Favourite Vegetable? What do you do with it?

Options

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are so many good ones! But here's a shout-out for sauteed RED CABBAGE! You need to add an acid to keep it red and then some sweetness to counteract the acid. It's loaded with more nutrients than it's green equivalent and yummy. A head keeps, even when cut in half, a couple weeks in the fridge. Throw turkey kielbasa in it and you've got a meal!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Definitely Brussel sprouts and cauliflower. Just plain old boiled! Yum.
  • jeneveg
    jeneveg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love celeriac and use it like I would potato. One of my fave ways to prepare it is roasted with garlic then blended to a puree with low fat cream cheese. I have this with fish and veg and a massive portion is ridiculously low in cals.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Fresh Brussels sprouts have a mustards taste when roasted. Plain for me but with butter and chopped bacon for him.

Roast garlic. Beautiful.
    Sweetcorn on cob brushed with butter and paprika roasted

I will only not eat swede. Vile
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Butternut Squash as well. Sweat some onions and garlic down, add the chopped up BNS and plenty of boiling water. Then when all is boiling, add 100g red lentils and a teaspoon of yeast extract and seasonings.
    - simmer for a further 20 - 30 mins and whiz in a blender to a fine textured thick soup.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Oh just thought - olives. I made a tapanade for cod the other day:

3 tbs olive oil
    Half cup olives
    Half cup capers
    Five red tomatoes deseeded
    Shallots
    Fresh oregano
    Pepper
    Pinch salt

Blitz in blender

Fry off in pan to release flavours
    Spoon over cod half way through cooking... The oil drains off. Rich. Tasty
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use red cabbage as a stir-fry substitute for rice. Delicious. Also green beans with garlic and olive oil. In fact I think I will have that for dinner tonight. :D
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! Cooking it is like a Play-Doh Fun Factory for adults. So very satisfying. I like it plain, mixed with cottage cheese, or topped with chili powder.

For crunchiness, I love me some raw jicama. Peel it, slice it thin, sprinkle with salt, maybe lime juice, definitely chili powder or cayenne pepper.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Cauliflower. Roasted, mashed with cream cheese or laughing cow cheese, in soups, in 'fried' rice...

Love Cauliflower! I can't wait till it's on sale in the spring. I Love to use it in place of potatoes for many things. Or I will add it to a potato and have less calories and more mash. MMMM getting inspired:)

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    When in season...I love asparagus, roasted & dressed with a reduced balsamic vinegar, and maybe some blue cheese.

Eggplant - roasted along with red onions and garlic. I used to put it in a couscous salad with a lemon vinaigrette (Ina Garten recipe with lots less oil) with chickpeas and feta. Now I eat it straight out of the oven.

Cauliflower either roasted or steamed and pureed as a sub for mashed potatoes. I've added roasted garlic, a bit of cream cheese or grated parmesan. It's my go-to for thanksgiving.

Swiss chard..fresh from the garden, sautéed with garlic and a little olive oil.
  • jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Zucchini. It goes in everything. Eggs, stir fries, soups. I have broiled it to make fries a couple of times too. I also finally bought a spiralizer to turn it into pasta. I can make pretty decent noodles with it by hand, though.
  • Spinach & tomato combination, especially for omelets & pizza.
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I love butternut squash. I bake it whole . . . sort of like a baked potato: wash it, make three or four cuts in it, and put it in a pan. I bake it at 375 degrees for about 60-90 mins, depending of the size and how well done I want it. It is done when it is starting to change its color/get darker.
    After it cools a little, I cut it, scoop out the insides, and serve it with butter and salt.

Here is a site with slightly different instructions:
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/BakedButternut.htm

That sounds lovely - thanks! Will have to give it a go :)
  • sajerd
    sajerd Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love most of my vegetables roasted. I just cut them up into bite sized pieces, toss with olive oil, s&p and some crushed red pepper (important) and roast in convection oven, tossing from time to time until done. Will depend on how much moisture is in them. Love the combo of onions, mushrooms, butternut squash, zucchini and cauliflower. My kids especially love the cauliflower and the butternut squash. Yum.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mushrooms. I love mushrooms. Sautéed, or raw in salads, whole, what ever.

Beets. Pickled, juiced, in salads, in falafel wraps or chicken shawarmas. I don't really cook with them much, but I've liked them in anything I've had them in.

Carrots. Roasted in butter and fat with a little rosemary, sautéed, juiced. I also peel them and eat them whole, raw, as a snack.

Onions. Caramelized, sautéed, raw, it's all good.

Eggplant, zucchini and peppers I love grilled.

Sweet potatoes and asparagus are up there too.

Collard greens are nice boiled in soups. All greens, really. I like all vegetables, don't make me choose, I love them all!
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Oh and butternut squash! This thread is making my mouth water.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Carrots :laugh:
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I love Brussels sprouts plain and steamed.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    potatoes . i make mashed potatoes, hashbrowns,fries,potato bakes
  • sliverqueen
    sliverqueen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, I love it grilled with some garlic grapeseed oil drizzled on it and sprinkled with rancher steak rub. Both are from Wildtree, which I sell...but the rancher steak rub is similar to Montreal Steak Seasoning put out by McCormick just a healthier version. Mmmm so tasty.