Starving! How do I get over it?

Options
Before I was logging, weighing , measuring etc I was eating about 2200 calories. My calorie goal is 1590 and I stay at that but I'm so hungry when I get to bed! Am I so used to eating a lot that I can't be totally satiated? Will my body adjust?

Replies

• Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Mine did last time I did this. I'm going through the starving phase again now and it's not fun.

I believe I was so used to feeling overfull that I needed to retrain my body what it was like to be full. It happened slowly but I distinctly remember one day eating out and I couldn't finish something that in the past I would have finished and gotten more without a second thought. So you will get there!

In the mean time (and to continue) try to pack your intake with as many veggies and fruits as possible. They will help you stay full for longer. Cut out "empty calories" like soda, juice, etc--things that cost you calories but don't help you feel full.
  • Katetw
    Options
    My body did last time I did this. I'm going through the starving phase again now and it's not fun.

I believe I was so used to feeling overfull that I needed to retrain my body what it was like to be full. It happened slowly but I distinctly remember one day eating out and I couldn't finish something that in the past I would have finished and gotten more without a second thought. So you will get there!

In the mean time (and to continue) try to pack your intake with as many veggies and fruits as possible. They will help you stay full for longer. Cut out "empty calories" like soda, juice, etc--things that cost you calories but don't help you feel full.
  • Katetw
    Options
    ack sorry for the double post!
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel really starved if I don't get a good enough quantity of food. Like if I were to eat a meal replacement bar, it would taste good but I'd be hungry again within an hour. To help prevent that I try to make sure to eat 1/2 my plate full of veggies or other low calorie, bulky foods. I also try to eat every 3-4 fours, and make sure to save calories for a snack before bed (or else I sleep walk and eat food while I'm 100% asleep).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Some of it is an adjustment - I know I tend to eat out of habit rather than hunger sometimes.

Make sure that your daily calories are full of good protein, fats and plenty of fiber, and also that you're drinking enough water. Protein and fat are very satiating, keeping us satisfied longer, and fiber is, well, fiber, also helps keep that full feeling. And hunger is often mistaken for thirst - when you feel hungry and it's not meal time, try drinking 8 ounces of water, wait 15 minutes and see if you really are hungry.

Hope that helps!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public ...1600 calories shouldn't make you starving if you eat the right foods

What kind of food do you like? Have you learned to adapt them to lower calorie filling version, do you allow yourself to snack

Starving is a different signal from hungry and yes you have to learn to accept not feeling over full, but not starving hungry every night ...sounds like you aren't eating enough
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat differently then a lot of people on here but for me it is all about the protein. I used to have to go through the starving phase before so when i started this time i decided to change what i focus on. I now eat a LOT of protein at every single meal. I am now having the opposite problem. I cant seem to eat enough calories because i am full all the time.

So in regards to your question i would say eat more protien at every meal, you will feel fuller longer. Also a nice little side effect is that you are unable to eat large portions the longer you do this because your stomach starts shrinking without ever feeling like your starved. Ive been doing this for three weeks and i can only eat on average a 4 oz chicken with a little side salad at a meal. Before you could double the meat, and the salad, and add a potato and i would still feel hungry.
    This works for me but there are a lot of other components. Just add protien and you will feel a little better and your calories will go down.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    nonstarchy vegetables out the wazoo.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    How long has it been? I felt hungry for 3-4 days when I started and then my body adjusted. Maybe my stomach shrunk a bit as I can't now pig out even if I want to!
  • mhook760
    mhook760 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One thing doing the 5:2 diet taught me that I am grateful for is the difference between the feeling of an empty stomach even though you've had all necessary calories and nutrients for the day, and actual 'need to eat' hunger. Nowadays I follow 16:8 for some of the benefits of fasting and find it super easy. I got to bed with the empty stomach feeling, sleep way better than i ever have before, wake up with energy and the empty feeling has gone. Then I have breakfast when I've been up 2/3 hours.

If I feel really really empty and it's bugging me, (rare)I have a hot herbal tea - no different to soup IMHO

If i know I've had what my body needs for the day, that's it I'm done. It feels great.

I will add the first few days getting used to my new practices were harder but it soon all adjusted brilliantly

I'd also recommend having a higher fat and protein content in your diet. days when I have higher carbs, I have way higher hunger. Fat is your friend, use your macros to your advantage
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That's a 600 calorie difference; big adjustment. What is your weekly weight loss goal?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I eat LOTS of veggies, protein and a good amount of fat,
    Also weigh your food to make sure you're eating enough!!!
    Do you eat back your exercise calories?
    Oh and a sweet potato is amazing for feeling full and full of nutrients!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I find, if I eat more protein and fats, I feel sated longer.
  • amsnew
    amsnew Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Make your diary public ...1600 calories shouldn't make you starving if you eat the right foods

What kind of food do you like? Have you learned to adapt them to lower calorie filling version, do you allow yourself to snack

Starving is a different signal from hungry and yes you have to learn to accept not feeling over full, but not starving hungry every night ...sounds like you aren't eating enough

I just wanted to point out one thing about eating more.... Sure yeah if you're eating 1600 empty calories of sugar and high calorie junk you'll be hungrier because the quantity of food is a lot less. That part is true. But I think that should be qualified as "eat more food" but not necessarily "eat more calories.

Whether 1600 is "enough" really depends on how tall the OP is, her age and activity level and how much she weighs now. I am only 5'1 and I'm an older lady with a sedentary job so 1600 is a bit too much for me. It sucks but at this point I need to keep my calories around 1400 on an active day and around 1200 or less on a recovery or rest day. It's a huge adjustment to go from overeating a lot to eating the proper amount.

I'm hungry on this number of calories sometimes, btw. But if I want to lose weight, I'm just going to have to be slightly hungry every once in a while. I am not ravenous or starving on these numbers though. But I think it's ok and normal to be a little hungry sometimes.

Not to nitpick at the person who posted that, but MFP forums like to sometimes throw around the advice to eat more without really explaining. It tends to be weigh lifters/really fit people, taller people or young people who recommend this, and those people tend to be able to get away with that. But it's not appropriate advice for everyone. I'm not trying to rip your post at all rabbitjb, but I feel like it's important to make the distinction because I bought into the starvation mode thing for a while and it really derailed my weight loss. I got fat eating like I did in my 20s, so it doesn't really follow that eating like that again is going to make me successful at losing weight.

As far as the OP, you should adjust soon enough. People above have given some great advice (eating for bulk with veggies, making sure you get enough protein and fat) but one more thing. I also used to eat really fast when I was a lot heavier, which meant I ate well past my body's satiety signals. Adding food to your plate that you have to slow down and chew well (my go to additions are celery or a couple oz. of baby carrots) really helped a lot to get used feeling those stop eating signals. Make sure you're drinking enough water, too. Sometimes "starving" is really "thirsty".
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 50lbs and am in maintenance.

For me.

1. I drink water. Wait 10 minutes. Sometimes hunger pains are just thirsty cries.

2. If I really am hungry, I stick with low calorie snacks, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, veggies, nuts. Things that don't take much to produce a full feeling, but still satisfy me.

3. If I have calories to spare I will throw in some peanut butter or hummus.

4. If I want sweet, I do fruit, smoothies, and frozen yogurt.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Same here.

• PrzemekR
    PrzemekR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am taking glass of water in these moments and trying to drink it. If you are still hungry, get another one.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? No one can give any meaningful specific advice without knowing what you eat now.

If you eat calorie dense processed foods you have to eat much less quantity than if you eat whole foods that have less calories per volume.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Same here.

Same here. I find that I'm actually hungrier if I don't eat enough protein so end up going way over calorie goal vs. eating under because I'm so full on protein all day. But I'm prediabetic and the carbs just spike my blood sugars, so this helps on all sides.
  • Alty63
    Alty63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My downfall is snacking for whatever reason :(
    Some good ideas above, and how about distraction techniques - e.g when you feel hungry do something energetic - climb the stairs, run round the block, chase kids round garden.