quesion/debate about women weightlifting

Options

Replies

• rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Weight training is super beneficial - it helps prevent bone loss, muscle burns more calories at rest than fat... the list goes on. You don't need to wait to start, it will only help you towards your goals.

The biggest thing I personally would note from all of this is:

Muscle takes up less space than fat so be sure to take measurements before you start a lifting program so that you can account for body re-composition and not feel defeated if the scale doesn't move at first.

a0cb7677bed7d32d910455ad28b78892.jpg
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well, technically he wakes up looking like Bruce Banner. Then he goes to the gym and someone is curling in the squat and then, we'll we all know what happens next.

B)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    revallyson wrote: »
    If you want to learn female-led, female-centric weight lifting, I HIGHLY recommend going to http://www.stumptuous.com/ ... She's been lifting for years, used to be quite pudgy, has worked her *kitten* off (literally), and has a wicked sense of humor. She also has lots of exercises listed, how to do them, videos, etc... for free. There's no cost at all... it's basically just her blog. She's my inspiration when I have down moments. :)

Oooh, thank you! I'm really put off by a lot of the male trainers (~cough~BretContreras~cough~) and their very douchey treatment/discussion of women. I do not want to hear what he thinks makes a woman "look hot." I want to hear about women kicking *kitten* and taking names while they get strong, thank you very much.

I kinda thought I was the only person who felt that way about Bret Contreras. The man may know his stuff but I hate that article of his that always gets posted.

I didn't post it because I was interested in his opinion of who is and isn't hot. I posted it because it happened to reference the exact person she mentioned, and because it discusses weight training for that kind of body type, which was what the OP was interested in. It's not why I train or the body I'm going for, but I'm not the OP.

LOL, don't worry, I thought it was an on topic link for you to post, you weren't tainted by association in my mind.

The article itself just makes me want to slap the man, though. But, then, I'm also not the kind of woman who would fuss over "what if the menz don't like my workout!!?!?!" so, you know....~shrugs~
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    rayneface wrote: »
    Weight training is super beneficial - it helps prevent bone loss, muscle burns more calories at rest than fat... the list goes on. You don't need to wait to start, it will only help you towards your goals.

Muscle takes up less space than fat so be sure to take measurements before you start a lifting program so that you can account for body re-composition and not feel defeated if the scale doesn't move at first.

Yes. Take pictures too. This was me when I first started lifting on the left, and a year later starting my first bulk on the right:

3adc875e-c415-41b0-992d-6430c1d58507_zps849ede27.png

Also, regarding how long it takes to build muscle, this should give you an idea. I have lifted an average of 3 times per week for two years, every week but two (I take a week off to go on vacation every year). Most of the progress I saw in terms of muscle building happened while bulking-- during the year I ate at maintenance I just got smaller.

e34ba407-6e5a-47d6-903c-59c82d5f512b_zps3cf7062a.png
  • Thickivory
    Thickivory Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Women don't bulk up like men do. I have a friend that's been weight lifting for years. She lifts over 185lbs she has an amazing body and I promise she doesn't look like a bulky man. Some women can even out lift men. She did say however that some men can be imitated by women lifting and even look down apon it. I say if you want to try it go for it.! Good luck:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If bulking up "man style" were that easy, every guy on the planet would be jacked. To "bulk" up you're going to have to have some crazy genetics on your side and you would have to eat a surplus of calories and really, you'd have to do some other program beyond New Rules...it's a great beginner program but don't kid yourself into thinking that's a body building program.

Here's how bulky you get lifting heavy things...

girl-from-nerd-fitness-for-scale-article.png
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Yes. Take pictures too. This was me when I first started lifting on the left, and a year later starting my first bulk on the right:

Also, regarding how long it takes to build muscle, this should give you an idea. I have lifted an average of 3 times per week for two years, every week but two (I take a week off to go on vacation every year). Most of the progress I saw in terms of muscle building happened while bulking-- during the year I ate at maintenance I just got smaller.

Show off. You've probably never eaten a cupcake or ice cream a day in your life.

*glances at profile pic*

Nope. Not even once. ;)
  • BerrySlim
    BerrySlim Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Some fitness girls look too heavy in the arms. Just don't lift heavy with arms shoulders and chest exercises. If you want a feminine look lift heavy with leg, butt, back exercises only. Don't forget your abs and you won't need weights for those.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

Show off. You've probably never eaten a cupcake or ice cream a day in your life.

*glances at profile pic*

Nope. Not even once. ;)

Is that Mr.M on that cupcake?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

*glances at profile pic*

Nope. Not even once. ;)

Cheeky

*glances at profile pic*

Nope. Not even once. ;)

:laugh:

No but I should totally make a Leo the Chihuahua cupcake.

It's a red panda. I was experimenting with fondant.

d20b4e00-ef60-4214-8ad8-9a4c01d7e6c7_zpsgtinnqp4.jpg

We would literally drive down there to pick it up.

If we do a meet-up this summer I'll see what I can do. ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Lift before you lose the weight! I cannot stress the amazingness that happens when you lift in a deficit. Trust me, no one has ever used the word "bulky" to describe me.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Ooooh, please do a cupcake with my pretty dog, too! I kind of think I should make her my profile as well, not to still Mr. M's thunder, but because if I'm going to be such a b!tch, I might as well have a profile pic of a b!tch....

DSCN0004.jpg

Aww she is gorgeous. Cavalier King Charles? That's going to be my next dog breed (don't tell the pugs).

But now I feel bad for derailing OP's thread.

Good call, Charlotte is, indeed, a CKC spaniel. Totally true-to-breed personality wise. In other words, expert at beseeching looks, cuddles, and extracting treats and belly rubs from total strangers.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    revallyson wrote: »
    If you want to learn female-led, female-centric weight lifting, I HIGHLY recommend going to http://www.stumptuous.com/ ... She's been lifting for years, used to be quite pudgy, has worked her *kitten* off (literally), and has a wicked sense of humor. She also has lots of exercises listed, how to do them, videos, etc... for free. There's no cost at all... it's basically just her blog. She's my inspiration when I have down moments. :)

Oooh, thank you! I'm really put off by a lot of the male trainers (~cough~BretContreras~cough~) and their very douchey treatment/discussion of women. I do not want to hear what he thinks makes a woman "look hot." I want to hear about women kicking *kitten* and taking names while they get strong, thank you very much.

I find him annoying for that reason too. I lift to be badass. Looking hot is a side effect.

That "Venus Factor" annoys me too.