What was the last straw?

Options

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I was between 280-330 my whole adult life, always thought I looked 'ok for a big girl' that changed when I saw a photo of myself I didn't take. I cried for a few minutes and decided I would take a week to do research and figure out the best plan for me. Found MFP, started meal prepping and have never looked back--that was January 2014.I got out of the 300's and I'm about be out of the 200's (200.6 right now, started at 324) 40 pounds until goal.

That's friggin' awesome. Go you!
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My son was about 2yrs old....I am a single mom....I was always sick, felt tired, just blah ALL the time.....and was fed up....so I lost over 100lbs
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I reached a turning point at 60 after all my life being unable to stick to a diet. I'd lose weight and gain it back, multiple times.

I have one total knee replacement, a bad back, HBP, moving towards diabetes.

Finally my orthopedist sat me down and we had an honest discussion about my weight, not the usual "you need to lose a few pounds". He recommended a group he used to put off joint problems he was headed towards. Not a weight loss clinic but a group of board certified surgeons. I talked with my family doctor and cardiologist who wholehearted support me.

I met with the bariatric surgeon, no pressure. I started working with their nutritionist to relearn how to eat. She taught me about combing protein with carbs six times a day, not worrying about calories. Lo and behold I dropped 8 pounds in a month. I followed this eating regime for 5 months, recording everything I ate. I met with a psychologist. I spoke with my family, friends, co-workers, I need to surround myself with those who will provide that support.

I had my surgery, VGS, 5 days ago. Liquid diet right now, hydrating and keeping the protein up to aid in healing. I can only ingest 1 ounce max right, anything more causes pain, powerful teacher. And no carbonated beverages (for life), the bubbles will stretch my new pouch.

In about 8 weeks following my personal plan I should be eating a whopping 4 ounces at meals.

The bariatric surgery isn't a magic bullet, it's a tool. But it's still my responsibility to follow through and my new eating plan and lifestyle. Wish me luck
  • wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have several moments that make up one final straw. Well, I am always scared that I am going to run into to someone and I would be ashamed. I was walking with my best friend at a park and someone said. That is so sweet you are walking with your mother. I looked horrified. Because I am 4 years younger than my friend. I felt so bad. The second is my blood pressure. I stopped by cvs drug store to check it. It was 171/100. I was thinking all that night I was going to have a stroke to me that was worst than death. I would be watching life go by and I could not participate the way I wanted too. I had my first daughter at 35 and my second at 41. I have to be there for them. I don't my children to be teenagers missing out on there life taking care of me. If something happened to me who would take care of them. I cannot do that for them. My mom had a stroke at 32 years old and my granddad had a stroke. He could not speak. I got to make the choices to live if not the choice will be made for me. So yes, it worth getting up early and eating right to live a quality life. No, money can give me that. It's all up to me. I choose LIFE.
  • get8fit
    get8fit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    egorre wrote: »
    that odd feeling i got around my heart one day during work where i felt like it's pumping so hard it felt like my arteries are literally clogged. i was 21 and i felt like i'm about to get a heart attack. that's not normal. friday that week (june 6) i started walking around my apartment complex. a month later (june 8) i found out about and joined MFP and started logging daily. fast forward now i'm 90lbs down.

• get8fit
    get8fit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Vanity!!! I am in my 60s , no spring chicken but still vain :) and only 5' tall. I was going through a Sears store and spotted a beautiful fitted dress, I tried it on, and it was about three sizes too small. I knew I had a wedding coming up ( my nieces ) but it was a year away, lots of time to take off the lbs. I tried on that dress almost daily, the back zipper inching it's way up, finally it fit like a dream. Bad news is my sister-in-law ( mother of the bride)saw it hanging up, the day of the wedding,and (gasped!!) Oh No!!! "that's my dress"!! she was polite enough to say I could wear it, but did offer to lend my a shrug to change the look. To make a long story longer I did not wear the dress. Good news is thanks to MFP I have kept the weight off, I think it is 5 yrs now.

• gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I couldn't find pants that fit any more in regular women's sizes. When I felt uncomfortable on the airplane because I was squeezed into the seat. When I realized that I was eating to deal with stress at work and that therefore it was like I was punishing myself more. When I realized that I had probably always been heavy in part because I had never tried to take care of myself, because part of me always believed I was worthless.
  • KevannC
    KevannC Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale for the first time in a year. Last time I had remembered I weighed 300 lbs then it read 340. I was disgusted and thought to myself eesh. I'm almost to the point where people will look at me and instantly go yikes! Since that day around 7 months later I've lost 77 lbs with a goal of 140 lbs to lose.
  • ethim
    ethim Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My housemate bought some scales and left them in the shared bathroom. I put off stepping on them for a couple of months but then curiosity got the best of me. I couldn't believe I'd gone back up to 12 st (168 lbs) - I thought I was at the higher end of 10 st (~148 - 154 lbs). Over the last 5 years my weight had increased by 3 st (42 lbs) and I was heading towards my old heaviest weight. I'd spent a lot of money and time and effort dropping the weight 6 years ago when I'd had an obese BMI to get back to a mid-range healthy BMI but I hadn't kept it off. This time I'm not buying into any meal replacements/fad exercise routines/supplements. I'm taking it slowly, counting my calories and upping my exercise gradually. I'm not losing weight - I'm getting rid of it.
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    combination of things. Annoyed with being inconsistent about my working out/nutrition, and definitely not liking what I saw in the mirror. Putting on a dress that I wore last year and it was so tight in the stomach and arms was probably the last thing!
  • kayna1225
    kayna1225 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A family picture from Christmas 2013 -- I couldnt believe it so that week I started weight watchers
  • Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been fat for about 20 years. I've been lucky not to have any health problems.

My family goes to Disney World a couple of times a year. Each day, we walk anywhere from 8-10 miles and although my feet always hurt, I make it without any problems. We were there in December, and for the first time ever I thought, "renting a scooter wouldn't be that bad."

I started my new plan the day I got home.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I took my kids to an interactive science museum in half term and we had a go on the scales. I was over 11 stone and although I knew from my clothes that I was bigger it was that number that shocked me. The last time I'd been over 11stone was when pregnant and before that was when I was "fat" in uni. My body shape is different now and I don't look as bloated and puffy as I did in uni but I'm definitely as heavy. I started exercising more but it was my husband buying new scales last week that got me joining MFP again. Want to use the community boards and support to help me through this time.

More generally though, I just want to look hot! I also don't want to use being in my thirties as an excuse to let it all go. Last year I was really gutted about how I looked on a holiday we went on with friends and at weddings we went to. I'm fed up of compromising with clothes and dressing to disguise my shape.

Oh, and my kids asking if I've got a baby in my belly really doesn't help!
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    estherlion wrote: »
    The short story...I found out my husband has a crush on a beautiful co-worker and I became Ms. frumpy.

The long story...My weight has been a problem most of my life which has affected my self esteem in many areas. I thought I lived in a very secure marriage and trusted my husband and never doubted his fidelity. I discovered that he wasn't satisfied sexually and started desiring other women (videos) and developed this crush on his co-worker. I found out about it and was shocked. After some self refection though, I had some fault in it. Due to my extra weight, I didn't feel sexy, wasn't intimate with him enough, he didn't communicate his needs, time went by, and then the truth came out. I knew I had to make a change. I had let myself go. I had let my weight steal my joy and peace. I wasn't taking good care of myself. My neglect for my body, over focusing on work, and being over stressed has almost cost me my marriage. I've started working out, I've lost some weight, I am at a normal BMI, my stress is taken out in the gym, and my confidence is up. Our sex life is better, still wounded with doubt, but trying to save my marriage and family. I am ten pounds away from my goal weight, and no matter what the outcome is, I will continue doing this for me.

• Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would say for me noticing my weight at like 22 and how I've come to this point and how the last thing I really need to fix at this point is my weight I'm happy and found inner peace and new love for life but I need to loose my pounds of pain and my quitting smoking weight plus I'm going to the beach for the first time in years and I wanna be comfortable when I go to the beach I wanna drop 15 or 17 pounds and I will I'm ready (:
  • olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble bending over to tie my shoe!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I took a photo and did not like what i saw. That was last December 23rd. Since then I've lost 30 lbs.
  • missspottydog
    missspottydog Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    71tnwb8ou6la.jpg
    This photo :\
    Also I want to do Go Ape but my thighs are too fat for the harness!
  • missmeee
    missmeee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In the mall whole day and coming out with nothing, becuz nuttn fit the way how I wanted, felt like a stuff turkey
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I saw 200 lbs on the scale after promising myself I'd never see 200.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!