There is sugar in lowfat milk????????

Options
How is it possible that 1 cup of 2% milk has 12 grams of sugar?? That doesn't make sense!

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It's a sugar called lactose
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Switch to almond water
  • mom2aeg03
    mom2aeg03 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I honestly had no idea that it was in milk!!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's a naturally occurring sugar in milk and other dairy products.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Milk naturally has sugar as noted, lactose.

Human milk has 6.9%--7.2% carbohydrate calculated as lactose. Sugar is great for instant energy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/392766
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond Milk is the best no carb alternative I have found...even non-fat milk has carbs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Um
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power.

That's the big lie about low fat milk. When friends of mine were doing Atkins, they pointed out the protein/fat/sugar ratios in whole milk, lowfat milk and skim milk.

As a general rule, if the food industry takes out something (fat) they replace it with something else (sugar).

For me, higher protein and lower sugar are more important than fat content; your mileage may vary.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power.

That's the big lie about low fat milk. When friends of mine were doing Atkins, they pointed out the protein/fat/sugar ratios in whole milk, lowfat milk and skim milk.

As a general rule, if the food industry takes out something (fat) they replace it with something else (sugar).

For me, higher protein and lower sugar are more important than fat content; your mileage may vary.

They don't add sugar to lowfat milk, there is just a higher percentage due to the removal of fat.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ....That's the big lie about low fat milk. When friends of mine were doing Atkins, they pointed out the protein/fat/sugar ratios in whole milk, lowfat milk and skim milk.

As a general rule, if the food industry takes out something (fat) they replace it with something else (sugar)....

Fail! Lies! Stop spreading misinformation. All milk naturally has sugar. Even human milk, as I posted above. That doesn't mean that OTHER processed products advertised as low-fat don't have sugar added, but milk isn't one of them.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power.

1418387116453.jpg
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    mom2aeg03 wrote: »
    I honestly had no idea that it was in milk!!!

Learning! It's a good thing!

Most milk products have some carbs due to sugar--generally not all that much.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power.

First of all 2% isn't really low fat milk. I have whole milk and skim milk in my fridge, both have 11g of sugar (the only difference is the fat and calorie content).

Milk is made up of sugar called lactose.. People who are lactose intolerant are unable to process milk sugars. Just like fruit is made up of sugar.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wait... if it has sugar... and sugar is addicting... dear god I have hooked my child!

98304e7627e47609b6ea9c768800d87b108362646266913d6640a16b8472e445.jpg
  • mom2aeg03
    Options
    I am learning quite a bit and it's wonderful! I was just surprised by this one. I usually have a cup of milk either with my sugar free hot chocolate or with my oatmeal. It kills me that I am using up 12 grams of my daily allowed sugar right off the bat.

Thank you to everyone for your responses!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ....That's the big lie about low fat milk. When friends of mine were doing Atkins, they pointed out the protein/fat/sugar ratios in whole milk, lowfat milk and skim milk.

Fail! Lies! Stop spreading misinformation. All milk naturally has sugar. Even human milk, as I posted above. That doesn't mean that OTHER processed products advertised as low-fat don't have sugar added, but milk isn't one of them.

As noted elsewhere above, the sugar level is higher because the fat has been removed, which changes the ratios.

I never said sugar was added to milk. I said to check the ratios of protein/fat/sugar.

As a side note, I observed that generally speaking the trade-off of low fat was higher sugar.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    LOL, I always find it funny when people are shocked by the fact that milk is mostly sugar.

Lactose, sucrose, glucose, maltose, dextrose... if it ends in "ose" it's probably a form of sugar.

But, cheer up: Sugar isn't inherently bad for you. Too much sugar is bad for you... but then, too much of anything is bad for you. Milk in general is good and healthy for you and a great source of calcium, vitamins A and D, and protein -- not to mention refreshing and delicious.
  • mom2aeg03
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    LOL, I always find it funny when people are shocked by the fact that milk is mostly sugar.

Lactose, sucrose, glucose, maltose, dextrose... if it ends in "ose" it's probably a form of sugar.

But, cheer up: Sugar isn't inherently bad for you. Too much sugar is bad for you... but then, too much of anything is bad for you. Milk in general is good and healthy for you and a great source of calcium, vitamins A and D, and protein -- not to mention refreshing and delicious.

That's the thing that worries me. I am addicted to sugar. I try VERY hard to eat low sugar. When I realized how much sugar was in milk, I was stunned. But, I guess the fact that I am taking in calcium is good for me. I will just have to remember to watch myself the rest of the day. :(
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How is it possible that 1 cup of 2% milk has 12 grams of sugar?? That doesn't make sense!

That's like asking why an apple has sugar in it.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to sugar.

You can try a 12-step program.