Anxious About The Gym - Help Needed!

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kool and the gang, or cripps. Doesn't really matter.

They'll stomp you in, and everything will be fine.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol you will learn quickly that people at the gym are too self centered to care about you and what you're doing. (Not self centered in a bad way usually) They are just focused on themselves.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Start with something you are comfortable doing. Stationary bike or something like that, then gradually branch out to other fun things when you feel more comfortable in that scene
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Hire a trainer and have them show you the ropes. If this isn't possible, ask if the gym has an "introduction" type of thing where a trainer can give you a quick tour. Knowing the layout and some basic etiquette can lessen anxiety (at least for me)

Another option is going the first couple times when the gym is less busy. Less of an "audience" :)

ETA: Go with a plan. If you know what you want to do it's much easier to get in and get it done.

this is good advice.
    ring the 3 gyms nearest you,arrange a free trial and discuss your fears with them openly.i am sure many have experience with this.
    as a former fatty,i just walked into local gym and paid 3 months upfront on the spot.best money i have spent as an adult.