regurgitated advice is not based on any existing science.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

Who cares? Do you think it's really reasonable for someone who has 10lbs to lose to eat 1000 calories below their maintenance needs? My estimated maintenance needs at 145lbs is around 2200. If I wanted to get down to 135, like hell I'd eat 1200 calories. I'd really at most only be able to handle 1900.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »

Who cares? Do you think it's really reasonable for someone who has 10lbs to lose to eat 1000 calories below their maintenance needs? My estimated maintenance needs at 145lbs is around 2200. If I wanted to get down to 135, like hell I'd eat 1200 calories. I'd really at most only be able to handle 1900.

No, I don't, but nor do I think it's reasonable for someone with 40 lbs to lose to limit themselves to 1 lb/week.

The actual measured maximum catabolism rate for fat is 31 calories per pound per day. With 40 lbs of fat, you can sustain a loss of 2.48 lbs per week purely from fat, and yet people on MFP insist on repeating this silly copy-pasted "advice" which only serves to slow down an otherwise healthy rate of loss.
This discussion has been closed.