Dr Phils 20/20 Diet

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I think the idea of it is to make it super simple so that people don't give up. He's doing the thinking for you and easing you into healthy eating in stages. Some people need this; many don't.

Most people who do that don't learn a thing about nutrition and just gain all the weight back again. Also, his advice is arbitrary and wacky, and he has not a single qualification to be giving nutrition advice in the first place.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I think the idea of it is to make it super simple so that people don't give up. He's doing the thinking for you and easing you into healthy eating in stages. Some people need this; many don't.

Most people who do that don't learn a thing about nutrition and just gain all the weight back again. Also, his advice is arbitrary and wacky, and he has not a single qualification to be giving nutrition advice in the first place.

exactly. i'd rather learn how to eat in moderation than follow a plan i know im not going to stick to and risk gaining the weight back after i come off the plan, which also happens to be my arguement against Jenny Craig and Nutrasystem.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    no wonder that SOB has so much money
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    So my mom has read the book and was explaing it to me, and for the first 5 days you can only eat certain things (e.g. Cod, Lentils, Leafy Greens, Green Tea and a few other things) then for stage 2 you add more food then you finish on stage 3 with tips on eating out. I'm sorry but am i the only one that thinks this is NUTS???

My mom has always told me i need to eat no carbs and more protein and do this not that. But honestly i have had the most success eating what i like but less....

I'm not familiar with that specific diet and last I heard, Dr. Phil was still overweight, but some people do better on a restricted regime -- they can't eat a little of everything in moderation. Others want to change their body composition and eat in a way that maximizes the use of fat by the body while preserving muscle. They usually eat a low- to no-carb, high-protein diet.

Your skepticism suggests that you would not be a candidate for this kind of diet. But make no mistake, it does work for some people.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the OP - while it's similar to a lot of other hyper-restrictive diets, it is pretty ridiculous. Besides, last I checked, Dr. Phil is not a nutritionist, dietician, or has weight-loss expertise.

I get that diets like this can work for some, but is it sustainable? While all diets have a low rate of long-term success, with those odds it makes most sense, at least to me, to make it easier on myself and do something that teaches me how to eat real food but sensibly.

FWIW my mom always gives me Dr. Oz weight loss advice, and I just graciously nod and smile.
  • jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a rehash of every other diet I've ever read about. I have the 17 Day Diet book which I bought second-hand just out of curiosity, and the minute I read in phase one that it was demanding I restrict my fat intake, I decided I should feed it into a wood chipper the next time I get a chance(fats, mostly "healthy" fats, make up 35-40% of my calories). Not sustainable. Generally, that's how I feel about any kind of diet plan that tells me to eat exactly these things. I just can't do it.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have an honest question:

So this is Dr. Phil's diet book right? Is this the same approach he took to lose all the weight in order to look nice and trim? Nice and lean?

You are very politically correct. I was going to be blunter: Dr. Phil is fat.
    /Thread.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    That's like Jillian Michaels telling people to cut out the consumption of broccoli in order to lose weight. Um.... whut?

giphy.gif
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    I have to agree with the OP - while it's similar to a lot of other hyper-restrictive diets, it is pretty ridiculous. Besides, last I checked, Dr. Phil is not a nutritionist, dietician, or has weight-loss expertise.

I get that diets like this can work for some, but is it sustainable? While all diets have a low rate of long-term success, with those odds it makes most sense, at least to me, to make it easier on myself and do something that teaches me how to eat real food but sensibly.

FWIW my mom always gives me Dr. Oz weight loss advice, and I just graciously nod and smile.

That's exactly why i asked her what the point of the diet was and she couldn't even really tell me anything other than "to eat thermogenic foods" UMMM??? ok???? questioning the sustainability factor???
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So my mom has read the book and was explaing it to me, and for the first 5 days you can only eat certain things (e.g. Cod, Lentils, Leafy Greens, Green Tea and a few other things) then for stage 2 you add more food then you finish on stage 3 with tips on eating out. I'm sorry but am i the only one that thinks this is NUTS???

My mom has always told me i need to eat no carbs and more protein and do this not that. But honestly i have had the most success eating what i like but less....

I agree - it's nuts. I'm sorry - I just feel like you have to make whatever "program" you're on be liveable. I know there must be people out there who have things like cod, lentils, leafy greens, etc. on a daily basis, but I'm not one of them.

Further - there's those who will say to completely cut out carbs or fats - but again, I'm not one of them.

There's absolutely no way I'd be successful doing anything like that. I know myself. Cod is not something I ever plan on eating. I'll eat green vegetables, but not sure the leafy greens they imagine are the same ones I imagine. Don't like tea. I've done so much better by just adjusting my eating habits and logging.

It's definitely a thing of "know thyself" and what you are and are not willing to do, but also speak with dieticians, and/or bariatric physician's who know more about how to lose weight than a psychiatrist who no longer has a license for it psychiatry and has paid a variety of people to assist in putting those weight loss books together.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »

I agree - it's nuts. I'm sorry - I just feel like you have to make whatever "program" you're on be liveable. I know there must be people out there who have things like cod, lentils, leafy greens, etc. on a daily basis, but I'm not one of them.

Further - there's those who will say to completely cut out carbs or fats - but again, I'm not one of them.

There's absolutely no way I'd be successful doing anything like that. I know myself. Cod is not something I ever plan on eating. I'll eat green vegetables, but not sure the leafy greens they imagine are the same ones I imagine. Don't like tea. I've done so much better by just adjusting my eating habits and logging.

It's definitely a thing of "know thyself" and what you are and are not willing to do, but also speak with dieticians, and/or bariatric physician's who know more about how to lose weight than a psychiatrist who no longer has a license for it psychiatry and has paid a variety of people to assist in putting those weight loss books together.

i completely agree, i've had the most success when im logging and tracking and weighing and not restricting! I find when i restrict i want to eat whatever im restricting, if i have stuff in moderation i do a lot better (e.g. i had a box of cookies in my desk, serving size is 2 cookies, every day i had 2 cookies for my chocolate cravings and i never wanted more than that) if i really want something that badly i find a way to fit it into my calories.

It's kind of ironic because my mom was always the one forcing WW down my throat and now she's tried so many different crazy diets and still cannot lose the weight and still has no control over her eating of sweets.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yep, some people really respond to the regimented approach. Back in the 90s I followed Suzanne Somers' diet which didn't forbid foods, IIRC, but it was all food combining nonsense. The part I remember clearly was that you could not eat complex carbs and fat together--so if you had bacon and eggs you couldn't have toast with them, only fat-free sauces on pasta, and you could have the biggest vegetable sandwich you wanted, but no butter or mayo on the bread, just fat free spreads like mustard. This worked fantastic for me. She had some crazy theories about why eating them together at the same meal caused weight gain but eating the same foods separately at different times didn't, but the real effect of course was just eating less. I confess though that the recipes were very good.
  • solnapug
    solnapug Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started on Dr. Phil's 20/20 diet on January 12 and finished the three phases except for the last two days when I was in hospital (not related to the diet or food). I figure I'm in a position to know something about the pros and cons of it. I very much doubt that Dr. Phil did the research for the book or came up with the recipes. I'm also sure he wrote the main text of the book. It is long-winded and goes on and on. And on. I gave up and just skipped to the section about the actual diet.

Phase 1 is hard, especially if you don't like or eat mustard, chickpeas, lentils, peanut butter, cod or tofu. I found the phase 1 recipes simply horrible and there was only one (raisins and almonds) that I could eat as presented. I ended up doing my own thing but using the core foods that I would eat. It was only for five days and except for the very first day, I wasn't hungry and didn't feel deprived. Phase 2 (also five days) is easier, as you get a lot more foods added. Again, the recipes were not to my liking for the most part so I continued my creative cooking. Phase 3 adds yet more foods and actually some pretty neat recipes. Depending on where you live, some of the foods can be expensive, though, or not even available.

From the start I have been tracking what I eat. I thought this was important since I didn't use the recipes and even when I eventually did (phase 3) I did make some changes. Overall, I find the recipes high in calories. There are very few meals that are under 300 calories, most are over 350. This doesn't sound so bad, 350 times 4 meals is 1400 calories, not bad for a day. However, I also drink coffee with 10% cream in it. The cream is not negotiable, and it does add calories. And my little extra treat is a few Werther's hard candies every day and I count those in as well.

So, what's my verdict? I have changed the way I eat. I have drastically reduced my use of salt and sugar and the use of processed foods. I have actually learnt to like cooking and planning and creating meals and I don't even mind having to sometimes cook separately for my husband. This is not a bad way of eating and even the book is bearable, if you ignore all the psycho-babble. So, did I lose weight? I'm down 16 pounds right now, which might be a bit more if I had followed those recipes to the letter. I'll never know. I'm about to embark on a second round of this diet starting tomorrow. The last three weeks I have stuck to the phase 3 foods, but thought going back to the start would give me another boost. I still have lots of weight to lose.
  • CML2K0
    CML2K0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have also followed the diet but have not reached the third phase yet. I have gone from one to two and back to one again. I am so far down 15 pounds. I think the eating at a structured time 4 timed a day has really made a difference for me. I am not snacking any more. It does make me eat healthier and i feel good. I guess its not for everyone, but i don't think anyone should put it down unless they have tried it themselves.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    CML2K0 wrote: »
    I have also followed the diet but have not reached the third phase yet. I have gone from one to two and back to one again. I am so far down 15 pounds. I think the eating at a structured time 4 timed a day has really made a difference for me. I am not snacking any more. It does make me eat healthier and i feel good. I guess its not for everyone,but i don't think anyone should put it down unless they have tried it themselves.

I disagree. You don't need to try every fad diet out there to be able to say that they tend to be over-complicated, arbitrary, unnecessary and often unsustainable.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz are both nothing but two brainwashing quacks who prey on people that are desperate to lose weight. I would not trust them as far as I could throw them.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't know how people can even do these types of diets with real life going on. I went on a Girl Scout camp out this weekend for example. I couldn't eat cod and green tea and whatever else. I just had to eat whatever the camp was serving and make it work. I can do that because MFP is a super flexible tool- as is any type of CiCO. It seems like things, events, etc, are constantly coming up!
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options

It is nuts, OP. I used to love Dr. Phil, but he's really getting on my nerves selling out with these dumb books and his wife pushing her overpriced skin care line. He may be going the way of Dr. Oz :frowning:

All you need to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn. No books required.

Dr Oz and Dr Phil are both total jokes. I'm so disappointed