Shirataki noodles...the miracle food?

Options
jtamok
jtamok Posts: 4 Member
So I decided to try out the Dinner Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine noodles last night with rose sauce and some shrimp. I was very nervous to try them since I'm quite a picky eater. However, I have to say that they're not that bad at all! For only 40 calories for the ENTIRE package (I ate half last night and half right now)....well what can I say, you just can't beat that. :smile:

The noodles don't really have much of a taste and the texture is softer than regular pasta (almost like it's overcooked?) But honestly, those were the only faults I found with it.

You just have to prepare them right...since the liquid the noodles are packaged in is not appetizing! So make sure you rinse them in a strainer for a couple minutes and then I did a 3 minute quick boil!

I'm very pleasantly surprised and I'm excited to try them out again in different recipes (ie, other pastas dishes or asian cuisine).
I also found that they are (obviously) not as filling as regular pasta--althought I did get a little of a placebo effect! So i would suggest teaming them up with something high and protein to curve late night cravings!

Just wanted to see if anyone else had such good results...or are you not fan of these "miracle noodles"?

P.S. I did have problems finding them and only found them at a Japanese specialty store.

Replies

• nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love them! I cook it with tofu, soy sauce and honey or agave nectar with hot sauce and tons of veggies.

Places you can find them:
    Shaws
    Hannafords
    A Market
    Whole foods

These are all in the north though.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE shirataki noodles!!! I get them in the produce department of my supermarket. (Meijer - dont know if you have those)
  • NovelaNite
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone else had tried these! I like them a lot, especially for days where I've had a heavy meal early on, and need to scrimp on cals for the rest of the day. My local co-op sells a spinach variety called Pasta Slim that has a little more flavor. I make them with a simple marinara, and they taste pretty similar to fresh homemade flour noodles.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Ha ha!! There is an ad for the noodles right now! Never heard of them until I read this post. Where did you get them?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    http://www.miraclenoodle.com/?gclid=CIzVr4-ylKICFQz_iAod6hBCIg

I was skimming through the thread and as always the product ad came up on the side of my screen:laugh:
    Not pushing this company but thought I'd share the link since it has other types of Miracle noodles (spinach, assorted etc.), Even just to simply check out for curiosity on types you might find in stores. I think you can also order from this site above but didn't look over the site enough to be able to pass along details.

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love shirataki noodles! They're especially good on those days where you're just starving, because you can pretty much double the volume of whatever you're eating :smile: OP is right in that you do have to rinse them really, really well to get rid of the fishy smell from the liquid they're packed in. But once you do, there's no trace of it in the flavor.

What I like to do is rinse and drain them, then chop them up and use them like rice (the spaghetti ones). Plus, whatever spices you sauté them in, they'll soak up the flavor like nobody's business. I like to sauté them in a tiny bit of seasoned oil or even Pam until they are super dried out, which gives them a much firmer texture. You can tell, because they almost squeak in the pan. Or, if I'm using any sauce, I'll sauté them in a bit of the sauce until they're ready, then add everything else (this also keeps them from absorbing all the sauce.)

One really good recipe is to brown up some lean ground beef, drain it and set it aside. Turn the heat up to high and dump in the noodles and a bit of enchilada sauce (I use the kind that only has 25 calories per serving) and sauté them until squeaky. Put the ground beef back in, add the rest of the sauce, let simmer for a few minutes, then add some low-fat shredded cheese and pop in the over for a few minutes until it's all melted. It's gooey goodness! You can also toss in some black beans for more fiber and protein, or kick up the heat with some jalapeños chili paste or powder. Perfect when you're craving badness, because it's not that bad at all!

ETA: If you're in Florida, I buy mine at my neighborhood Publix in the organic veggie area or Nutrition 'Smart.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    OMG! I don't know how anyone can eat those things! They're SO disgusting! I tried them years ago - it felt like I was eating worms! Worse yet was when they were passed through my system completely undigested - looked like I pooped out tapeworms! Never again!

God love ya if you can eat them!
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    I've heard of these, but have been afraid they would not be so good. Looks like I may have to try them out. The recipe with the beef and enchilada sauce sounds delicious!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I purchased several packs from Miracle Noodle and was both hesitant and excited to try them. Let me tell you I couldn't even swallow the one bite that I took. It wasn't from taste or anything, but the texture of those noodles made me gag. I sent them back for a refund right away.

I now have an actual pack of the Shirataki Noodles, from the produce section of my grocery store, sitting in my fridge, that I am trying to get up enough nerve to try. (I think the Miracle Noodles are actually a little different than the Shirataki.) But, the ones from the grocery store actually feel a little different, in the package, than the Miracle Noodles did.

Anyway, I had read so many posts, on here, from those who love them, plus Hungry Girl uses them in a lot of recipes. I am really, really hoping that the ones from the grocery store, the actual Shirataki Noodles, are better than the Miracle Noodle because I used to eat pasta ALL of the time and am kind of missing it as much.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    OMG! I don't know how anyone can eat those things! They're SO disgusting! I tried them years ago - it felt like I was eating worms! Worse yet was when they were passed through my system completely undigested - looked like I pooped out tapeworms! Never again!

God love ya if you can eat them!
    OMG!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: