Lost motivation after losing 100 lbs

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
Hello,
I did so well, it took me 3 years but I lost 100 lbs (I got down to 215, but need to get down to below 200). I did take little breaks from my diet but nothing to long or to bad, until now. I still make myself log calories but I stop after lunch so I don't really know how much I end up with. I'm just tired from doing this for 3 years. I have gained back 30 lbs since I stopped, at least... I need help/motivation to keep up my diet/life style change. I don't want to undo what I did. I want to keep the weight off and be healthy.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I can certainly understand getting burnt out after 3 years of logging. Since you've been doing it for so long with so much success, you probably have a good idea of what portions you should be eating, etc. A couple of ideas:

1) Maybe you could stop logging for a while, and focus on strength training for a while. Get into lifting weights. It would give you something else to focus on, and if you put on a little bit of weight, you can consider it a "bulk" and then you can cut when you're ready.

2) Take a break from logging and eat at maintenance. Still weigh yourself, and if the scale creeps up more than 4-5 lbs, reduce your intake a bit. Then start logging again when you're ready.

If logging is starting to really get in the way of your quality of life, you need to take a break. As long as you are mindful of your weight and what you are eating, you should be fine.

Good luck!
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! That's incredible :]

Sorry you're feeling burnt out :/ Alyssa has a good suggestion of focusing on something else for a while. Maybe switch up your diet a bit? A guy in my office did a juice diet for 90 days and dropped about 30 pounds. It sounds like you only have about half that to lose, so you could try something similar just for less time maybe?
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Try to imagine how you felt three years ago, before you started losing the weight. Do you want to be there again? Think of the effort it took to get you where you are now. If you've done it once, you'll want to do it again, and you'll be so mad with yourself for needing to do it. Just try and maintain for a couple of months, and see if that gives you a new enthusiasm, but don't give up!

(I did the same, but it was only 40lbs. I'm now losing it again and determined to figure out how to keep it off this time.)

Good luck!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Think of it like brushing your teeth or balancing your chequebook: You don't stop doing these things just because you're tired of them, do you? (Well, I'd hope not!)

The trick is to not make them so central to your life anymore. Find ways to log and track in the background, taking no more than a few minutes a day and not requiring so much concentration. After three years, you probably have it fairly down pat anyway. Meanwhile, find new goals, interests and hobbies to focus on and to motivate you -- ones not related to diet and exercise, preferably. Hang out less on these boards and concentrate on other things you enjoy, other relationships and hobbies.

You don't have to quit. But it doesn't have to define you, either.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think you might be a clone of me!! LOL It took em about 18 months to lose 115 pounds - I had skin removal surgery and a rougher recovery than I expected. Since then (summer of 2013), I feel like I've had a b&tch of a time trying to "get my groove back".

Of course, several other things came into play over the course of the last 18 months, but still. Just feels like things petered out. Ugh!!

Trying desperately, to get back on track...battle with it all the time. It really just takes a decision that come h@ll or high water, this is the path I'm on. I am going to log everything I eat. I will not deny myself stuff, but make room for certain things. When I stumble (and it's not IF, but WHEN), I will not "negative self talk" myself to death about how evil it was to have stumbled. I will pick myself up and move on.

They say in advertising that it takes someone hearing something 7 times before it "sticks". I'm hoping in a way that if I repeat that to myself enough, then it'll start sticking sooner than later! LOL

We can do this. It's within us to do it because we've done it before. Let's quit farting around, now that we've got the talking part done, let's move on to the DOING part, and get it done!!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I find these forums to be the key to my success. It somehow makes me feel accountable and/or motivated when I get/give advice. Talking with people going through what I am always helps alot.
  • rgplayer
    rgplayer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It does get pretty old, but as was already said look how far you have already got. Your so close to your goal, I would do something like buckle down and track everything again and once you got to your goal maybe stop tracking for a few days to kind of give yourself a break and reward for your work. Then just start tracking everything and give yourself a small break every few months.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »

Sorry you're feeling burnt out :/ Alyssa has a good suggestion of focusing on something else for a while. Maybe switch up your diet a bit? A guy in my office did a juice diet for 90 days and dropped about 30 pounds. It sounds like you only have about half that to lose, so you could try something similar just for less time maybe?

How do people meet their protein macros on a juice diet? Staying on juices for 3 months sounds dangerous to me....
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    it might be worth redirecting your efforts for a bit, find a fitness goal that you want to reach and focus on that for a bit, it might get you back in a grove?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    it might be worth redirecting your efforts for a bit, find a fitness goal that you want to reach and focus on that for a bit, it might get you back in a grove?

This is a great suggestion. You still need to be very aware of what you are eating (so that you don't totally throw caution to the wind...), but maybe try something new. I learned to swim. I had no idea how hard it is, but I have found that I enjoy the challenge. I'm not very good, not very fast, and have little endurance, but for whatever reason, I still enjoy it. There are days that I have to MAKE myself go to the pool, but overall, I know it's just a mental slump on those days.

Find an activity that you want to learn. If you end up enjoying it, all the better! I also took up running 2.5 years ago. Not good at it, not fast either, but my endurance is respectable, and best of all, I love it.

Good luck :) Lots of people here can relate. :heart:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this. It only makes sense that the reward of seeing a number on a scale has lost its power for you, since you've seen it A HUNDRED TIMES :) You're close enough to goal to start thinking about the end game - what are you going to do for the rest of your life? Maybe make your goal a strength goal, like completing a weight lifting program, or an endurance goal, like running a 5k. Or make a goal to find a sport or activity that you really love and incorporate it into your life.

And please no freakin' juice cleanses <g>

• JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'd join the "i lost 100+ club and am tired of logging" club.

I'm trying something new. Making my typical dinner and having it over the course of the day as breakfast/lunch & snacks. That way when i go to bed the next day is almost already logged. I do something light at dinner time.

I'm not sure where you are but I'm in northeast USA and it's been freezing cold. It's making it harder. My goal for the next couple months isn't weight loss but to not gain. Ill focus on weight loss in spring when I can go outside without freezing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Read your profile page.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are you tired of logging as in tired of the process and app? Or tired of logging as in eating the same way you've been eating for 3 years? Also your net calorie goal is really quite low.... how about raising your goal to 1lb/week? I'm sure that would make logging less of a hassle because you'll see that you can eat way more food.

Otherwise, take an actual maintenance break for an extended period of time, while still logging. I'd say do this for a few weeks, then start logging every few days for a few weeks, then only twice a week, then just check in once a week, and see if tapering off like this helps you establish an idea of what your intake should look like and how you should feel afterwards. So basically... attempting to implement "intuitive eating" for a while. Intuitive eating is what made me fat, I don't plan on really going back to it as my go-to method of weight management (especially when bulking!), but if you are in need of the mental break from logging then give it a try.

BFDeal wrote: »
    Yeah it's a hassle. The people who pretend it isn't are kidding themselves. You're basically supposed to live your entire life to balance out a bunch of numbers. Want to go out to eat? Nope, think again. You won't know what numbers to punch in. Sure, you could guess but then you'll just worry if you guessed right. Plus you're a bad person for guessing. People will say you're lying about your intake. I mean, you're supposed to weigh EVERYTHING right? I'm right there with you. I'm considering just counting loosely since I've lost all motivation for the process too.

I don't have this experience, and the only time logging has been a hassle for me was when my food scales kept dying and thus I kept having to Houdini that ish to get it to read things out for me as I was logging, and when I became to regimented. Pulled back the reigns, now it's just as easy as it was when I first started.

Want to go out and eat? Log ahead of time with either nutritional information from the restaurant/chain or with something similar in the database for a best guesstimate. Or if you are going out on a whim, then.. order something reasonable, eat slowly and enjoy your food, stop when you are full, and log best estimates afterwards (log the rest for tomorrow if any leftovers). Or heaven forbid you eat at or above maintenance once in a while and either slow your weight loss for the week or don't lose anything at all. Not the end of the world. Worried about guessing right? Not really. Since I'm close to my goal (about 15lbs likely) I'm more likely to make sure that eating out is planned beforehand, but if it weren't then I'd log something and if I went over I'd probably do an extra cardio session or two to help reduce the impact, or just meet my goals a few months later than I'd like. I've even gone out to eat spontaneously and didn't log until hours later, and I wound up having been at maintenance despite this. I just chose something that I knew wouldn't be too calorie dense. I mean, sodium-bomb and lots of bloating afterwards, but still within maintenance.

You also seem to be reacting just like anti-moderation/"clean eaters" do in threads: selective hearing. You keep saying that everyone here says you have to weigh everything and be accurate... yeah, we do say that. We also say that it's not necessary for weight loss, it's just the most accurate way to lose weight. And we also say that it's perfectly fine to guesstimate and eat more than normal as long as it's not happening every day, because that's when problems are likely to occur. I guesstimated so much throughout December, and yeah I lost slower.. but I was also taking diet breaks throughout that time.

And tbh you already are counting moderately loosely since you do not track the actual serving size but instead estimate up. So you really aren't 100% sure of your likely intake. And you continuously ignore the advice we do give you such as diet breaks and blood tests etc, so honestly I don't see you really having any reason to keep complaining on the forums. It's just ridiculously annoying and depressing and you are spreading your bitterness where motivation should be offered instead.
  • tlbev2015
    Options
    Wow some great suggestions in here, thanks to all. I think I need to set an activity goal. Something to strive for, will need to ponder upon this. Love thought of a pool but way too selfconcious for that
  • tlbev2015
    Options
    CEE you have done a super job...maybe think back to some of your own motivations. What did you feel like at highest weight? Do you remember when you hit that first 20 pound mark...you were doing it, it was coming off. Dig down deep. Now is the time! Set that small goal then build on it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Think of it like brushing your teeth or balancing your chequebook: You don't stop doing these things just because you're tired of them, do you? (Well, I'd hope not!)

The trick is to not make them so central to your life anymore. Find ways to log and track in the background, taking no more than a few minutes a day and not requiring so much concentration. After three years, you probably have it fairly down pat anyway. Meanwhile, find new goals, interests and hobbies to focus on and to motivate you -- ones not related to diet and exercise, preferably. Hang out less on these boards and concentrate on other things you enjoy, other relationships and hobbies.

You don't have to quit. But it doesn't have to define you, either.

This is an excellent idea. I pre-log the day before. Since I eat pretty much the same things, I do a lot of copying from the day before, or meals. Once a day is all that's necessary with pre-planning, or when you decide to make a change.

I've been at this for over two years- one year to lose 44 lbs and over a year maintenance-and I can't imagine my life without logging and tracking.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I can certainly understand getting burnt out after 3 years of logging. Since you've been doing it for so long with so much success, you probably have a good idea of what portions you should be eating, etc. A couple of ideas:

1) Maybe you could stop logging for a while, and focus on strength training for a while. Get into lifting weights. It would give you something else to focus on, and if you put on a little bit of weight, you can consider it a "bulk" and then you can cut when you're ready.

2) Take a break from logging and eat at maintenance. Still weigh yourself, and if the scale creeps up more than 4-5 lbs, reduce your intake a bit. Then start logging again when you're ready.

If logging is starting to really get in the way of your quality of life, you need to take a break. As long as you are mindful of your weight and what you are eating, you should be fine.

Good luck!

^^^ Agreed. Try to eat more intuitively, but keep a watch on your weight/measurements. Don't let yourself creep back up. Also, search the success stories forum on here for motivation You've come to far to give up. 100 lbs lost is phenomenal! Don't give up because if you can lose 100lbs then I know that you can get down below 200. Also look at this youtube post about number wall it might help you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI8J2XRLQPw

Good luck!!! :drinker:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »

No. Really bad advice. She needs to learn to eat properly and not rely on fad diets.
    OP, try to learn something from your weight loss experience. You can't log all of your life.