"Clean" eating vs. Moderation- what works for you?

Options
In the past 5 years or so, I have really noticed what seems to be an enormous shift in what is considered the "ideal" diet. So much emphasis is now placed on eating only whole, unprocessed foods, no added sugar, nothing artificial, ditch "white" carbs, etc. Paleo this, Whole 30 that, don't eat gluten, don't eat bread, etc. I totally get that nutrition and weight loss are two totally different things. What I am curious about is how are "real" people who are currently *successfully* losing weight actually eating? Do you have the occasional bowl of sugar cereal if it fits into your calorie allowance, or are your 1200 calories (or whatever your number is) strictly filled with vegetables, nuts, and organic chicken breasts? I want to know what REALLY works for you, not just what is "ideal".

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For weight loss? Eating at a caloric deficit.
    For deficit adherence and general happiness? Moderation. Which involves moderating ALL food.

Restricting (i.e. eating clean) leads to poor caloric choices for me (binging).
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This comes up a lot, and it never ends well.

Most of the successful people on the site had success learning how to fit the foods that they love into their calorie/macro goals. Once you hit your protein/fat goals, and you have calories leftover, eat a bowl of ice cream or a candy bar if you want. Or some Doritos. Or have a beer. There is no harm in fitting "junk" food (which is in quotations because there really is no junk food, all food is energy and fuel for your body) into an otherwise healthy diet.

Then you get the people who will fight to the death to tell you that eating "clean" is the only way. But they then tell you not to pay attention to the pina coladas in their diary, or that brownie they had yesterday because they had a bad day. When in reality they are practicing moderation as well, but for some reason having that label of "clean eating" makes them feel better about themselves.

I'm personally a member of the former group, and I've lost 6 pounds since January.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of veggies and fruit but I also eat a lot of red meat and Noosa yogurt and high fat cottage cheese so I'm not sure people consider that to be clean eating. And when I eat bread, it's store bought white bread, not whole wheat.
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I eat in moderation. I try to eat From all the food groups. I'm old school like that. I have only been using mfp for 45 days or so, and seem to be losing one pound a week, which is the goal I set for myself. I allow a treat every day. I usually have a square or two of dark chocolate. I tried paleo in the past, and could not stick with it. It was too expensive and restrictive. I know eating clean is very healthy, just not realistic in the long term for me.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I just got done piling homemade brownies into my face (sugar, butter, and white flour), and now I'm working on some popcorn. Today is one of my "screw it" type of days, and I've had a few of those in the last 5-6 months, but I've also lost 30 pounds. Sometimes I have Oreos, and sometimes I have Fritos with my homemade chili. Other times I have a Fiber One 90 calorie brownie and homemade cornbread measured and logged all proper like.

I'm eating in a realistic way I can handle eating my whole life. I have ups and downs and I'm learning to recover from weekends like this without beating myself up about it. That both works and is ideal, because if I tried to do something that isn't sustainable for the long run I'd end right back where I was when I started in September.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If I ate completely clean based on what I think the definition is of it, I would get full on too few calories and would result in being dangerously underweight. I basically have to eat bread and other such high carb foods. For dieting, yes, I think it's easier to lose weight on it, although, not necessary. For maintaining, I can't do it. I will continue to lose too much weight and die. I'm currently maintaining. I need to avoid things like pasta though. I will overeat on it and gain. Other things like bread or those high sugary yogurts, I'm fine eating to maintain. I guess that counts as moderation for maintaining.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Reasonably clean eating really does work for me--but that's not a weight-loss issue, it's just how I want to live and what I want to do for long-term health. I will occasionally have slightly unclean indulgences (wine, chocolate, bread, maybe a piece of cake once or twice a year) with a lot of moderation.

I've always been a clean eater though, so it isn't a sacrifice and I am not depriving myself. I don't want/crave junk food. I've never had Lucky Charms and I'm not going to start now.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Yes i will have a bowl of lucky charms when i want it. 78 lbs lost.

I think there are just a lot more platforms for any schmo to preach their nonsense from than there used to be. Free platforms at that, no permit required or anything.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Personally I go for something similar to 80/20.
    I eat 'clean' for a week and a half or so and then allow myself a cheat meal (or day.. depending if it's an occasion).

Although I can completely understand why IIFYM works for some, for me. When I want something as a treat, I want just that.. a treat, something I don't have very often and I let myself enjoy as much of it as I like.
    Having a couple of slices of pizza here or there does nothing for me, I'd rather eat lots of foods that are dense in the macro nutrients I need to complete the exercises I do on a daily basis and then have a day of enjoyment to look forward to!

Food is more than a fuel to me, I'm a foodie and I think given that I do intense exercise and consider myself to be in pretty good shape, whatever I'm doing must work pretty well for my body!

If IIFYM makes this lifestyle easier for you then I highly encourage it but for me, 80/20 (or something along those lines) works so much more for my lifestyle!

All the best,
    Adam
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Yeah eating 'clean' takes on some pretty vague definitions here but for the most part I do my best to make 'better' choices that include more veggies/fruits, less sugar and salt, whole foods, brown instead of white..the usual suspects.
    For me most of my decisions however are based on calories and not someones definition of 'clean'. I avoid pop because I think its a waste of calories. I avoid bacon because I can have twice as much ham for the same caloric punch. Nothing against fat, sugar but my fav. foods tend to be nutritionally dense, and protein is about the only thing I try to ensure I get enough of.
    I am far from 'perfect' and the good thing is with moderation....you don't have to be.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Yeah eating 'clean' takes on some pretty vague definitions here but for the most part I do my best to make 'better' choices that include more veggies/fruits, less sugar and salt, whole foods, brown instead of white..the usual suspects.
    For me most of my decisions however are based on calories and not someones definition of 'clean'. I avoid pop because I think its a waste of calories. I avoid bacon because I can have twice as much ham for the same caloric punch. Nothing against fat, sugar but my fav. foods tend to be nutritionally dense, and protein is about the only thing I try to ensure I get enough of.
    I am far from 'perfect' and the good thing is with moderation....you don't have to be.

my 2 slices of center cut bacon only has 47 calories. see no point in avoiding that.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I generally try to eat more nutritionally balanced food but I still eat pizza etc Sunday I had bacon and egg mcmuffins for breakfast.

This reminds me of a joke, went something like this.

A man goes to visit his doctor for a check up.
    He asks his doctor if he will live to 90.
    The doctor says he will have to ask a few question to help with the prediction.
    Doctor: do you drink alchol?
    Patient: no
    D: do you smoke?
    P: never
    D: do you....(doctor goes through a checklist)
    P: no...(patient answers no to all)
    Doctor: then why the hell would you want to live to 90.

I admit I'm my the best at remembering or telling jokes but i hope you get the idea. What is the point if your not going to do something that's bad for you, tastes good, feels good? Every now and then.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

my 2 slices of center cut bacon only has 47 calories. see no point in avoiding that.

No I agree that isn't bad at all. I think gold is cheaper by the ounce here though!
  • Mapes84
    Mapes84 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! It's interesting and somewhat reassuring that "all things in moderation" seems to be predominant and successful for many. I feel like to a degree my social circle and where I live are not representative of reality. This year (50 days and counting) I have tried very hard to eat "cleaner" (meaningless word, I know) than I ever have before, and not only am I completely miserable, but it isn't working. I am not losing weight. I think in seeking out "optimal nutrition," I am adding many unnecessary calories. i.e. I used to eat sandwich thin bread slices @ 45 calories apiece- switched to sprouted wheat, @ 80 calories apiece. Because it's "healthier". This is just a small example. I'm eating more calories and deriving less enjoyment. I think I need to tweak some things- and lighten up a little- to find a way to be successful that's also sustainable.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Mapes84 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the feedback! It's interesting and somewhat reassuring that "all things in moderation" seems to be predominant and successful for many. I feel like to a degree my social circle and where I live are not representative of reality. This year (50 days and counting) I have tried very hard to eat "cleaner" (meaningless word, I know) than I ever have before, and not only am I completely miserable, but it isn't working. I am not losing weight. I think in seeking out "optimal nutrition," I am adding many unnecessary calories. i.e. I used to eat sandwich thin bread slices @ 45 calories apiece- switched to sprouted wheat, @ 80 calories apiece. Because it's "healthier". This is just a small example. I'm eating more calories and deriving less enjoyment. I think I need to tweak some things- and lighten up a little- to find a way to be successful that's also sustainable.

It's all ultimately about finding a balance that works for you, what works for others may not always follow suit!
    It's great to see different ways that people adapt the lifestyle though, right??

It is a lifelong commitment and if done in a way comfortable for you, there is no reason it can't be a completely enjoyable and satisfying one!

All the best!

Adam
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat things in moderation. I'm currently enjoying a cup of hot chocolate! What I have noticed since I started being healthier and losing weight that I crave much less junk, making it easier to eat cleaner.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Mapes84 wrote: »

This is definitely understandable and many people do not realize that eating "clean" =/= weight loss. You can definitely gain weight eating nothing but whole foods and end up obese and unhealthy as a result. Remember that mental health is important, too, and finding a good balance while still enjoying the foods you love will boost your mental health and keep you sane. You can still be just as healthy by practicing moderation.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I don't think this subject will ever die. Put me in the group that says you can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits into your diary. I lost 61 pounds this way, and still doing it in maintenance.
This discussion has been closed.