For those with high blood pressure: what food should/shouldn't you eat?

Options
13»

Replies

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options

thank you for that! I thought olive oil was good since my dad kept insisting it was (that and what articles say). As for the sugar free marmalade, it's more on because he's borderline diabetic. Is butter okay for those kinds of people? Am gonna try persuading him to see a doc and dietician so well know better :-)
    [/quote]

Olive oil is good, but it isn't good to fry with. It burns at very low temperatures and loses some of its healthy benefits when heated too much. It's perfect for salad dressings though.
    [/quote]

I need to show this forum to my dad since he believes frying with olive oil is still good. Haha
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Dgydad wrote: »
    Dealing w/ hypertension & had a stent placed in my LAD coronary artery just over a year ago. Reducing sodium intake s/b a primary goal. Weight loss (if required) is also paramount, as is limiting undesirable (saturated) fats. If your Dad isn't already on statin therapy, I suggest he speak to his primary physician ( or cardiologist, if he has one) about starting it. The generic formulation of Lipitor seems to be working well for me, but different statins work best for different folks. Since hypertension stresses the arteries, minimizing plaques is even more important than usual. Where indicated ( as in my case), statin therapy reduces triglyceride and LDL levels......

The last part got me thinking haha! He's been to a doctor already but unfortunately didnt know anything about statin therapy. but will check it out. Thanks!