Is a calorie, a calorie? (Question about Protein)

Options
2»

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    jay8anks wrote: »
    MFP is a great place to log calories. The message board is a horrible place to ask for advice on eating healthy. This is the crap you get if you do:

Eat Like An American, Die Like An American!

cryingbaldeagle.gif

Your post had nothing to do with the op. So confused.

Apparently he just needs a mean people thread for bingo and wants to turn this into one. Otherwise, yeah I have no clue what he's going on about.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So everything you eat is used by the body. If you are expending more than you are eating that day, the fat stores will be utilized. If you eat more than you are expending that day, the reserves will be stored as fat.

Note that fat converts to both glycerol and "free fatty acids", so you could say your fat converts to the proteins you need, too.
  • JackPudding
    JackPudding Posts: 37 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's a scholarly article which concluded, "There were no differences among dietary treatments [HIPRO and control] in any of the measured [muscle] attributes (P > 0.05)"

http://www.sdstate.edu/ars/species/meat-science/upload/137-1-1.pdf

The trick is magic, not science.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    The short version: Some protein will be used for muscle repair if you're weight training, yes. But there's a limit to how much. More isn't necessarily better, past a certain point. The excess over that amount will be converted to glucose and stored as fat if you don't burn it, similar to carbs.

So, the $64,000 question is: How much can your body use for muscle repair? Where's that cutoff?

There's no simple answer, unfortunately. There are a lot of studies out there that have tried to define the upper limit, and many of them agree or disagree on various points because this is an ongoing area of research and controlled studies are hard to do. Some numbers that get bandied about are:
    • The body can't "use" more than about 25-30g of protein at a time for muscle repair. This is a controversial statement but one that seems to be supported by a bunch of studies. It seems to lend some support to the idea of spreading out your protein intake throughout the day in more smaller meals, rather than eating it all at once.
    • The American RDA for protein is about 46g/day for average women and 56g/day for average men, but these not adjusted for age, size, or the fact that you're losing weight. I'd consider these to be bare minimums.
    • The Canadian RDA for protein is 0.8g/kg of body weight. So convert your current weight to kilograms, and then multiply that by 0.8. So for instance, a 200lb man would need 72g of protein per day, while an 125lb woman would need 45g of protein per day. Again, these are minimums and most people would find these values to be low.
    • There are some studies that suggest that a decent range is between 0.8g and 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. So, for a 200lb man who has 25% body fat, he'd have about 150lbs of lean body mass and therefore could aim for 120-150g of protein per day. Again, YMMV based on the studies you read, and you can make up your own mind, but this is a decent guide for many people to see if they're in range.
    • The weight lifting community tends to say that you should aim for between 0.82 and 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Most scientific studies will claim that this is excessively high, though, and that at this level there's really no observed benefit over a lower level of protein. However, you likely won't do yourself any harm at this level either, as long as you're getting enough fats.

Hope this helps!

I've heard the first one said time and time again, but no one seems to bother saying what "at a time" is supposed to mean. As long as it's in your stomach? As long as it takes to fully digest? And how long is that anyway? That answer is easy thanks to google. About 6-8 hours to get to your large intestine and about35 hours until it, erm, comes out the other end.
    So can you only absorb 30 g of protein every 8 hours? That doesn't seem right. Every 35 even less.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do some form of resistance training everyday. Does that mean that all the protein i eat goes to my muscles? and not to fat?

So hypothetically if i eat 100grams of protein one day which is 1000 calories and then 100 grams of carb which is also 1000 calories and do the same amount of weight training on each day, would I lose more body fat on the day i ate the protein?

That's only hypothetical by the way^ Thats not what i actually eat. Also no rude or troll answers...

Most likely scenario? You burn out because you're not recovering without rest days and adequate protein and just end up fat.