Excercise without SHOES???? Really???

Options
I have a really weird thought today ...

Can you workout without shoes ie, just bare naked feet???

I know a lot of people say its not good for your knees. What about Insanity? Can do even attempt to do Insanity with naked feet?

I feel funny when I think of exercising without shoes really!! And I forgot to bring my sport shoes on my holiday - so please suggest what exercises I can do now??

P.S - I love SHAUN T and CHALENE! ;)

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I exercise at home without shoes, weight lifting. I use flip flops on my elliptical.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I know a lot of people say its not good for your knees. What about Insanity? Can do even attempt to do Insanity with naked feet?

I feel funny when I think of exercising without shoes really!! And I forgot to bring my sport shoes on my holiday - so please suggest what exercises I can do now??

I strictly work out WITHOUT shoes. I even do Insanity, which I have just started (finished my first week!) and run in the elliptical without shoes. When I wear shoes, my feet start to cramp within a minute or two and it actually becomes more painful to workout so I just don't wear shoes.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Go read the book "Born to Run" and then come back. Human feet are extremely complex machines. They evolved to allow us to jump and run miles without shoes. Even the advent of shoes "with support" is extremely recent compared to all of human history.

Short answer: YES, you can exercise without shoes. Ultimately, it may actually be more beneficial for your body and feet to go without shoes entirely. (that doesn't mean you're doing anything WRONG by working out in shoes.)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I work out without shoes on all the time. I do Turbofire, P90X, Firm workouts and Walk Away the Pounds all in bare feet. I used to do Taekwondo at a studio and we were required to workout barefoot. Since I love being barefoot it was only natural that I ended up without shoes at home too. I should mention that I have foam tiles on the floor where I workout so it's not like I'm directly on a hard floor but it's not super cushy or springy either.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes when I do my DVDs......even the jumping doesn't bother me. My knees are already shot from all the excess weight anyway.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    When I'm squeezing in a quick workout at home (usually in my room) I'll almost exclusively do it without shoes. I've been doing 30 Day shred for the past week without them, but I've noticed it's pretty hard to do a couple of the moves without them, so I'll just put them on for those.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I finished my P90X Plyo without shoes. My cross trainers were a bad buy and I was getting blisters on the bottoms of my toes so I took them off.

I used to do modern dance which is essentially barefoot.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with no shoes. Cardio, weights, yoga, whatever. If my ankle is bothering me, I might wear my ankle brace. But still, probably not shoes, lol. I have a weird mental thing against wearing shoes at home. But I wouldn't get on a machine without shoes, you might pinch your toes and get hurt! And definitely, I'd wear shoes in a gym!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, through hundreds of thousands of years of evolution, the human foot actually works all by itself without expensive crosstrainers or running shoes. =)
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I exercise almost exclusively sans shoes. Of course, I'm a swimmer, but yes, it is possible to work out without shoes.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    WEnt to the gym tonight, ran on the treadmill then kicked off my sneakers to lift weights in my socks. Front squats, close grip bench press, bent over rows, Romanian deadlifts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    In many cases, shoes are what caused foot problems.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jimfoxer
    jimfoxer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    No shoes here. LOVE barefoot running! And when I need protection on my feet, Vibram Five Fingers all the way! I own 4 pair and wear them everywhere (I even have leather ones that look professional enough to go out in public with, so I'm even walking barefoot (or at least what feels to be barefoot) throughout the day). I used to suffer from shin splints and a lot of other ailments while running until I finally ditched the shoes. And I can tell you, I run over 5 miles a day and not a single leg pain from running since I went barefoot.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do tae-bo without shoes. Also lift without them on. I like my feet naked and don't have any knee issues or anything.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, through hundreds of thousands of years of evolution, the human foot actually works all by itself without expensive crosstrainers or running shoes. =)

Yes, one could argue that almost all of our running/exercise injuries are caused by shoes and not prevented by them.

The shoe companies actually know this and go about their business anyways. Chris McDougall's Born To Run exposed them to some extent, which is why they all offer minimalist-style shoes now
  • janessafantasma
    Options

This made me laugh.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Yes, one could argue that almost all of our running/exercise injuries are caused by shoes and not prevented by them.

The shoe companies actually know this and go about their business anyways. Chris McDougall's Born To Run exposed them to some extent, which is why they all offer minimalist-style shoes now

And some would argue that these cushy raised-heel shoes cause a muscular imbalance/dependence on this type of footwear - done intentionally to keep people in them.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've never exercised with shoes at home. I naturally hate wearing footwear and socks in general lol
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with no shoes. Cardio, weights, yoga, whatever. If my ankle is bothering me, I might wear my ankle brace. But still, probably not shoes, lol. I have a weird mental thing against wearing shoes at home. But I wouldn't get on a machine without shoes, you might pinch your toes and get hurt! And definitely, I'd wear shoes in a gym!

You and me are soul mates lol! The shoes are the first thing that come off when I get home. That being said, I never work out with shoes on. I do my dancing without them and if I decide to workout on the beach, I take my shoes off as soon as I get to the sand. It works for me and keeps me from hurting from my hips to my toes.
  • janessafantasma
    Options

How do you feel about minimalist shoes? I've been looking into getting a pair but I am not sure yet. I fractured my spine as a kid and my hips and pelvis are messed up and one leg is comically longer than the other and I always work out barefoot because my feet hurt when I wear shoes and I love walking around barefoot as well. Are they worth it or just another marketing ploy?