Dr Phils 20/20 Diet

Options
leooftheyear
leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So my mom has read the book and was explaing it to me, and for the first 5 days you can only eat certain things (e.g. Cod, Lentils, Leafy Greens, Green Tea and a few other things) then for stage 2 you add more food then you finish on stage 3 with tips on eating out. I'm sorry but am i the only one that thinks this is NUTS???

My mom has always told me i need to eat no carbs and more protein and do this not that. But honestly i have had the most success eating what i like but less....

Replies

• KCMission
    KCMission Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    some people find regimented eating is what they need to get them on or keep them on their journey. This has never worked for me...I believe in moderation not deprivation. Of course there are things to stay away from or severely limit when we're trying to lose, but I don't go for any of the so-called diets that say you can't eat such-n-such. It is a bandaid and doesn't address the poor eating habits that got them where they are in the first place. But again, to each their own. What works for you may not work for another and vice versa. I'm sure many will disagree but there is no blanket approach, just like there's no miracle pill :) Good luck on your PERSONAL journey !
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but am i the only one that thinks this is NUTS???

No...

Losing weight is beautiful in its simplicity. Eat less calories than you burn. Period.

All of those woo woo ideas can be successful if 1) They help you eat less calories than you burn and 2) They're a sustainable choice for you. But there's no magic in them and in the end the math always wins out.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I'm sorry but am i the only one that thinks this is NUTS???

No...

Losing weight is beautiful in its simplicity. Eat less calories than you burn. Period.

All of those woo woo ideas can be successful if 1) They help you eat less calories than you burn and 2) They're a sustainable choice for you. But there's no magic in them and in the end the math always wins out.

completely agree, my mom and i got into the same discussion about all the diets that deliver pre portioned meals to your door (e.g. Jenny Craig) and i said "but you dont learn how to eat" and she was like "well some people need to not think about it and just eat what they have in front of them, your aunt lost the most weight when she was on jenny craig then gained it back when she went off of jenny craig" CASE AND POINT WHY MFP IS BETTER AND TEACHS YOU HOW TO EAT!
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    1- What qualifies Dr. Phil to tell anybody what type of diet they should be eating for weight loss?

2- It's all about calories in / calories out. There's no magic list of foods that will give you more success than any other foods.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    KCMission wrote: »
    some people find regimented eating is what they need to get them on or keep them on their journey. This has never worked for me...I believe in moderation not deprivation. Of course there are things to stay away from or severely limit when we're trying to lose, but I don't go for any of the so-called diets that say you can't eat such-n-such. It is a bandaid and doesn't address the poor eating habits that got them where they are in the first place. But again, to each their own. What works for you may not work for another and vice versa. I'm sure many will disagree but there is no blanket approach, just like there's no miracle pill :) Good luck on your PERSONAL journey !

it's funny because when i first started my journey about a year and a half ago i thought i had to go to the gym classes 6 days a week and restrict what i ate (e.g. no carbs) because that's what i've always been told, but then i found Eat More 2 Lose Weight and Stronglifts and New Rules of Lifting for Women, and i have had more success limiting portions of what i want vs being restrictive (e.g. like the chocolate chip cookie sandwich i ALWAYS crave right before my TOM) i gave into my craving this month and last month and do not feel guilty!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    So my mom has read the book and was explaing it to me, and for the first 5 days you can only eat certain things (e.g. Cod, Lentils, Leafy Greens, Green Tea and a few other things) then for stage 2 you add more food then you finish on stage 3 with tips on eating out. I'm sorry but am i the only one that thinks this is NUTS???

My mom has always told me i need to eat no carbs and more protein and do this not that. But honestly i have had the most success eating what i like but less....

It is nuts, OP. I used to love Dr. Phil, but he's really getting on my nerves selling out with these dumb books and his wife pushing her overpriced skin care line. He may be going the way of Dr. Oz :frowning:

All you need to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn. No books required.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    People think you need to do a "diet" to lose weight. They don't realize eating less and moving more gives the same affect. I had a "discussion" with a gentleman that swears that the only thing that has worked for him was Atkins. He said he lost 35lbs, then ate pasta and it was all over from there. He's at least 100lbs overweight. I said "then Atkin's didn't work.". He couldn't see that "it didn't work". If it worked, he wouldn't need to lose 100lbs now. This went on for about 10 minutes until I gave up.
  • leooftheyear
    Options

It is nuts, OP. I used to love Dr. Phil, but he's really getting on my nerves selling out with these dumb books and his wife pushing her overpriced skin care line. He may be going the way of Dr. Oz :frowning:

All you need to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn. No books required.

DEFINITELY!!!! My mom tried to get me to read the book, i was in the middle of readying New Rules of Lifting for Women which was the completely opposite of Dr. Phils book, so i said ummmm no i'm good :/
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    People think you need to do a "diet" to lose weight. They don't realize eating less and moving more gives the same affect. I had a "discussion" with a gentleman that swears that the only thing that has worked for him was Atkins. He said he lost 35lbs, then ate pasta and it was all over from there. He's at least 100lbs overweight. I said "then Atkin's didn't work.". He couldn't see that "it didn't work". If it worked, he wouldn't need to lose 100lbs now. This went on for about 10 minutes until I gave up.

i asked my mom what the point of the diet is and she really didn;t have an answer outside of "well its all thermogenic foods" and i was like ummmmm ok????
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have an honest question:

So this is Dr. Phil's diet book right? Is this the same approach he took to lose all the weight in order to look nice and trim? Nice and lean?

LMFAO!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

DEFINITELY!!!! My mom tried to get me to read the book, i was in the middle of readying New Rules of Lifting for Women which was the completely opposite of Dr. Phils book, so i said ummmm no i'm good :/

Ha. You definitely picked the better book!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have an honest question:

So this is Dr. Phil's diet book right? Is this the same approach he took to lose all the weight in order to look nice and trim? Nice and lean?

Haha, this is what I think every time he pushes this book on his show.

He ain't exactly practicing what he preaches, apparently. Unless under that jacket and shirt he has a protruding belly of nothing but abs.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    1- What qualifies Dr. Phil to tell anybody what type of diet they should be eating for weight loss?

2- It's all about calories in / calories out. There's no magic list of foods that will give you more success than any other foods.

COMPLETELY AGREE!!! As soon as my mom said Dr. Phil i tuned her out :/

apparently according to Dr. Phil it's all about eating thermogenic foods????
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to anything that man says LOL. I've seen him pushing some diet during interviews on other shows and I'm assuming it's this book.

I'll stick with the awesome free MFP. (hey I rhymed)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Dr Phil has a "dr" by his name and is on TV; therefore, he must be a genius when it comes to weight loss. ...

LOL
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Ha. You definitely picked the better book!

i am so tempted to let her read the book once i am done with the workouts, partially because i know she is against strength training because she doesn;t want me to bulk up and look like a guy???? or at least that was her response when i brought up possibly teaching Body Pump :(
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    I don't listen to anything that man says LOL. I've seen him pushing some diet during interviews on other shows and I'm assuming it's this book.

I'll stick with the awesome free MFP. (hey I rhymed)

agreed! i like eating what i want, limiting portions of course :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No thanks it sounds ridiculous. Even the "no carbs" so called diet is difficult to maintain over a lifetime. I have had friends do that, go off carbs for a year and then gain all the weight back when they started eating sandwiches and bread, pasta again. Portion control.