Carbs are taking over!!!

Options

Replies

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Medical reason for low carbs? Is 50g net or total? What do your other macros look like?

If you're not hitting your calorie goal you're probably not eating enough fat for carbs to be that low. Also, if doing low carb there are a lot of other things you need to do and take into consideration. Water, Sodium, potassium, and magnesium being a few important factors.

My diary is open. I eat approximately 18g of net carbs per day.

Some examples

Breakfast : bacon, eggs, cheese, coffee, heavy cream

Lunch: Tuna salad, green beans with butter

Dinner: salmon with olive oil and spices, asparagus with olive oil lemon and salt, mushrooms and spinach sautéed in butter

Snacks: almonds, peanuts, whipped heavy cream and almond butter, 1/2 cup frozen berries blended with heavy cream, splenda and water.. Cheese
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    HSThode wrote: »
    Help!! I have set my carbs to 50 a day but I keep going over on carbs and under eating in calories. My carbs are from fruits and Fiber One bars as far as I can tell. I need help!! What are some low carb "treats" or easy grab and go items that aren't so high in carbs?

50% or 50g

if the latter, poor you! if the former, welcome to the club :grinning:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    More veggies, less fruits. When you do have fruit, aim more for berries, less for bananas. Hard cheese and beef sticks or jerky are good for on the go, assuming you are making up your balance from fat and not trying to go lc and lf at the same time (bad idea). I go through a lot of celery and peanut butter - "natural" style pb usually has less carbs, most of the major name brands have one. Nuts are good, too, but not all are lc, cashews have a ton of carbs compared to almonds or walnuts.

You should probably ditch the Fiber One bars, too. Most granola bars have the same nutritional info as Little Debbies, even if they add fiber or protein to make them sound healthier.

The main thing is to start reading labels when you shop. You'll find them in all kinds of places you wouldn't expect, like lunchmeat and spice mixes, even cough medicine.

Did you know bananas are berries? I just learned that yesterday!

OP - 50g is pretty low, IMO. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it.

mind - blown
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Help!! I have set my carbs to 50 a day but I keep going over on carbs and under eating in calories. My carbs are from fruits and Fiber One bars as far as I can tell. I need help!! What are some low carb "treats" or easy grab and go items that aren't so high in carbs?

Stop looking at the carb number and look at meeting your calorie goal instead.
    Do an internet search for low carb snacks.
    Eat meat, cheese, eggs, nuts, yogurt.

• phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Its probably 50 g, which is stage 1 of the Atkins diet. If that is what your doing then you can not have granola bars or fruit. If your doing the Atkins diet, then please go reread the induction phase because I'm not sure you understand it.

Some ideas for snacks are cheese sticks (alone or wrapped in lunch meat), nuts (weigh out 2 oz), or the portable tuna packs (throwing out the crackers). These are all easy to carry around.
  • HSThode
    Options
    Ok everyone, I see a pattern here. I have set my carbs at 50g a day. I was told I am pre diabetic. And I admit I used Google to see how much carbs to eat a day to loose weight. I have a low impact desk job and only working out maybe 30 min a day right now. So, with that said is it still too low???? What should I be at?
  • HSThode
    Options
    From Google Search:
    20-50 Grams Per Day
    This is where the metabolic benefits really start to kick in. This is the perfect range for people who need to lose weight fast, or are metabolically deranged and have obesity or diabetes.

When eating less than 50 grams per day, your body will get into ketosis, supplying energy for the brain via so-called ketone bodies. This is likely to kill your appetite and cause you to lose weight automatically.

Carbs you can eat:

Plenty of low-carb vegetables.
    Some berries, maybe with whipped cream (yum).
    Trace carbs from other foods like avocados, nuts and seeds.
    Be aware that a low-carb diet is NOT no-carb. There is room for plenty of low-carb vegetables (full list here). Personally I had never eaten as many veggies as when I first started on a low-carb diet.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    are you taking any medication or did you just have a few high blood glucose readings resulting in the pre-diabetic diagnosis?

i would ask the doctor who told you you were pre-diabetic for a referral to a dietician. if you are taking medication, don't go low carb unless you are being monitored.

you don't need to lower your carbs to lose weight. for weight loss, you need to lower your calorie goal enough to put you at a slight deficit.

lowering carbs can be beneficial for people who are pre-diabetic.

go you have a blood glucose meter?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Are you attempting to eat low carb? If so, maybe dump the fiber one bars and eat vegetables for your carbs.

Snacks: nuts (pre-counted into snack bags), beef jerky, string cheese, raw broccoli, snap peas, hard boiled eggs....

Also, if you decide to stay low carb, join the low carb group here and get some solid low carb advice.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    From Google Search:
    20-50 Grams Per Day
    This is where the metabolic benefits really start to kick in. This is the perfect range for people who need to lose weight fast, or are metabolically deranged and have obesity or diabetes.

When eating less than 50 grams per day, your body will get into ketosis, supplying energy for the brain via so-called ketone bodies. This is likely to kill your appetite and cause you to lose weight automatically.

Carbs you can eat:

Be aware that a low-carb diet is NOT no-carb. There is room for plenty of low-carb vegetables (full list here). Personally I had never eaten as many veggies as when I first started on a low-carb diet.

yeah. don't go by that.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Wow 50g of carbs is pretty low. Any particular reason for this?

Meats, cheese, nuts are low carb.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your days for awhile instead of logging as you go so that you can see where you need to adjust and make changes.
  • HSThode
    Options
    I had a few high blood glucose readings. I did speak to a dietitian. No drugs. No meter. I was a carb junky!!! So, trying to get out but its everywhere!! I had a banana and a measured 1/2 cup greek yogurt for breakfast then logged it...BAM...carbs gone!! Really? And that is healthy eating! If that;s the case I feel sunk. What to do what to do? I eat eggs like a maniac.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    From Google Search:
    20-50 Grams Per Day

Carbs you can eat:

If you are trying to use dr google, then at least use a trusted medical site. Like this one: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/carbohydrate-counting.html (which suggests more carbs per meal than you are eating per day, for diagnosed diabetes).
    Or talk to your endocrinologist and ask for a sample meal plan.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    From Google Search:
    20-50 Grams Per Day

Carbs you can eat:

If you are trying to use dr google, then at least use a trusted medical site. Like this one: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/carbohydrate-counting.html (which suggests more carbs per meal than you are eating per day, for diagnosed diabetes).
    Or talk to your endocrinologist and ask for a sample meal plan.
  • HSThode
    Options
    Ok just redid my target diet and it bumped me up to 150g carbs, 40g fat and 60g protein. Is that better?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I had a few high blood glucose readings. I did speak to a dietitian. No drugs. No meter. I was a carb junky!!! So, trying to get out but its everywhere!! I had a banana and a measured 1/2 cup greek yogurt for breakfast then logged it...BAM...carbs gone!! Really? And that is healthy eating! If that;s the case I feel sunk. What to do what to do? I eat eggs like a maniac.

Sounds to me like you'd benefit from a more formalized approach. An educational approach, for a while. i.e.: a formal diet.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Where these blood glucose reading fasting or non fasting? I know you didn't say you had diabetes, but diabetics count carbs in order to maintain their blood glucose. I pulled this from the ADA website:
    A place to start is at about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate at a meal. You may need more or less carbohydrate at meals depending on how you manage your diabetes.

If you try to restrict too much, you may end up on a carb binge.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/carbohydrate-counting.html
  • LKArgh
    Options

And what makes you think that eating eggs like a maniac on the long run is safe? I suspect you googled diabetes, got terrified about carbs and decided to never eat a fruit again. Google heart disease and you can stop eating meat or butter, then google cholesterol and you will avoid the eggs you are now eating like a maniac and so on. Please talk to your dr, this is no way to make medical decisions!