• ironbutterf1y
    Options
    Bump
  • Fancydud
    Fancydud Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The Sisterhood -- Helen Bryan
    We Need to Talk about Kevin -- Lionel Shriver
    On Hallowed Ground, The story of Arlington National Cemetery --Robert M. Poole
    Elizabeth Street -- Elizabeth Fabiano
  • Fancydud
    Fancydud Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot, Fifty Shades of Grey--HAHA
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Wool (Wool Omnibus) Silo Saga By Hugh Howley

Post apocalyptic society sci-fi reading. Easy and fast read. There are 8 books so far.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill. I just started it and it's pretty cool.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    If you like classics, I recommend Theodore Dreiser, specifically Sister Carrie or An American Tragedy.

I also find that a reread of anything that Mark Twain put out there is worth it, Shakespeare as well, but that's just me.

If you're a Carlin fan at all, I recommend Last Words.

If you want to trip out a little bit, then try Carlos Castaneda's books, starting with The Teachings of Don Juan.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Oh noooo, not Fifty Shades. worst...book.....ever!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    born to run by Christopher McDougall
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Marquez As well as his book "Chronicle of a Death Foretold"
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    The Walking Drum by Loius L'Amour - Historical fiction set in Europe and the Middle East during the 12th century
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If you like classics, I recommend Theodore Dreiser, specifically Sister Carrie or An American Tragedy.

I also find that a reread of anything that Mark Twain put out there is worth it, Shakespeare as well, but that's just me.

If you're a Carlin fan at all, I recommend Last Words.

If you want to trip out a little bit, then try Carlos Castaneda's books, starting with The Teachings of Don Juan.

I will look into all of these. Great selections. Thanks!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The Walking Drum by Loius L'Amour - Historical fiction set in Europe and the Middle East during the 12th century

Love Louis L'Amour!!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I'm not much for books like this but you should definitely check out Khaled Hosseini's "A Thousand Splendid Suns." He writes about life in Afghanistan through the eyes of the younger generation (typically children/teenagers who grow into adults as the book progresses). It's most definitely not a romance book and while it does include teenage characters, it's such a different culture that it is -- in no way -- a young adult book. I would never have even given it a chance if it wasn't a required book in one of my classes. I thoroughly enjoyed it and ended up reading his first book ("The Kite Runner") which I found was still very good, but not as good as "A Thousand Splendid Suns." Look it up on Amazon for a preview inside the book and see what you think! :-)

I was going to say the SAME THING! There are two of my favorite books! He has just come out with a new book! I purchased it and plan on reading it when I'm on vacation next week!

Did he really? That's great, I'll check it out!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Currently re-reading "Journey to the end of night" by Celine. Enjoyed it the first time and am continuing to do so the second time around :)

"A confederacy of dunces" by Toole was good. Completely unlikeable protagonist. Almost gratingly so, but important to the story and such a great book.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    You said you'd look up "Room," would you be interested in "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold? Forget what you saw in the movie because it does the book no justice whatsoever, but it's very dark and beautifully written. I wish I had more suggestions, though it seems our interests don't cross very well! :laugh:
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bumping for when I'm ready for the next one.

I agree with the PP that mentioned Good Reads...that's a great site.

I've been reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It's far from a romance novel, but there is a love story as a main thread. I'm into book 3 and the story is still great although my pace has slowed because I'm outside more.
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just finished Time Traveler's Wife....it was very well written and had the love story of course but some humor as well...not Teen-ish at all. I LOVED it.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Partrick Rothfuss writes good books. :) Also, I really like Raymond Feist
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You said you'd look up "Room," would you be interested in "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold? Forget what you saw in the movie because it does the book no justice whatsoever, but it's very dark and beautifully written. I wish I had more suggestions, though it seems our interests don't cross very well! :laugh:

I agree; The Lovely Bones was great!
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The Lobotomist, by Jack El-Hai

Sorry, most of my recommendations will be more psychology-based books, since that's what I tend to read.