Excercise without SHOES???? Really???

Options

Replies

• pdiddy02
    pdiddy02 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with no shoes. Cardio, weights, yoga, whatever. If my ankle is bothering me, I might wear my ankle brace. But still, probably not shoes, lol. I have a weird mental thing against wearing shoes at home. But I wouldn't get on a machine without shoes, you might pinch your toes and get hurt! And definitely, I'd wear shoes in a gym!

You and me are soul mates lol! The shoes are the first thing that come off when I get home. That being said, I never work out with shoes on. I do my dancing without them and if I decide to workout on the beach, I take my shoes off as soon as I get to the sand. It works for me and keeps me from hurting from my hips to my toes.

That's nice to know that a lot of people workout without shoes and barefoot... I will def try and see how it works for me!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've done Tae Kwon Do for several years and we're required to workout barefoot, as result, on the rare occasions I do workout at home, I'm usually barefoot.

I wouldn't run barefoot or wearing barefoot style trainers, I much prefer my running shoes. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    not in my gym you can't!!
    i got told off once cos i took my shoes off
    my feet were really hurting!
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i wear 5 finger shoes, I couldn't squat or deadlift in anything else
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Exercise without shoes? Are you crazy?

Four30+Walker+MMA+jmb.JPG
  • Nicoleace22
    Nicoleace22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So happy to know I'm not the only one. My whole house treats me as if Im an anomaly! LOL!

Shows them,

But really I don't like shoes at all. They make my feet hurt. I never have on shoes once I'm home. When I go out they are necessary but still EVIL!:grumble:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

Love it!!
  • pdiddy02
    pdiddy02 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Awesome! I wonder which world I was living in :wink: :laugh: :tongue: :glasses:
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Id be shoeless for the rest of my life f i could ()
  • Twisted_sista
    Twisted_sista Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used the treadmill once with bare feet and I will never ever ever do it again. My feet were so sore for like a week after.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I believe in technology, and I simply can't believe that shoes are fundamentally bad for you. Sure we evolved without shoes, but back then our life expectancy was low too, so primitive humans were more likely to die before they wear out their knees. Now that we live longer and longer, reducing the impact of running through cushioning becomes important.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Exercising without shoes is actually good for you. When you land awkwardly from jumping, your body will let you know that what you just did doesn't feel right and that is why you felt pain, so you learn to adjust. Now if you were wearing shoes that were able to absorb that slight pain because they have extra cushion, then one might argue that the shoes will cause you injury in the long run because they masked the pain and potential injury signs.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Shoes make me slip on my floor when I'm jumping around! Bare feet much more steady. I just make sure to be careful with form on the ankles more than anything.
  • BigFishRS
    BigFishRS Posts: 1
    Options
    Personally I love to have no shoes on. I do however typically workout in shared areas with shoes but that's more for safety and sanitary reasons. My trainer wouldn't let me keep my shoes on if I wanted to while I was doing Kettle Bells. It throws off your balance too much especially when getting low to the ground and swinging upwards of a 40 lb weight while trying to keep your balance.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I actually can't do Insanity with my shoes on...If I try and start off with sneakers, I have to take them off because my feet cramp and burn. It's horrible. Barefoot all the way for me baby! x
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Awesome! I wonder which world I was living in :wink: :laugh: :tongue: :glasses:

:)

TBH I will look at the situation in hand.
    -If I'm at home then I train in socks. I've never dropped a heavy weight on my foot.
    -If I'm at a gym, then I'd rather wear shoes because others have worn outside shoes on the floor or have gone bare footed and may have dodgy feet.
    -If the floor's rough and I intend to do lots of rapid changes of direction, I'll also wear appropriate shoes.
    -For my classes, if students want to take their shoes off, then I warn them of the possibility of splinters for classes in a church hall.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the worst thing to happen to feet is the invention of the athletic sneaker.

when you run, your foot strikes the ground with the force of up to 12 times your body weight. do you think a half inch piece of rubber is going to protect your feet?? feet are meant to naturally pronate and adjust to the ground underneath it.

a study of gymnasts show that when they land on a soft rubber surface after their routine, they tend to hit the mat harder to stick their landing. why? because they subconsciously know that they are landing on an uneven surface, and are looking for balance. but on a harder surface, they land much lighter. same with runners. many of the best track coaches out there have their runners do at least part of their work out on grass to promote foot strength.

injuries among athletes and runners have gone up since the invention of the athletic sneaker. the best kind are the new minimus style shoes that allow your foot to naturally adjust to the ground. however, these shoes aren't "new." athletic sneakers were developed in the 70's, and the founder of nike convinced the running world that longer heel striking strides were better for longer distances, and with his newly developed cushioned heel shoe, you could do such a thing. before that, people ran in thin soled shoes, resembling slippers.
  • meredithkrueger
    Options
    I went through a period of wearing no shoes during workouts at home but ended up with plantar fascitis. My arches had problems from all the pounding. With PF, in order to heal, you have to wear shoes from the time you get out of bed until the time you get in bed. It was VERY painful! Needless to say, I have healed but I will no longer exercise without shoes...
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I lift barefoot (at home).
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten into the barefoot running thing, too afraid I'll cut my foot open on a piece of glass on the city streets and end up with tetanus.

However I do workout barefoot at home. I do yoga, dance, pilates, my You Are Your Own Gym strength body weight strength workouts and kettlebells.

Shoes are for outside.