Surgery :(

Options
I have to have foot surgery on April 3rd that will leave me out of commission for approx. 3 weeks!

I do pilates every day and twice a day on the weekends and I'm afraid that 3 weeks of minimal activity will set me backwards. I've lost about 60 pounds so far.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to ensure I won't put back on the weight that I tried so hard to lose? Keep in mind that I will pretty much be off my feet, I won't be able to drive or anything :(

Replies

• cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    As long as you're focusing on your eating I think you'll be okay with your weight loss - I know people who have lost lots of weight with just calorie restriction alone!
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Eat less and look into chair exercises you can do while you recover, with your doctor's blessing of course.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Focus on eating instead of exercise after surgery. Weight loss needs to be taken off the table while you heal. Here is a PDF I found that explains the basics. Esp. focus on your protein. It is necessary for healing.

http://www.hss.edu/files/Nutrition_for_Healing.pdf
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm hoping by my surgery I'll be already switching into maintenance (I have just a few pounds before goal).
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You are undergoing for surgery so my advice would be to have proper diet & protein rich foods, minimal carbs & high fiber.
    It will help you keep your weight in plateau phase & good recovery post op
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Post-surgery, recovery is the most important thing. I would still track but switch to maintenance cals, rather than weight-loss cals. Obviously you won't be able to log any exercise, but you can still eat the basic daily cals. Remember to also change your base activity level to 'sedentary' if need be.

After a few weeks, if any weight is creeping back on, you could adjust your cals down slightly, but see how it goes.

Go easy on yourself when you do get back to the gym. I had a medically-enforced absence from exercise last year and it's frustrating when you restart as you do lose a bit of fitness. Don't beat yourself up if you find classes harder than you are now - you'll get your fitness back again. :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I'm already trying to figure out what my maintenance calories will be and I'm a little nervous of going over and gaining weight :(

I'm also concerned about eating out of bordum...I'll have to make sure I have only healthy snacks in the house
  • pinkteapot3
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'd trust the app... I lost 42lbs a few years back and maintained for three years. The daily goal it gave me for maintenance was about right - just set your target to "keep weight the same" and give it a go for a couple of weeks.

Boredom eating is the tough one - I failed miserably when I had medical treatment last year and put 16lbs back on, which is why I'm back on weight-loss cals now, d'oh.

Do you have any indoor hobbies you like that are really absorbing? Crafts, jigsaws, reading, anything like that? Daytime TV does make you eat because it's so boring!

The good news is that you have done amazingly so far - 60lbs is fab and it's simply impossible to put all that back on in three weeks. :smiley: Don't be too hard on yourself if you regain a few lbs - it'll only take a couple of weeks to lose them again once you're back on your feet. :smile:
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I'd trust the app... I lost 42lbs a few years back and maintained for three years. The daily goal it gave me for maintenance was about right - just set your target to "keep weight the same".

Boredom eating is the tough one - I failed miserably when I had medical treatment last year and put 16lbs back on, which is why I'm back on weight-loss cals now, d'oh.

Do you have any indoor hobbies you like that are really absorbing? Crafts, jigsaws, reading, anything like that? Daytime TV does make you eat. :

Actually I knit lololol I already stocked up on some new patterns, yarn and needles so hopefully that will keep me out of the kitchen while I'm out of work on disability

• SwankyTomato
    Options
    I'm already trying to figure out what my maintenance calories will be and I'm a little nervous of going over and gaining weight :(

I'm also concerned about eating out of bordum...I'll have to make sure I have only healthy snacks in the house

Actually you are not supposed to eat at maintenance post surgery.

You need to increase your caloric intake. Multiply your weight by a minimum of 15 and that is your caloric intake you NEED daily.

Healing takes calories. You need those calories to heal faster. If you restrict calories post surgery you are not going to heal properly.

• pinkteapot3
    Options
    That's really interesting and a good tip - apologies for my incorrect info above... But should that read "multiply your weight by 1.5" rather than 15?
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    Here's my suggestion. They'll give you pain medication, probably with codeine.
    Drinks LOTS of water and eat a fair amount of fiber. They, at least for me, are an appetite suppressant anyway. But the big thing is that codeine will stop you up like nobody's business.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    FWIW, I was lifting 3-4 time a week and doing Zumba on alternate days when I fell and broke my ankle. I was worried about the same thing. I ended up dropping about seven pounds during recuperation. (Granted, I'm pretty sure a chunk of that was muscle...)

Because I wasn't moving like I usually did, I really didn't have a huge appetite, so I wasn't eating nearly as much as I did before I fell. (Also, there were some pretty good pain meds initially, so I slept instead of eating :wink: )

I'm still trying to work through a lot of the soreness and get into a regular routine, as it seems even a little "over-use" sets me back.

Just remember to take care of yourself, follow doc's instructions, and don't stress yourself out about what you aren't doing. Focus on what you ARE doing, and that is healing. :smile:

ETA: Good luck and get better soon!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    AshC1023 wrote: »
    Here's my suggestion. They'll give you pain medication, probably with codeine.Drinks LOTS of water and eat a fair amount of fiber. They, at least for me, are an appetite suppressant anyway. But the big thing is that codeine will stop you up like nobody's business.

God I hope so!!!! hahahahaha
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    weight loss comes from a deficit- no exercise required.
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have to have foot surgery on April 3rd that will leave me out of commission for approx. 3 weeks!

I do pilates every day and twice a day on the weekends and I'm afraid that 3 weeks of minimal activity will set me backwards. I've lost about 60 pounds so far.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to ensure I won't put back on the weight that I tried so hard to lose? Keep in mind that I will pretty much be off my feet, I won't be able to drive or anything :(

What surgery are you having & what's it for .
    Would you like to share with us.
  • SwankyTomato
    Options
    That's really interesting and a good tip - apologies for my incorrect info above... But should that read "multiply your weight by 1.5" rather than 15?

Multiply your current weight by a minimum of 15, max. 20 to get your daily caloric intake for healing. YEP. :o

I know it sucks to have to change it up however when you have major surgery focus should be on healing properly and quickly. That requires calories.

For the pain meds, take stool softners!!! Nothing worse than constipation as you heal.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I had foot surgery 3 years ago and had to spend 3 weeks in bed with my foot elevated just about 24/7. I didn't gain any weight.

I have a BodyMedia Fit, so I could see my daily calorie burn (actually, more like lack of burn). I had lots of low cal foods portioned out, and after my oatmeal breakfast I'd fill a small cooler every morning and have it in the bedroom with me. Fruit, raw vegetables, sugar free Jello, small salad with turkey, maybe a little popcorn or a Quest bar. Then some baked chicken and a vegetable for dinner. Not very exciting, but it worked.

It's all calories in, calories out.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

You need to increase your caloric intake. Multiply your weight by a minimum of 15 and that is your caloric intake you NEED daily.

Healing takes calories. You need those calories to heal faster. If you restrict calories post surgery you are not going to heal properly.

With major surgery, yes. Foot surgery, not so much. It is important to keep your protien up, but she's not going to need a caloric surplus.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Truth.

I just had fairly major surgery (I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op) and it is not the appropriate time to diet. Healing is not a passive thing that expends no energy. If you put a couple of pounds back on it's better than extending your healing time. I would take a guess and say that the severity of the surgery would impact how much extra you need to eat - like my laparoscopic surgery isn't nearly as invasive as an open surgery, so the incisions in my abdominal wall are far smaller and my healing time is shorter.

Just give your body the time to heal so you don't hurt yourself.