?Plateau

Options
I think I may be stuck in a plateau this week. What should I do to get through it?

Replies

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Switch up your diet/exercise? Maybe eat at maintenance for one day, then return to your calorie limit?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's only a week, just keep going! Weight loss isn't linear, some weeks you'll lose weight, some you'll stay the same, some you'll gain. It's not a plateau just yet, don't worry!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have gone months stuck in a 2-3 pound range. Just keep consistent and log and measure everything. Your body can range a few pounds in the SAME day! So just stay consistent with your net calories at a deficit and you will see progress.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A week is not a plateau. There will always be weeks where you don't lose/gain due to a number of factors (sodium intake, hormones, increase in exercise, lack of sleep, stress, and general weight loss not being linear).
  • capedorsetgirl
    capedorsetgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I was just concerned as I have been under my calorie intake (with the exception of 2 days last week) and am of the treadmill 5 days a week for 55-75 minutes each time burning between 480-550 calories and not seeing a loss, but a gain. No change in measurements either. That's why I thought maybe I was heading into a plateau.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I was just concerned as I have been under my calorie intake (with the exception of 2 days last week) and am of the treadmill 5 days a week for 55-75 minutes each time burning between 480-550 calories and not seeing a loss, but a gain. No change in measurements either. That's why I thought maybe I was heading into a plateau.

There are any number of reasons why this might be - esp as a women. Water retention can mask any loss and that could be due to hormones, increase in exercise, sodium levels etc.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider it a plataue until its been at least four weeks. A few things can stall you out such as where you are in your cycle or if you had a high sodium meal. Do you have a food scale and are you weighing all your food?
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Plateau is several weeks/months with no weight loss, and is usually the result of inaccuracies in logging leading the person to believe they are in a deficit when actually they are eating at maintenance. If your logging is accurate, just be patient. As others have said, weight loss is not always linear.
  • aboldish22
    Options
    How many calories are you currently consuming and what is your maintenance? Also water and sodium play a huge factor. You could lose weight but eat a high sodium meal or two and retain water for a while.
  • capedorsetgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I do weigh everything and log everything that does in my mouth. I guess that's why I was feeling frustrated. I'm back to being motivated again!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a plateau. You have just been eating too much....
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP,

I have had 2 "plateau"s so far in my journey of losing 125 pounds so far. (Sorry but I hate to call it a plateau)

Let me explain
    1st time plateau was because it was a mental thing. I had gotten drained and like someone told me yesterday it probably was because (quoting in their words) "our mind has to yet to catch up with our body".
    It ended when I took a break of a week and re-started logging again.

My 2nd plateau (on scale) is/was a very recent one. I have had been hovering over same one pound plus minus but what had happened meanwhile was I lost 2 pant sizes and one shirt size. What I'm told this is a case of re-comp. It's a new term for me and I'm learning and as I type for you there is a very nice conversation going on in the other thread about it.

I hope my little experience helps you. Don't worry about not seeing any change for a week. Also right around women's cycle our bodies tend to retain water so that's one factor.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I do weigh everything and log everything that does in my mouth. I guess that's why I was feeling frustrated. I'm back to being motivated again!

Have you adjusted and updated your TDEE - x% after you have lost last time? Please don't forget that to create deficit.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think I may be stuck in a plateau this week. What should I do to get through it?

Make sure that you're logging is accurate and just keep on keeping on if it is. Also, make sure that you are at an accurate rate of loss for your current weight. You need to readjust your intake as your weight goes down.

• capedorsetgirl
    Options
    [quote = Have you adjusted and updated your TDEE - x% after you have lost last time? Please don't forget that to create deficit.[/quote]

Update my TDEE-x%? What is this and where do I find it?