There is sugar in lowfat milk????????

Options

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    nelliepigs wrote: »
    For me, I try and limit added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars such as those contained in milk and fruit. I like milk so I am going to continue to use it as I don't really care for almond/soy/rice types of milk. Most of the nutrition articles you read will tell you to limit added sugars :) I've posted an article about naturally occurring sugars and added sugars below from the American Heart Association. Good luck!

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp

And they are all wrong.

So far today;

38g carbs in 2 crumpets
    26g in my maple syrup
    28g in my 3 bean chili
    13g in a minneola orange
    13g in a key lime greek yogurt

and I have penciled in 29g for my beer this evening.

So we have sucrose, lactose, fructose and maltose..............please point to the one that's bad for me and that I should restrict?

Unless you're diabetic, like some of us are, there's no reason to restrict carbs or sugars. In fact, right up till the beer, you're still okay on carb (but probably not on sugar), since what I've read suggests limiting carbs to 120 grams if you're diabetic. I do eat a lot of no sugar added stuff, but I like my milk, too. I'd rather have my milk or my cheese than a cookie, most of the time. And yes, I'm with you, I don't care for the almond/soy/rice types of milk as I don't get enough protein from them. I got quite light-headed when I tried to use them instead of dairy for the last Lenten fast--I'm and Eastern Orthodox Christian and we're supposed to cut out meat and dairy during Lent. So . . . yeah . . . not doing that any longer.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Knowledge is power.

That's the big lie about low fat milk. When friends of mine were doing Atkins, they pointed out the protein/fat/sugar ratios in whole milk, lowfat milk and skim milk.

As a general rule, if the food industry takes out something (fat) they replace it with something else (sugar).

For me, higher protein and lower sugar are more important than fat content; your mileage may vary.

RVBi3T1.gif
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    For me, I try and limit added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars such as those contained in milk and fruit. I like milk so I am going to continue to use it as I don't really care for almond/soy/rice types of milk. Most of the nutrition articles you read will tell you to limit added sugars :) I've posted an article about naturally occurring sugars and added sugars below from the American Heart Association. Good luck!

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp

And they are all wrong.

So far today;

38g carbs in 2 crumpets
    26g in my maple syrup
    28g in my 3 bean chili
    13g in a minneola orange

So we have sucrose, lactose, fructose and maltose..............please point to the one that's bad for me and that I should restrict?

Unless you're diabetic, like some of us are, there's no reason to restrict carbs or sugars. In fact, right up till the beer, you're still okay on carb (but probably not on sugar), since what I've read suggests limiting carbs to 120 grams if you're diabetic. I do eat a lot of no sugar added stuff, but I like my milk, too. I'd rather have my milk or my cheese than a cookie, most of the time. And yes, I'm with you, I don't care for the almond/soy/rice types of milk as I don't get enough protein from them. I got quite light-headed when I tried to use them instead of dairy for the last Lenten fast--I'm and Eastern Orthodox Christian and we're supposed to cut out meat and dairy during Lent. So . . . yeah . . . not doing that any longer.

Strangely enough I was at a bar with a diabetic friend on Sat night - he usually drinks Mich Ultra because of the carb thing - they were out - turns out the bartender is diabetic too and she suggested coors lite. There's also guinness. Oh my - even the diabetics don't need to avoid beer.

• LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

And they are all wrong.

So far today;

38g carbs in 2 crumpets
    26g in my maple syrup
    28g in my 3 bean chili
    13g in a minneola orange

Strangely enough I was at a bar with a diabetic friend on Sat night - he usually drinks Mich Ultra because of the carb thing - they were out - turns out the bartender is diabetic too and she suggested coors lite. There's also guinness. Oh my - even the diabetics don't need to avoid beer.

Never said they did. Read the bolded part of my post and do your maths. Unless you have additional carbs from exercise (which I do add back in) or don't care that you'd go over 120 grams by a significant amount, you'll exceed the recommended daily carb limit with the beer. If I drank alcohol (which I don't, for personal reasons), I would ditch the maple syrup for the beer and only go over by one gram.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Yeah .....no. I'm not diabetic and my carbs are set at about 240 per day. My point was strictly against the "unless you have a medical reason" that gets trotted out so often.

If you've got yours under control, then good on ya, keep up the good work!

But my original point to the OP was sugar is not the debil! CICO.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If your really freaked out you can buy Lactose free milk, the sugar level varies depending on brand (and it's not lactose but added sugar) from 1-9grams. I buy lactose free milk because two of my kids are lactose intolerant
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    My dad was going on about how I should drink full fat milk cause low fat milk has sugar to make it fast better or some malarkey like that.

I went to the fridge and checked and full fat had similar or more sugar than lite milk.
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If it ends in ose it is some type of sugar or: lactose, dextrose, fructose etc.
    there is as much sugar in a 12oz can of orange juice as there is in a can of coke.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

ahh yes the old evil added sugars….will they ever get the recognition that there cousin "natural sugar" gets….
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Unless you're diabetic, like some of us are, there's no reason to restrict carbs or sugars. In fact, right up till the beer, you're still okay on carb (but probably not on sugar), since what I've read suggests limiting carbs to 120 grams if you're diabetic.

My doctor (a certified diabetic educator) tells her patients to limit their total carbs to 180 and that, unless they are taking insulin, they shouldn't bother watching sugars at all, as long as the total carbs are in line.

• LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Unless you're diabetic, like some of us are, there's no reason to restrict carbs or sugars. In fact, right up till the beer, you're still okay on carb (but probably not on sugar), since what I've read suggests limiting carbs to 120 grams if you're diabetic.

My doctor (a certified diabetic educator) tells her patients to limit their total carbs to 180 and that, unless they are taking insulin, they shouldn't bother watching sugars at all, as long as the total carbs are in line.

My diabetic educator said 30 carbs/meal and another 30 for snacks. According to the ADA (I just looked this up) the range is 45 to 60 grams carbohydrates/meal, if you figure three meals a day. I guess my educator sticks to the low range of the scale and your doctor sticks to the higher end, but both are (essentially) within the range.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    What is this I don't even...
    n5rot0.jpg

• ndj1979
    Options
    OP - does this mean that low fat milk is now bad???
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

It always was.

Taste wise at least.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP was this your reaction when you found out this shocking news…

sugar_gif_zpsede21a2f.gif
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

My diabetic educator said 30 carbs/meal and another 30 for snacks. According to the ADA (I just looked this up) the range is 45 to 60 grams carbohydrates/meal, if you figure three meals a day. I guess my educator sticks to the low range of the scale and your doctor sticks to the higher end, but both are (essentially) within the range.

Is your Dr. talking total carbs or net carbs? That may be the difference. Either way, yes both are within the range. it is impossible to give the correct number of carbs for each person, just a guideline range and adjust if necessary.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    emily_stew wrote: »
    What is this I don't even...
    n5rot0.jpg

WYpHK1v.gif
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

It always was.

Taste wise at least.

nuh uh. higher fat milk is gross. But i've been consuming skim like... most of my life so I don't like anything with more fat, tastes weird and has a bad texture. You KNOW on school pizza days I'd be pissed if they didn't have the skim milk option.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    OP was this your reaction when you found out this shocking news…

sugar_gif_zpsede21a2f.gif

I kind of wish that I bothered putting in the sugar grams for my private database entries so I could see how much sugar I eat on average... but I only fill in macros, calories, fiber, and sodium. Alas.