Scared of trying moderation

Options
I'm going to ATTEMPT moderation with sweets. I've never been very good at it and it always ends...not so good...

It's because of these failed attempts that I've kept it out of my home, and only buy them in single servings when I crave them.

But I have now adopted a funky way of eating. I set an alarm for meal and snack times. Unless the alarm goes off, I do not eat, and only drink water. I started doing this because I was beginning to notice a mindless eating thing happening, and now I'm thinking it might help with moderation too.

Any thoughts, opinions and support are welcome. :)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging your day and include a snack or two. This way you don't feel deprived, therefore setting yourself up for the failure. You've got this!
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think, realistically, if you want to lose weight and have it stick for life, that you will have to learn moderation at some point. So, while eating to an alarm would definitely not work for me, I think part of this journey is trying different things with an open mind and seeing which ones work for you. Good luck!
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Try pre-logging your day and include a snack or two. This way you don't feel deprived, therefore setting yourself up for the failure. You've got this!

Hi thanks :) I do usually pre-log for the entire week. Its easy because I cook all my meals from scratch so I already have the whole menu planned out.

I just have trouble sticking to it if candy is involved. Those darn things whisper to me. They are evil. In a good way.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    I think, realistically, if you want to lose weight and have it stick for life, that you will have to learn moderation at some point. So, while eating to an alarm would definitely not work for me, I think part of this journey is trying different things with an open mind and seeing which ones work for you. Good luck!

Yeah its a little weird. Don't know how I came up with it. But its working. At least for the mindless eating. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Hi thanks :) I do usually pre-log for the entire week. Its easy because I cook all my meals from scratch so I already have the whole menu planned out.

I just have trouble sticking to it if candy is involved. Those darn things whisper to me. They are evil. In a good way.

Think positive instead of thinking that you can't do it. You are in control, you just tell yourself that you're not as an excuse.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I did the alarm thing too. Worked great! I don't use it now except for the days I notice I'm not drinking enough water. Moderation is a hard one to learn. If it turns out that you aren't ready for it, no worries, eventually you will be. I am able to moderate a lot of things that I couldn't before. However, bread is still my downfall so I just simply avoid it. For now. I'll work it back in, but not until I KNOW I'm ready to battle the trigger that it is. Whatever happened with the stuff your dad brought home?
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options

Think positive instead of thinking that you can't do it. You are in control, you just tell yourself that you're not as an excuse.

They really do whisper though. They bother me until they are gone. I keep thinking about them if they are here, no matter how I try to distract myself. Sad but true. But I agree with the poster above. And with you. I need to learn this sooner or later. Try and try again until I finally get it right.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I agree. ETA unless the alarm was to help with medical reminders (e.g. need to eat every x hours for blood sugar levels), I don't see this as being something you can keep up long term.

I'd also note that it's important to figure out what prompts things like mindless eating or binging on high calorie foods. FOr me mindless eating related to a) probably not drinking enough water, and b) not eating large enough meals. I do not snack, unless I'm just eating an entire meal spaced out over a few hours. But at that point I still am full from what I was eating earlier. But for a while there I wouldn't even do that... now I can do it easily and not feel that I want to eat more based on hunger unless my meal overall isn't enough calories (e.g. log a 300 calorie meal and eating it over 2 hours doesn't work, log a 600 calorie meal eaten over 2 hours does work). I'd also set my meals as x calories each, 3x a day, so that I'd stick to this. Like your alarm, this is not something that I could keep up long term and I now naturally eat more during the latter part of the day which enables me to "graze" throughout the evening if I desire.

And binging on high calorie foods was due to me labeling food as food or bad. Food is just food, nothing is forbidden, and because of that I keep a lot of "junk" in the house that takes months to eat. I have chocolate left over from christmas, and some chocolate from even before then that I never ate. And I have some cinnamon buns and donuts and maybe a few muffins in my freezer from last year left. And I bought 2 small bags of jelly belliesa few weeks ago, I have half of the entire purchase left if not more.Knowing that I can eat it whenever I want means that I can just eat it whenever I crave it and not worry about how much I'm eating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

They really do whisper though. They bother me until they are gone. I keep thinking about them if they are here, no matter how I try to distract myself. Sad but true. But I agree with the poster above. And with you. I need to learn this sooner or later. Try and try again until I finally get it right.

No, they don't.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I can't even do sweets moderation... I have no self control. I just had to eliminate all sweets from my diet. If we have candy in our house and i even have 1... consider the bag gone because I will eat the rest.

If you find anything that helps you eat sweets in moderation please tell me. I would love to be able to eat sweets.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think the only buying it out of the house in single servings is a good plan to be honest. The closest I've got to moderation with boxes of chocolate that I get as gifts is to make it last 3 days rather than 1 :p
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I did the alarm thing too. Worked great! I don't use it now except for the days I notice I'm not drinking enough water. Moderation is a hard one to learn. If it turns out that you aren't ready for it, no worries, eventually you will be. I am able to moderate a lot of things that I couldn't before. However, bread is still my downfall so I just simply avoid it. For now. I'll work it back in, but not until I KNOW I'm ready to battle the trigger that it is. Whatever happened with the stuff your dad brought home?

I gave them to my neighbor lady. Should have kept them. Now I have to buy new ones for this experiment. Lol
  • ana3067
    Options

Pre-logging doesn't mean "this is what I'm eating, no wiggle room." It's just to help you plan things out. I do not pre-log outside of like... a few hours ahead of time or if I am gonna have a high calorie day (e.g. parties). But if I did pre-log something and I decided I wanted to eat something else instead then I'd just switch things out to include what I wanted.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I agree. ETA unless the alarm was to help with medical reminders (e.g. need to eat every x hours for blood sugar levels), I don't see this as being something you can keep up long term.

I'd also note that it's important to figure out what prompts things like mindless eating or binging on high calorie foods. FOr me mindless eating related to a) probably not drinking enough water, and b) not eating large enough meals. I do not snack, unless I'm just eating an entire meal spaced out over a few hours. But at that point I still am full from what I was eating earlier. But for a while there I wouldn't even do that... now I can do it easily and not feel that I want to eat more based on hunger unless my meal overall isn't enough calories (e.g. log a 300 calorie meal and eating it over 2 hours doesn't work, log a 600 calorie meal eaten over 2 hours does work). I'd also set my meals as x calories each, 3x a day, so that I'd stick to this. Like your alarm, this is not something that I could keep up long term and I now naturally eat more during the latter part of the day which enables me to "graze" throughout the evening if I desire.

And binging on high calorie foods was due to me labeling food as food or bad. Food is just food, nothing is forbidden, and because of that I keep a lot of "junk" in the house that takes months to eat. I have chocolate left over from christmas, and some chocolate from even before then that I never ate. And I have some cinnamon buns and donuts and maybe a few muffins in my freezer from last year left. And I bought 2 small bags of jelly belliesa few weeks ago, I have half of the entire purchase left if not more.Knowing that I can eat it whenever I want means that I can just eat it whenever I crave it and not worry about how much I'm eating.

Wow you've clearly got the moderation thing down! Yeah I don't usually eat out of hunger or thirst. My meals are pretty huge because I love bulking them up with vegetables and stuff. So a 400 calorie meal ends up being an oversized plate of food that's actually enough (volume wise) for 2. I think mine might be out of boredom. Or just because it bothers me and I can't stop thinking about it.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You will have people tell you that it's all about willpower, grow up, hold yourself accountable etc...but they forget that everyone is different. I have learned what my triggers are and I do my absolute best to keep a tight rein on them because for some of them, I haven't learned moderation with them yet. The key word is "yet". If you do this experiment, be ready to get rid of the stuff if it turns into your personal dieting nightmare. Your idea of having to go out and get a single serving of whatever you're craving was such a good one, that I've adopted it. It makes great sense. Keep up your determination and don't let anyone get in your way. It's your body, your life, and you don't need to please or get approval from anyone. :)
  • ana3067
    Options

Wow you've clearly got the moderation thing down! Yeah I don't usually eat out of hunger or thirst. My meals are pretty huge because I love bulking them up with vegetables and stuff. So a 400 calorie meal ends up being an oversized plate of food that's actually enough (volume wise) for 2. I think mine might be out of boredom. Or just because it bothers me and I can't stop thinking about it.

A 400 calorie meal, even if consisting of a lot of low-calorie foods, would unlikely be enough of a meal for 2 people by my books. Huge meals are subjective. I ate a pot of soup that took ~1hr to eat, but I'd not consider it a meal for two despite being ~800 calories. It was just a big serving for my evening calorie needs, with about 4 cups of liquid and plenty of veggies, noodle, and chicken.

What is the boredom causing, eating without thinking about your consumption or binging on high-calorie foods? If you're bored and just want to have something to do with your mouth, you might do better eating small amounts of food throughout the day, e.g. every few hours.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Your idea of having to go out and get a single serving of whatever you're craving was such a good one, that I've adopted it. It makes great sense. Keep up your determination and don't let anyone get in your way. It's your body, your life, and you don't need to please or get approval from anyone. :)

Wow thanks. I'm humbled that you decided to adopt my idea. ;) it is actually a form of moderation in my opinion.

But I'm always jealous of the people on here that can keep the stuff in the house and not be bothered by it. My sister is also like that, and I've been trying this honestly for like 2 years without much success.

The interesting part is, it only really bothers me when I'm alone. When I'm around people, I can moderate it just fine! :confused:

• ana3067
    Options
    I can't even do sweets moderation... I have no self control. I just had to eliminate all sweets from my diet. If we have candy in our house and i even have 1... consider the bag gone because I will eat the rest.

If you find anything that helps you eat sweets in moderation please tell me. I would love to be able to eat sweets.

Log however much you want that fits into your caloric needs, eat it. Restricting its availability and frequency is unlikely to be beneficial. This is waht caused me to eat 3 bars of 3-4 boxes of chocolate in a single day.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options

A 400 calorie meal, even if consisting of a lot of low-calorie foods, would unlikely be enough of a meal for 2 people by my books. Huge meals are subjective. I ate a pot of soup that took ~1hr to eat, but I'd not consider it a meal for two despite being ~800 calories. It was just a big serving for my evening calorie needs, with about 4 cups of liquid and plenty of veggies, noodle, and chicken.

What is the boredom causing, eating without thinking about your consumption or binging on high-calorie foods? If you're bored and just want to have something to do with your mouth, you might do better eating small amounts of food throughout the day, e.g. every few hours.

The boredom makes me think about food. Usually when I think about it there's a compulsion to eat it. Particularly sweet stuff, but also normal food.

Like I mentioned above, I only seem to have this problem when I'm alone, not when I'm around people. Which is what led me to believe its boredom.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,033 Member
    Options
    I've been trying this recently too. For me, it seems to depend on the food. Certain things (e.g., French fries, grilled cheese) scare me; I'm not ready to go there yet.

I've been successful measuring/eating a quarter cup of Chex Mix. According to the package, a serving is 1/2 cup, but 1/4 was enough for me yesterday. I've also been successful with York Peppermint Patties. However, I gave my mother a box of Russell Stover's Nuts, Chews, and Crisps Assortment for Valentine's Day, and I know I would not have been able to control myself if I had tried those.

Also, I think (for me, for now) a key is to make sure I'm not really hungry if I'm going to eat one of my "temptation" foods. If I feel like I'm starving, I think I'll have trouble.

Good luck!