Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal.

This commonly regurgitated advice is not based on any existing science.

Who cares? Do you think it's really reasonable for someone who has 10lbs to lose to eat 1000 calories below their maintenance needs? My estimated maintenance needs at 145lbs is around 2200. If I wanted to get down to 135, like hell I'd eat 1200 calories. I'd really at most only be able to handle 1900.

No, I don't, but nor do I think it's reasonable for someone with 40 lbs to lose to limit themselves to 1 lb/week.

The actual measured maximum catabolism rate for fat is 31 calories per pound per day. With 40 lbs of fat, you can sustain a loss of 2.48 lbs per week purely from fat, and yet people on MFP insist on repeating this silly copy-pasted "advice" which only serves to slow down an otherwise healthy rate of loss.

Ok so-first let me say I am not trying to starve myself. I am new to MFP and put in 1000 calories. I need to lose 10-15 lbs. I'm not a nutritionist so that is why I am guessing. Obviously it wasn't right which is why I am on here asking in hopes someone who knows more than I do-can guide me as to what I should be doing. That's all.

Thanks for trying to be positive. I appreciate it and wish anyone who can't be that way would just keep comments to themselves as I personally am not wishing for sunshine up my bum-as Ana said. BUT what good does a negative vibe to for anyone? No good.

Thanks for your input!! It's appreciated!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    seraphinos wrote: »
    Ok so-first let me say I am not trying to starve myself. I am new to MFP and put in 1000 calories. I need to lose 10-15 lbs. I'm not a nutritionist so that is why I am guessing. Obviously it wasn't right which is why I am on here asking in hopes someone who knows more than I do-can guide me as to what I should be doing. That's all.

Thanks for trying to be positive. I appreciate it and wish anyone who can't be that way would just keep comments to themselves as I personally am not wishing for sunshine up my bum-as Ana said. BUT what good does a negative vibe to for anyone? No good.

Right here is the problem. If you allowed MFP to figure your calories, based on a reasonable goal of loss, it would give you a decent number and you wouldn't be feeling weak.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'll be honest seraphinos, I'm not sure why you need the message board to answer the question. The entire purpose of the MFP website is to calculate this number for you. Plug your info into your account, eat what it tells you, and you'll almost certainly lose weight.

You want to lose 10-15 lbs. You can generate about 385 calories per day from fat stores (at 12.5 lbs of fat). This is about 2700 calories per week, or 0.77 pounds per week. Losing faster than that will consume large amounts of muscle which you should try to avoid. You should set your initial goal to 0.5 to 1 pound per week, and decrease that to 0.5 pounds per week when you get down to less than 8 pounds to go (8 x 31 x 7 is 1736, about half of the 3500 calories in a pound).
  • seraphinos
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Right here is the problem. If you allowed MFP to figure your calories, based on a reasonable goal of loss, it would give you a decent number and you wouldn't be feeling weak.

I didn't know it could do that... Now I do. Thanks to missiontofitness.
  • seraphinos
    Options
    I'll be honest seraphinos, I'm not sure why you need the message board to answer the question. The entire purpose of the MFP website is to calculate this number for you. Plug your info into your account, eat what it tells you, and you'll almost certainly lose weight.

You want to lose 10-15 lbs. You can generate about 385 calories per day from fat stores (at 12.5 lbs of fat). This is about 2700 calories per week, or 0.77 pounds per week. Losing faster than that will consume large amounts of muscle which you should try to avoid. You should set your initial goal to 0.5 to 1 pound per week, and decrease that to 0.5 pounds per week when you get down to less than 8 pounds to go (8 x 31 x 7 is 1736, about half of the 3500 calories in a pound).

I didn't know MFP calculated calories!! I just got the app, and was using it to look up food. I just found this out tonight.

Your information is super helpful though!! And I will do that, thank you for your help!! I appreciate it!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Who cares? Do you think it's really reasonable for someone who has 10lbs to lose to eat 1000 calories below their maintenance needs? My estimated maintenance needs at 145lbs is around 2200. If I wanted to get down to 135, like hell I'd eat 1200 calories. I'd really at most only be able to handle 1900.

No, I don't, but nor do I think it's reasonable for someone with 40 lbs to lose to limit themselves to 1 lb/week.

The actual measured maximum catabolism rate for fat is 31 calories per pound per day. With 40 lbs of fat, you can sustain a loss of 2.48 lbs per week purely from fat, and yet people on MFP insist on repeating this silly copy-pasted "advice" which only serves to slow down an otherwise healthy rate of loss.

I had 40lbs to lose... I started out at 1lb/week. If I'd done even 1.5lb/week I wouldn't have adhered to the caloric intake because it would have been too low for me. Even while I was first losing I quickly wanted to eat more than I was eating, and my goals have generally been between 2000-2200 this entire time. So a 1lb/week, 4lb/month weight loss goal for someone with 40lbs to lose is perfectly reasonable.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Remember; however, that no matter what this, or any other, program says you still need to listen to your body. Fatigue from lack of caloric intake is easy to fix and I would avoid it if you are trying to workout at the same time. No need to kill your fitness level just to hasten your weight loss. Health is more than a number on a scale so remember that what you do can have lasting effects on your body.

Good luck to you.
  • ana3067
    Options

And you didn't think to simply let MFP set the goals for you, which it basically wants to do as soon as you sign up?
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options

I had 40lbs to lose... I started out at 1lb/week. If I'd done even 1.5lb/week I wouldn't have adhered to the caloric intake because it would have been too low for me. Even while I was first losing I quickly wanted to eat more than I was eating, and my goals have generally been between 2000-2200 this entire time. So a 1lb/week, 4lb/month weight loss goal for someone with 40lbs to lose is perfectly reasonable.

For you. A 1 lb/week loss was reasonable for you.

If other people post on this site that they want to lose 2 lbs/wk at 40+ lbs to go, people jump down their throat with this nonsense about that being unhealthy and unsustainable, which is objectively untrue.
  • ana3067
    Options

I'm pretty sure you did know that thouhg, because this is what the website does as you are creating your account. The entire set up of your account is basically putting in your stats and your weight loss goals. Which then spits out your caloric intake goal.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

What you claim you didn't know you could do is part of the setup where it says "have MyFitnessPal determine my goals automatically (Recommended)" ... you had to skip past it to manually set a caloric intake.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

With 15lbs to lose (to get from 135 to 120), you should be at .5lb/week. 1,000 calories per day is far too low. Plug in that and your activity level to MFP, and eat what it tells you to. If you net less than 1,200 a day after exercise, eat back a partial number of your calories to bring you up to a healthy net per day.

@missiontofitness Curious. Where did these numbers come from?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure you did know that thouhg, because this is what the website does as you are creating your account. The entire set up of your account is basically putting in your stats and your weight loss goals. Which then spits out your caloric intake goal.

And when you go in and edit your goals it looks like this...

B98E3ex.png

Those red letters sure are hard to miss. Or this little warning .. "While MyFitnessPal does allow you to set your own customized fitness goals, we do not recommend that you do so without the advice of a health professional."
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

With 15lbs to lose (to get from 135 to 120), you should be at .5lb/week. 1,000 calories per day is far too low. Plug in that and your activity level to MFP, and eat what it tells you to. If you net less than 1,200 a day after exercise, eat back a partial number of your calories to bring you up to a healthy net per day.

Thank you so very much for this helpful information missiontofitness! You have been very informative and encouraging!!! I appreciate it!

No problem! Your logging will need to be tight since your calorie deficit will be small. If you don't have one already, get a food scale and use USDA entries whenever possible in the database. Good luck!

It's showing 1700 calories with the update you suggested. Do you think I will still lose, doing 30 min cardio daily eating that. Also should the 1700 be mostly whole food calories?

Doesn't matter where they come from, as long as you are remaining in a deficit. I have an iced coffee from Dunks each day that comes in around 180 calories, I still have candy, I still have pizza, and I continue to lose because I have a deficit.

If you put in your activity level correctly, 1,700 should be correct. If you are using MFP's guided route, it will automatically reduce your calories down as you lose. If after an extended period of time you haven't lost (1-2 months), take a look at your intake (this is where weighing food is helpful). If it's still too much, reduce down by 100 calories until you begin to lose again.

Great advice missiontofitness!! I'm glad to know! I eat very healthy but sometimes you just need pizza! Haha! Thanks for being so informative. I feel better after your advice!! Wish everyone could be as positive and uplifting! Thanks again!!!

No problem! I've found cooking at home is awesome over the past year. With pizza, I'll make them on Joseph's pitas, and can have 1-2 depending on how hungry I am. It's also cheaper than going out and buying a pizza at a restaurant, and takes me 10 minutes from start to finish to prep and get in my stomach. I also learned how to make Chinese food at home (like orange chicken). If you can't live without it, you can learn how to make it at home and alter it to your tastes. :)
  • seraphinos
    Options

Yes it did! But I didn't know it would suggest what calories to eat...or at least it didn't for me.
  • seraphinos
    Options

Thank you so very much for this helpful information missiontofitness! You have been very informative and encouraging!!! I appreciate it!

No problem! Your logging will need to be tight since your calorie deficit will be small. If you don't have one already, get a food scale and use USDA entries whenever possible in the database. Good luck!

It's showing 1700 calories with the update you suggested. Do you think I will still lose, doing 30 min cardio daily eating that. Also should the 1700 be mostly whole food calories?

Doesn't matter where they come from, as long as you are remaining in a deficit. I have an iced coffee from Dunks each day that comes in around 180 calories, I still have candy, I still have pizza, and I continue to lose because I have a deficit.

If you put in your activity level correctly, 1,700 should be correct. If you are using MFP's guided route, it will automatically reduce your calories down as you lose. If after an extended period of time you haven't lost (1-2 months), take a look at your intake (this is where weighing food is helpful). If it's still too much, reduce down by 100 calories until you begin to lose again.

Great advice missiontofitness!! I'm glad to know! I eat very healthy but sometimes you just need pizza! Haha! Thanks for being so informative. I feel better after your advice!! Wish everyone could be as positive and uplifting! Thanks again!!!

No problem! I've found cooking at home is awesome over the past year. With pizza, I'll make them on Joseph's pitas, and can have 1-2 depending on how hungry I am. It's also cheaper than going out and buying a pizza at a restaurant, and takes me 10 minutes from start to finish to prep and get in my stomach. I also learned how to make Chinese food at home (like orange chicken). If you can't live without it, you can learn how to make it at home and alter it to your tastes. :)

Awesome to know! Haha. :)). And I love Chinese food!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Yes it did! But I didn't know it would suggest what calories to eat...or at least it didn't for me.

It does for everyone. You bypassed it, deliberately set a low caloric intake, then wondered why you lacked energy.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Dr.-Evil-Sarcastic-Right-In-Austin-Powers-Gifs.gif
  • seraphinos
    Options

And when you go in and edit your goals it looks like this...

B98E3ex.png

Those red letters sure are hard to miss. Or this little warning .. "While MyFitnessPal does allow you to set your own customized fitness goals, we do not recommend that you do so without the advice of a health professional."

It in fact didn't do that for me, but curious what does it matter to you? Why is everyone concerned with what I didn't know and not concerned with helping me get there? Wow! I'm done with answering to you as I am trying to just keep positive! Hope you have a great night. You and Ana can continue the feud between yourselves being nasty about someone you do not know.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Awesome to know! Haha. :)). And I love Chinese food!!

http://damndelicious.net/2013/10/19/chinese-orange-chicken/

This is my go-to recipe for it. The calories aren't excessively high because you aren't consuming all of the oil used in the frying process/recipe, nor are you using all the corn starch. I also pat down the chicken with a paper towel before tossing it with the sauce. Goes well with some fresh jasmine rice, or straight out of the bowl if you're impatient like me, haha.
This discussion has been closed.