Whey Protein = No Way Protein

Whey protein is horrible in powder form to me. From unflavored, chocolate, and vanilla, they all are bad. What other ways are you all getting adequate protein in while lifting weights?

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    eat meat
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Chicken, beef, eggs, steak, milk, cheese.
  • JeremyCegers
    JeremyCegers Posts: 50 Member
    meritage4 wrote: »
    eat meat

I'm usually far off when I do. I have been told that I needed a supplement for protein because of my size too.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    cottage cheese, fish, beans. I find whey powder not so great by itself but palatable in coffee
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    I like to mix the whey protein into things I already eat so you can barely taste it. For example, mix it in with your tuna salad and you can't even tell it's there. You could also try eating protein bars or protein shakes that come from the store. They tend to have more sugar, but I feel like you can't taste anything in them other than the chocolate or whatever flavor they're using.
  • JeremyCegers
    usmcmp wrote: »

Tried that, was told I need to supplement. 6" and in the 275 range.
  • AngieOnTheBeach
    AngieOnTheBeach Posts: 44 Member
    Maybe you need to try some other brands, or other ways of taking it. I personally love BPI Whey HD in strawberry cake flavour. I mix it into greek yogurt and get 41g of protein with 326 calories. Not too shabby and tastes great.
  • JeremyCegers
    Mech9 wrote: »
    I like to mix the whey protein into things I already eat so you can barely taste it. For example, mix it in with your tuna salad and you can't even tell it's there. You could also try eating protein bars or protein shakes that come from the store. They tend to have more sugar, but I feel like you can't taste anything in them other than the chocolate or whatever flavor they're using.

I may go back to the protein bars. They were great!!! Thanks for the tip/reminder.
  • usmcmp
    meritage4 wrote: »
    eat meat

I'm usually far off when I do. I have been told that I needed a supplement for protein because of my size too.

Even at 1 gram per pound of lean body mass (which is the most frequent suggestion) you should be able to hit that with real food. That suggestion is at the high end of the research out there, so you can get away with a bit less than that as well.
  • JeremyCegers
    cottage cheese, fish, beans. I find whey powder not so great by itself but palatable in coffee

Thank you. I even tried putting it in Gatorade and all it did was make it thick.
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    I stir mine into my random flavor yogurt. Can't taste it then.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    What protein number are you trying to hit at what calorie? I usually 1g/#lbm without supplements at maintenance calories or above.
  • usmcmp

You're 275 with 57 pounds to lose. That means your protein intake should be around 180-190 grams. Not 275 grams.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited February 2015
    You could try some other varieties of protein powder. I am a big fan of Body Nutrition's Trutein line. It's a blend of whey, casein, and egg white. You can order samples from their website for like $1-$2 per flavor, so you're not outlaying a lot of cash on something that may or may not work for you.

ETA: I second the idea of putting protein powder in coffee. My preferred method is iced coffee with whole milk and protein powder. I tried mixing it in cottage cheese or greek yogurt, and wasn't a big fan of the consistency.
  • JeremyCegers
    Joshacham wrote: »
    I stir mine into my random flavor yogurt. Can't taste it then.

Sounds good
  • JeremyCegers
    Maybe you need to try some other brands, or other ways of taking it. I personally love BPI Whey HD in strawberry cake flavour. I mix it into greek yogurt and get 41g of protein with 326 calories. Not too shabby and tastes great.

I may need to do that too. Thanks
  • JeremyCegers

You're 275 with 57 pounds to lose. That means your protein intake should be around 180-190 grams. Not 275 grams.

Definitely not trying to hit my weight in grams, but would love to feel/see the work I'm putting in
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Try a few protein shake recipes. There's bound to be one you can stand.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/proteinshakes.htm
  • JeremyCegers
    You could try some other varieties of protein powder. I am a big fan of Body Nutrition's Trutein line. It's a blend of whey, casein, and egg white. You can order samples from their website for like $1-$2 per flavor, so you're not outlaying a lot of cash on something that may or may not work for you.

Thanks
  • usmcmp

Definitely not trying to hit my weight in grams, but would love to feel/see the work I'm putting in

Increased protein intake beyond what your body needs isn't going to get you results faster.