Can you reccommend a good book for me?

Options
Lochlyn_D
Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
I am an avid reader. I read 5 - 10 books a month. Recently, I have found myself out of good ones. I have gone through so many lately that I was bored out of by chapter two.

I love the classics, though I have probably read most of the more popular ones.
I like almost anything about Ancient Rome.
I do not like teenage centric books or romance novels ( I mean solely romance, I don't mind a good love story but that can't be all there is)

Replies

• Lochlyn_D
    Options
    I should mention I love Joseph Conrad and Margaret Atwood. I think I have read all of their works but I'm open to anything similar.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Do you like philosophy or anything like that? I have a really good philosophy book, but it's kind of hard to get through. If you're willing to take the chance, I'll give you the title.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Microserfs by Douglas Coupland is really good.
  • Leigh0885
    Leigh0885 Posts: 1
    Options
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Anything by James Patterson or Jodi Picoult ( My sister's Keeper, 19 minutes) Some of my favorites
  • runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    http://www.goodreads.com/
    http://www.whoelsewriteslike.com/
    These are good sites to help you find new books.

Also, I really like The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I'm not much for books like this but you should definitely check out Khaled Hosseini's "A Thousand Splendid Suns." He writes about life in Afghanistan through the eyes of the younger generation (typically children/teenagers who grow into adults as the book progresses). It's most definitely not a romance book and while it does include teenage characters, it's such a different culture that it is -- in no way -- a young adult book. I would never have even given it a chance if it wasn't a required book in one of my classes. I thoroughly enjoyed it and ended up reading his first book ("The Kite Runner") which I found was still very good, but not as good as "A Thousand Splendid Suns." Look it up on Amazon for a preview inside the book and see what you think! :-)
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    Microserfs by Douglas Coupland is really good.

Looks interesting. Kind of 1984-ish. I'll be checking this one out for sure.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    I'm not much for books like this but you should definitely check out Khaled Hosseini's "A Thousand Splendid Suns." He writes about life in Afghanistan through the eyes of the younger generation (typically children/teenagers who grow into adults as the book progresses). It's most definitely not a romance book and while it does include teenage characters, it's such a different culture that it is -- in no way -- a young adult book. I would never have even given it a chance if it wasn't a required book in one of my classes. I thoroughly enjoyed it and ended up reading his first book ("The Kite Runner") which I found was still very good, but not as good as "A Thousand Splendid Suns." Look it up on Amazon for a preview inside the book and see what you think! :-)

Read the Kite Runner. Didn't like it much. I don't think I'll be giving this writer another chance. thanks though.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    http://www.goodreads.com/
    http://www.whoelsewriteslike.com/
    These are good sites to help you find new books.

Also, I really like The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Will look into the Book Thief. Sounds right up my alley.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Anything by James Patterson or Jodi Picoult ( My sister's Keeper, 19 minutes) Some of my favorites

A bit too mass market for me but thanks.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    Do you like philosophy or anything like that? I have a really good philosophy book, but it's kind of hard to get through. If you're willing to take the chance, I'll give you the title.

I've been known to dabble. What do you have?
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Anything by Zygmunt Bauman
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    7 habits for highly effective teens by Sean Covey :P
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bump my reading has hit a dry spell
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Cat in the Hat
  • meeper123
    Options
    I liked warm bodies it was suprisingly well written
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    "The End of Oil" Illustrates how this world will always be dependent on fossil fuels.
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You said you enjoy the classics so my recommendations if you haven't already read them are any of Charles ****ens and Jane Austen novels. Those are some of my favorites. :)
  • meeper123
    Options
    The picture of dorian grey by oscar wilde is my all time fav.