Favourite Vegetable? What do you do with it?

Options
My fave fave vegetable has to be butternut squash, low calorie...not too sweet and i love roast it or mash it or soup it...my favourite bsquash meal is to half it, roast it and put lentil sau e on top with a blob of yoghurt. Mmmm..

whats your fave veg and recipe?

Replies

• RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I also love butternut squash. I cook it in the pressure cooker and pour chicken broth over it. It's so good!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Asparagus. Roast in oven and drizzle with EVOO and garlic.

Green beans… Steam or roast in oven, drizzle with EVOO and garlic or EVOO and parmesan.

I also like roasted broccoli and lemon juice poured over.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts. I like them halved, tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper and roasted then spritzed with lemon.

Cauliflower.... tossed with olive oil and smoked paprika and roasted.

Red peppers... tossed with olive oil and roasted.

Kale, sauteed/pan braised with LOTS of garlic and olive oil and vegetable broth then finished with lemon juice poured over.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Artichokes, steamed-little mayo for dipping.
    Asparagus, light olive oil S+P, grill.
    kabocha squash, toss olive oil, season with pumpkin pie spice, bake.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Kale! I make kale chips in the oven or dehydrator with a little nutritional yeast & sea salt! :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    zucchini! I love to marinate my zucchini in homemade Italian dressing for 2 hours then grill it.... It's delicious and easy.
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts. I like them halved, tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper and roasted then spritzed with lemon.

This, this, this.... EXactly!! Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight? THIS!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower. Roasted, mashed with cream cheese or laughing cow cheese, in soups, in 'fried' rice...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, in any form. I eat them like apples for snacks, caprese and all kinds of other salads, ratatouille, tomato juice (with or without vodka), marinara.. basically I eat them every day all the time in any shape or form.

And then there is potatoes.. but who doesn't love those?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, I'm boring. I usually steam it with seasoning salt. Mostly because I'm lazy to try other things. I put other veges in my meals (peas, carrots, green beans, mostly) I will have to try butternut squash. Not sure that I've ever had it.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I was going to say butternut squash!

I like carrots roasted with balsamic vinegar, red peppers sliced and eaten raw with hummus, or brussel sprouts pan-fried with pancetta and red onion.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts, cauliflower, Kale

All pretty much sauteed in EVOO with garlic and spices. I usually add crushed red pepper to everything!!! I like my veggies crunchy and bright!
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've only had butternut squash in soups but it sounds lovely roasted. How long do you cook it for, and do you literally have it on it's own as a meal (i.e. with chicken broth/lentil sauce poured over it?) And what is lentil sauce?? Thanks :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I love butternut squash. I bake it whole . . . sort of like a baked potato: wash it, make three or four cuts in it, and put it in a pan. I bake it at 375 degrees for about 60-90 mins, depending of the size and how well done I want it. It is done when it is starting to change its color/get darker.
    After it cools a little, I cut it, scoop out the insides, and serve it with butter and salt.

Here is a site with slightly different instructions:
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/BakedButternut.htm
  • bonnbunx36
    Options
    My favorite are green beans and I just like them with salt and pepper, maybe hot sauce if im feeling it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Rapini (broccoli rabe) sauteed with garlic. I could eat it everyday
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I love all veggies except okra but I adore eggplant roasted with garlic and olive oil, salt/pepper.
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Almost every food in China is delicious can't choose at the moment.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Damn...now I'm really hungry reading all these delicious posts!
  • iamnotvoldemort
    iamnotvoldemort Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can eat raw tomatoes all day long. One of my favorite childhood snacks was either tomatoes in a sandwich with cheese or just cut up and dipped in mayo (I do olive oil, salt and pepper now). One every few months I will eat pizza with marinara or use spaghetti sauce on pasta, but in general, I'm not much of a fan once they're cooked.

My favorite used to be broccoli in any form but I think I'm getting burnt out on broccoli. I've been really digging steamed baby carrots lately, though.