Any CrossFit fans?

I'm new to CrossFit and enjoying most days so far. What are your likes/dislikes about it? Any suggestions for people who are still new?

Replies

• Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Hey Gina, we have a group you might be interested in :) You'll probably get more of a response from CrossFit people there: a safe place to enjoy and discuss the sport without the usual backlash.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/99-crossfit-love
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    I did Crossfit last year and really liked it. I'm a runner so I was looking for something to change up my routine, get me ready for a triathlon and help me run faster. It was one of the hardest things I've done but when I walked out I felt so strong. I've not done it since but find myself doing some of the same moves when I strength train. It is hard stuff but personally I thought it was a great addition to what I was already doing. Yes there are a lot of haters out there that will slam CF any chance they get but I'm a long distance runner so I'm used to putting up idiots :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I added crossfit to my program to complement my strength training and SLD (Slow long distance) training. As a result, I’m working to improve stamina, mobility, balance and speed. The good thing about crossfit is the focus on all modalities of fitness (except maybe long endurance, which is hard to do in an hour session).

Three things to consider when doing crossfit:
    - Find a good box that teaches as much as it pushes (a good foundations class, attentive coaches, scaled workouts).
    - Know yourself and only push yourself up to your limit and then back off. Over time, you’ll see improvement and avoid injuries. Ask people who have injuries in crossfit and they can usually trace it back to ego.
    - Have some goals going in and regularly re-assess.

Crossfit is about fitness (not weight loss). You may lose weight as the result, but that’s not what it was designed for.

And come on over to crossfit love. It is a very supportive group.
  • kimkilbride
    kimkilbride Posts: 11 Member
    I am not a Crossfit fan, I am a addict!
    Great advice on Crossfit. It is all about fitness and I think weight loss and definition (in needed) is achievable. It is obviously mostly diet for the weight loss but building muscle does not hurt that at all!
    Know your limit is a good one. Most injuries happen when you are trying way too hard! Yes, Crossfit is competitive but you are mainly competing against yourself, trying to be better than last time. Keep that in mind!
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    I use Crossfit as cross-training for other sports I do and I love it. It can be addictive and I have to really keep myself in check to avoid overtraining.

#1 pet peeve: I have had to get rid of a lot of dress shirts because my shoulders/biceps grew real big real fast. People complain about Crossfit booty but to me, Crossfit arms are way worse.