Is it possible to work out the total calories from nutritional info?

Options
This may be a stupid question but can you work out a foods calories from the nutritional info? I enjoy the freshly topped pizzas from Sainsbury's but there's no label on them so I emailed them and they gave me the following info:

Energy 1176.7g
Fat 10.1g
Saturates 5.0g
Sugars 4.9g
Salt 1.63g

But there's nothing about the calories, and I was wondering if it's possible to calculate it from the information they gave me.

Regards,

Replies

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Calories are energy.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yes, the calories in this case are 1176.7.

And to answer your other question, sort of but not really. In theory, if you add up protein x 4, carbs x 4 and fat x 9, you'd get total calories. In practice, due to rounding errors, this can be off by quite a bit.

Remember that all nutrition labels have about a 20% margin of error that's allowable by law.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Calories are energy.

I was right then, it was a stupid question :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    1176.7 calories. What's the portion size?
  • segacs
    Options
    Calories are energy.

I was right then, it was a stupid question :D

Nah. No stupid questions. The only stupidity is not asking the questions and therefore not learning.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question but can you work out a foods calories from the nutritional info? I enjoy the freshly topped pizzas from Sainsbury's but there's no label on them so I emailed them and they gave me the following info:

Energy 1176.7g
    Fat 10.1g
    Saturates 5.0g
    Sugars 4.9g
    Salt 1.63g

But there's nothing about the calories, and I was wondering if it's possible to calculate it from the information they gave me.

Regards,

Protein and carbs are about 4 calories per gram and fat is about 9 calories per gram. So yes.

Or no. I looked again at the info they gave you. "Energy" is not measured in grams. I don't know what that's supposed to mean. And I don't see any protein listed, which I think is probably a mistake. And it has only 10.1 grams of fat. What kind of crappy pizza has only 10 grams of fat?

If I were you I'd make sure I never ate that pizza again.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    1176.7 calories. What's the portion size?

I have half for dinner.
  • segacs
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Or no. I looked again at the info they gave you. "Energy" is not measured in grams. I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

I'd just assume it's a typo in the email. Sounds like calories to me.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    But where is the protein? And what kind of fake pizza has only 10 grams of fat?

RUN away from that "pizza."
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think the 1176.7 is supposed to be in kilojoules, ie. 281 calories. I did a little search and this is how Sainsbury's reports their nutrition info for pizza:
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-thin---crispy-meat-feast-pizza-10-325g
    So I think for your pizza, 1/2 pizza is 1176.7 kJ or 281 calories with 10.1 g of fat. Unfortunately because you only received the upper part, you can't figure out the carbs or protein. The best you can say is carbs+protein=190 calories=47 grams. For me I might just estimate 24 g carbs and 23 G protein because that seems to be a reasonable split. That was a lot of work for one little pizza.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    no kidding!
    You guys are amazing.