Whey Protein = No Way Protein

Replies

• hiryuu
    hiryuu Posts: 3 Member
    I was having the hardest time with Whey, I also HATED it...chocolate, vanilla, strawberry..mega ew. Then I found a flavor that I did like, but had to be specially ordered at GNC. It's Mocha Cappuccino Whey Gold Standard by Optimum Nutrition. I can't stand -any- of their other flavors, but I mix one scoop of this with one cup of milk (1%), and to me it tastes like a frappuccino. Hell, you could even make it one. Throw in 1 cup of milk, 1 scoop of powder, and a handful of ice in a blender. I actually now think of my protein supplement as a 'treat' and it really takes the edge off the day. I think it might be between finding a good brand, and a taste that you like. Sadly all are different. Best of luck to you!
  • JeremyCegers
    JeremyCegers Posts: 50 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Chicken, beef, eggs, steak, milk, cheese.

Tried that, was told I need to supplement. 6" and in the 275 range.

You're 275 with 57 pounds to lose. That means your protein intake should be around 180-190 grams. Not 275 grams.

Definitely not trying to hit my weight in grams, but would love to feel/see the work I'm putting in

Increased protein intake beyond what your body needs isn't going to get you results faster.

Not beyond, I'm not getting in enough at all. My meals are carb heavy. That's a whole 'nother story lol
  • JeremyCegers
    Try a few protein shake recipes. There's bound to be one you can stand.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/proteinshakes.htm

This is what I need! I would hate to throw it away after trying it once.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member

You're 275 with 57 pounds to lose. That means your protein intake should be around 180-190 grams. Not 275 grams.

Definitely not trying to hit my weight in grams, but would love to feel/see the work I'm putting in

Increased protein intake beyond what your body needs isn't going to get you results faster.

Not beyond, I'm not getting in enough at all. My meals are carb heavy. That's a whole 'nother story lol

In other words you need to plan ahead and make some changes to how you currently eat. You should be able to meet all your needs through diet without adding in supplements.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    I've got roughly your lbm, my goal is 160g/day. I "supplement" mostly with greek yogurt and canned salmon. It's a matter of taste...personally not a fan of lowfat cheese, cottage cheese or tuna. A bit over half of my protein comes from the "supplement", the rest is from my normal diet. Diary's always open if you want to look.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    The whey protein tastes and works fine to me. It may just depend on the brand. I get as much as I can in regular foods but I am just not good with eating breakfast so I use the protein shake for that.
  • JeremyCegers

In other words you need to plan ahead and make some changes to how you currently eat. You should be able to meet all your needs through diet without adding in supplements.

Just looked up the link and I'm going to try some smoothie ideas.
  • JeremyCegers
    hill8570 wrote: »
    I've got roughly your lbm, my goal is 160g/day. I "supplement" mostly with greek yogurt and canned salmon. It's a matter of taste...personally not a fan of lowfat cheese, cottage cheese or tuna. A bit over half of my protein comes from the "supplement", the rest is from my normal diet. Diary's always open if you want to look.

Thank you. I may have to try the Greek yogurt too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited February 2015

How far away from 200 grams we talkin? 180? Then you're fine. 160? You'll live. 120 or less? Then Eat up, Big Boy!

When I started on this site, I was close to your size. 6'1", 288. With the calories a guy of our size gets to eat, it's pretty damn easy to hit 170-180 grams of protein a day, provided you aren't a vegetarian or addicted to lasagna or something.

What's the problem with protein powder, exactly? If it's taste or texture, try different brands. And here's a tip: if you mix your protein drink and then let it sit for a while, the mix well dissolve so completely that you might not realize the powder is in there. Try mixing and storing in the fridge at night if you drink it in the morning, or before work and then drinking after work.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Eat meat, beans, and fish.
  • JeremyCegers
    hiryuu wrote: »
    I was having the hardest time with Whey, I also HATED it...chocolate, vanilla, strawberry..mega ew. Then I found a flavor that I did like, but had to be specially ordered at GNC. It's Mocha Cappuccino Whey Gold Standard by Optimum Nutrition. I can't stand -any- of their other flavors, but I mix one scoop of this with one cup of milk (1%), and to me it tastes like a frappuccino. Hell, you could even make it one. Throw in 1 cup of milk, 1 scoop of powder, and a handful of ice in a blender. I actually now think of my protein supplement as a 'treat' and it really takes the edge off the day. I think it might be between finding a good brand, and a taste that you like. Sadly all are different. Best of luck to you!

I spent a pretty penny at GNC on this stuff and was determined to get it in. I hope I can get to the level you are and begin to view it as a treat and not a requirement. Thank you for the positivity
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited February 2015
    DavPul wrote: »
    What's the problem with protein powder, exactly? If it's taste or texture, try different brands. And here's a tip: if you mix your protein drink and then let it sit for a while, the mix well dissolve so completely that you might not realize the powder is in there. Try mixing and storing in the fridge at night if you drink it in the morning, or before work and then drinking after work.

Letting it rest in the fridge, and then stirring it again before you eat it, also helps if you're mixing it in greek yogurt or cottage cheese (which makes for a pretty good protein bomb, just doesn't do it for me, texture-wise). Otherwise you can end up with clumps.

• JeremyCegers

How far away from 200 grams we talkin? 180? Then you're fine. 160? You'll live. 120 or less? Then Eat up, Big Boy!

When I started on this site, I was close to your size. 6'1", 288. With the calories a guy of our size gets to eat, it's pretty damn easy to hit 170-180 grams of protein a day, provided you aren't a vegetarian or addicted to lasagna or something.

Thank you for the tip. Its good to know someone knows the struggle lol
  • JeremyCegers
    Eat meat, beans, and fish.

Not a lot of time/energy for more cooking
  • JeremyCegers

Letting it rest in the fridge, and then stirring it again before you eat it, also helps if you're mixing it in greek yogurt or cottage cheese (which makes for a pretty good protein bomb, just doesn't do it for me, texture-wise). Otherwise you can end up with clumps.

It wasn't thick, it just was the consistency of a thick liquid and was just bad all around.
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    I'm not a big fan of straight protein shakes, but I love using whey protein powder in baking or protein pancakes. I also like it pretty well in oatmeal. Trutein Cinnabun flavor in oatmeal with a a banana makes a delicious breakfast. Also, Quest bars are very tasty. Greek yogurt, eggs cottage cheese, and all types of meat also work great.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    Pro tip #2: Jerky is your friend.

I order mine from Amazon so I can get the big bag in the flavor I like. But a few strips of jerky and you're going to add around 40 grams of pure protein to your day while satisfying an urge to snack on something that may eat into your calorie budget.

Double bonus is you don't have to cook or store it someplace special. I used to keep a bag in my desk and another one in my home.
  • JeremyCegers
    sing809 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of straight protein shakes, but I love using whey protein powder in baking or protein pancakes. I also like it pretty well in oatmeal. Trutein Cinnabun flavor in oatmeal with a a banana makes a delicious breakfast. Also, Quest bars are very tasty. Greek yogurt, eggs cottage cheese, and all types of meat also work great.

Cinnabun flavor? You have my interest lol
  • JeremyCegers
    Pro tip #2: Jerky is your friend.

I order mine from Amazon so I can get the big bag in the flavor I like. But a few strips of jerky and you're going to add around 40 grams of pure protein to your day while satisfying an urge to snack on something that may eat into your calorie budget.

Double bonus is you don't have to cook or store it someplace special. I used to keep a bag in my desk and another one in my home.

I love turkey jerky. I need to go and get some more actually
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    What type of Whey do you use? Concentrate? Isolate? Milk protein isolate? Do you only use it on shakes/beverages?

I favour Muscle Feast (unflavoured - Whey Protein Isolate). Apart from adding it into a smoothie incorporate it into my food, say, when I bake, juice etc.

Like others have suggested, look into alternative plant protein, protein bars and so forth...you could also look into other powders like Hemp Protein Powder (and see if you like it...I use Bob's Red Mill).