Friend me if you don't lie about your exercise cals

Options
124»

Replies

• Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    karmcl wrote: »
    Is it me, or do people give themselves WAY too much calorie credit for exercise on MFP? I'm an avid runner. I run between 8 & 9 minute miles, and average around 30 miles/week. I give myself credit for about -100 calories per mile. It drives me crazy to read about people claiming to burn 300 calories on a 3.5 mph lesiurely walk, or 700 calories during 30 minues on an elliptical. If it were that easy, I wouldn't run so fast. Thanks for letting me rant. Now please friend me and tell me to stop eating crap. My diary is open to my friends. :blush:

I'm sure I'm guilty of that as well. I was going with the number on the treadmill, which was around 435 calories per hour with a moderate incline. I still don't know if that was right or not. I think a lot of people are just getting bad information rather than lying about it.

Going with the first web site that pops up in my search engine, I see the following results...

Brisk walking (4 mph) claims to burn 250-345 calories, and I'm assuming that's on a flat surface. If that's close to accurate, is it unreasonable to assume that walking at an incline increases the calorie burn to over 400? I honestly don't know.

Source: http://www.caloriecontrol.org/articles-and-video/lets-get-physical

I think I just need to get a fitbit and be done with it.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I love how people come on and rant/judge and they are not even doing it themselves!!! LOL
  • Chihiro77
    Chihiro77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    it's kinda rude to passive aggressively diss the people on your friends list like this o.p.

It's not my friends on here...it's when I read about someone complaining on a message board thread that they're not losing--and then I look at their exercise log and see they're overestimating. My MFP friends are all awesome.

Anywayzzz I'm kinda done w/ this thread now. It probably wasn't very nice of me to assume, and the replies from you all were not very nice either. Have a great day!

Everyone is taking your post a bit too seriously, some folk just love an argument!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Is it me, or do people give themselves WAY too much calorie credit for exercise on MFP? I'm an avid runner. I run between 8 & 9 minute miles, and average around 30 miles/week. I give myself credit for about -100 calories per mile. It drives me crazy to read about people claiming to burn 300 calories on a 3.5 mph lesiurely walk, or 700 calories during 30 minues on an elliptical. If it were that easy, I wouldn't run so fast. Thanks for letting me rant. Now please friend me and tell me to stop eating crap. My diary is open to my friends. :blush:

actually, mfp gives me less than 100 calories per mile for my run. maybe you're the one who is lying. it gives me 234 calories for a 3 mile run at an 8 minute mile, so 78 calories per mile. gives me 257 calories for a 5 mile walk at 3.5 miles per hour. no idea if that's right or not, but that's what i go with.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    it's kinda rude to passive aggressively diss the people on your friends list like this o.p.

It's not my friends on here...it's when I read about someone complaining on a message board thread that they're not losing--and then I look at their exercise log and see they're overestimating. My MFP friends are all awesome.

Anywayzzz I'm kinda done w/ this thread now. It probably wasn't very nice of me to assume, and the replies from you all were not very nice either. Have a great day!

then when they complain that they are not losing, why not explain to them that it's most likely because they are overestimating exercise calories? why make a rant thread instead? i doubt they know they are doing that. i don't know about the mfp database, but those elliptical machines are notorious for overestimating calories burned. i think that it's a marketing tool or something.