Juicing

Options
124»

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ekg0328 wrote: »
    I juice pretty regularly - I'm actually doing a 2-day detox now. A gallon of this juice per day, and no chew-able food. I will drop a couple of pounds while I'm just drinking juice, but obviously I'll gain it all back! I like to do things like this as a reset so I'm more aware of what I'm putting into my body afterward. After this, I'm transitioning for 2-3 days of just raw foods - fruit, veggies, seeds & nuts, and then I'll go back to clean eating.

What toxins is your juice getting rid of that your kidneys/liver can't handle?

This is not necessary.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Disagree all you like but it is what I have been taught by gym instructors,etc people who know a lot about nutrition. I'm not claiming to be an expert just thought if some people who are struggling saw it might of tried to replace it. My first day on here all I wanted was a bit of advice

Take a nutrition class and you will understand what you want to claim to be healthier and what people tell you is different.

"People who know a lot about nutrition." What does that mean to anyone?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Disagree all you like but it is what I have been taught by gym instructors,etc people who know a lot about nutrition. I'm not claiming to be an expert just thought if some people who are struggling saw it might of tried to replace it. My first day on here all I wanted was a bit of advice

And you're getting advice, and scientific fact

The best piece of advice I ever got was to throw away everything I though I knew about dieting: every single fact I'd been told by friends and so-called experts and read in papers. To only believe that which can be proven scientifically. You'd do well if you opened your mind to the possibility that you do not know what you think you know and don't take any dieting hocus-pocus as a given

Or not

Meh! Up to you!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I juice pretty regularly - I'm actually doing a 2-day detox now. A gallon of this juice per day, and no chew-able food. I will drop a couple of pounds while I'm just drinking juice, but obviously I'll gain it all back! I like to do things like this as a reset so I'm more aware of what I'm putting into my body afterward. After this, I'm transitioning for 2-3 days of just raw foods - fruit, veggies, seeds & nuts, and then I'll go back to clean eating.

Detox from what? Name one toxin you are getting rid of.

"Gym instructors" are not experts at all. Advice? Stop listening to people who just preach pseudoscience.

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Why cut out anything? Look up flexible dieting
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    What are you resetting?

In all honesty, mostly just my mindset. It's not a yo-yo lifestyle - I'm generally pretty healthy, but sometimes I lose track and don't feel good in my own body. Once I take the time and energy to do a cleanse, I'll be more aware of how I feel and what I'm eating.

It's personal for me, I've never had a weight problem and I really don't struggle with body image issues, it's just about how I feel. I feel more energetic when I eat clean, but I get off track every once in a while when life happens, and I want to get back on track.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    What are you resetting?

In all honesty, mostly just my mindset. It's not a yo-yo lifestyle - I'm generally pretty healthy, but sometimes I lose track and don't feel good in my own body. Once I take the time and energy to do a cleanse, I'll be more aware of how I feel and what I'm eating.

It's personal for me, I've never had a weight problem and I really don't struggle with body image issues, it's just about how I feel. I feel more energetic when I eat clean, but I get off track every once in a while when life happens, and I want to get back on track.

Detox diets and resets are the epitome of yo-yo dieting.

A two-day juice diet is not going to help you change your mindset long-term.
  • ekg0328
    Options

This is not necessary.

But I want to do it, so I'm doing it. And it makes me feel better. Everyone handles food differently - I just know how I feel, you guys do whatever you want.

And the juice that I buy by the gallon is called the 2-Day Detox, so it's not necessarily that I'm detoxing anything - it's branding.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    What are you resetting?

So you juice for life stress Like how I lift weights for the same cause. It works for your mental state I guess.
  • yopeeps025
    edited February 2015
    Options

This is not necessary.

But I want to do it, so I'm doing it. And it makes me feel better. Everyone handles food differently - I just know how I feel, you guys do whatever you want.

And the juice that I buy by the gallon is called the 2-Day Detox, so it's not necessarily that I'm detoxing anything - it's branding.

Oh sounds like a waste of money now.
  • ekg0328
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

So you juice for life stress Like how I lift weights for the same cause. It works for your mental state I guess.

Exactly! You can control how you feel, and I know I feel like crap if I spend a weekend eating poorly and drinking alcohol. I just don't want to feel that way - this "detox" (using quotes so as not to upset anyone) is a bookend. See you later, crappy gross weekend, I'm ready to get it out of my system mentally and start fresh.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Gym instructors have no degrees in nutrition.

Agreed- if you want advice on nutrition seek out a registered Dietitian. Even most PCP's don't have a vast understanding of nutrition.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

This is not necessary.

If it helps you, great. I don't personally feel that nothing but juice for two days (or 3 or 10 or whatever) is healthy or necessary. It also does nothing to "detox" or reset your body or your metabolism in any way, and claiming that it does can derail people who don't know any better.
  • ekg0328
    Options

If it helps you, great. I don't personally feel that nothing but juice for two days (or 3 or 10 or whatever) is healthy or necessary. It also does nothing to "detox" or reset your body or your metabolism in any way, and claiming that it does can derail people who don't know any better.

I can appreciate that. I'm not telling anyone what's healthy, I'm just saying what makes me feel good. I promise that nothing I say will ever be supported by science, because I'm not a scientist, but I like trying different things and doing what sticks. I've got another day and a half to go, so I'm going to keep at it and then I'll go back to my usual clean eating until I feel the need to understand my personal life priorities and maybe adjust my attitude toward food again in a few months.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Many, in fact most, do not realize there is a difference in calorie potential and calories absorbed.

Think for a minute about fuel efficiency of cars. Cars get more miles per gallon than years ago. Has the fuel improved? In fact the fuel has gotten worse. The difference is that cars are more efficient at turning the fuel potential output into actual output.

The human body works the same way. I eat one carrot, my body may absorb ten calories, your body may absorb nine, someone else may absorb eleven. It has to do with efficiency of each persons system.

All foods have fuel (calorie) potential but the body does not absorb all that fuel (calories) due to inefficiency. A smoothie is in a way predigested which increases the possibility of more absorption.

That is also how fiber helps us. If you consume a potential 10 calories with fiber, your body will likely absorb less calories than if you consume 10 calories without fiber. That is the downfall of juicing and also of highly processed foods. The fiber is removed which makes the calorie potential more easily absorbed.

Thanks for that insight!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I can appreciate that. I'm not telling anyone what's healthy, I'm just saying what makes me feel good. I promise that nothing I say will ever be supported by science, because I'm not a scientist, but I like trying different things and doing what sticks. I've got another day and a half to go, so I'm going to keep at it and then I'll go back to my usual clean eating until I feel the need to understand my personal life priorities and maybe adjust my attitude toward food again in a few months.

hmm does not look like a good relationship with food.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Well I hope you find success, good luck to you.

And you don't have to be a scientist for science to work for you! :flowerforyou:
  • ekg0328
    edited February 2015
    Options

I love food. I just allow myself to love it a little too much when I'm stressed out or overwhelmed.

I'm going to get out of this discussion, because I'm not really open to hearing anyone's arguments against what I do to my own body. It's a weird dynamic we've got going here ...

Have a good one, folks!
  • yopeeps025
    edited February 2015
    Options

I love food. I just allow myself to love it a little too much when I'm stressed out or overwhelmed.

I'm going to get out of this discussion, because I'm not really open to hearing anyone's arguments against what I do to my own body. It's a weird dynamic we've got going here ...

Have a good one, folks!

Well at least you know where you struggle and can work on. Your not the only emotional eater and there are plenty who had conquer this issue. Also many who still battle it everyday.